Debated between Holiday Inn Express 5th Ave. & 45th near Times Square and this hotel. The Holiday Inn TA comments mentioned noise and tiny rooms. Chose this hotel for spaciousness, convenience in driving/parking, and quiet night's sleep. Arrived, via own car, early afternoon the day after Christmas and were greeted by the very personable valet. Our room was ready so we went right up and dropped off our belongings. Then we headed to NYC via the convenient PATH station immediately adjacent to the hotel.
The hotel's kiosk attendants/front desk staff were personable and helpful. Location felt very safe even at 2am when we romped through the charmingly decorated and illuminated Christmas garden behind the hotel just before the riverfront walkway. We walked along the riverfront at 2am taking in the picturesque NYC skyline.
Perfect location across from large indoor mall with theater so we could catch a late night showing of MI4: Ghost Protocol. Cosi is across the street for breakfast and lunch. The hotel lobby also has a Starbucks cafe w/ light fare, but the hours seemed limited?
My three daughters and I had a terrific, but short visit. The hotel was mostly quiet, though we did hear some noise from the room next door as they readied themselves in the am. We slept in and the beds were very comfy and the room cozy. I am a light sleeper and there were no AC/Heating noises.
After checking out, we headed to Hoboken 1 mi. north to visit Carlos' Bakery and the wait to get in was over 3 hrs. Instead, we joined other tourists in taking pics out front. But, we did find a fun overstock shop, Cheap Maggies, right on the main street. Bought good quality college hoodies and NCAA tournament jackets/hoodies for $5 each. The girls found some American Eagle real suede boots for $20/pair. Leather jackets were plentiful and reasonably priced too.
If you want to drive up to NYC and not deal w/ the hassle of driving IN NYC, this is the place to stay. You get the amazing NYC skyline, nearly riverfront location, mall convenience, and easy NYC access via the PATH which lets you out at WTC or 33rd not far from Macy's, Penn Station, Empire State Building. $2.00 each way per person, The only down side to the PATH is that it doesn't run frequently on weekdays. We waited at least 15-20 mins. for the train midday. The trip itself is quite short - 8-12 mins. depending on the stop.
Something we learned about using the NYC subway is that you can only have 2 credit card transactions a day. After being locked out of the automated machine and checking w/ the attendant, he recommended we all 4 share ONE card. I don't know how that would go over during rush hour, but that's what we did - tricky, but doable. I don't like to travel w/ much cash, but that could be an alternative to the credit card limitation if you don't mind carrying the leftover change. I do as I like to travel light. ;-)
We attempted to eat at the well reviewed Brooklyn Diner at 212 W. 57th St. near 7th Ave./Carnegie Hall. After a 15 min. wait, we were somewhat seated. The place is VERY SMALL - customers are sitting on top of one another, w/ no room to put your coat on the back of your chair. Prices were high even for NYC. $15-20 for a hamburger. We opted to leave and go to our usual diner, La Parisienne, at 910 7th Ave. near Central Park/Carnegie Hall (around the corner from Brooklyn Diner) which serves basic but tasty diner food. We again got the Reuben platter ($11) and tried their hot roast beef sandwich w/ gravy ($10) which was tasty. The triple decker club sandwiches looked yummy. We'll be trying those next visit. They are hospitable and the food is decent. http://www.allmenus.com/ny/new-york/113711-la-parisienne/menu/
Travelling w/ a family, this hotel is an excellent choice and makes visiting NYC and Carlos' Bakery much easier and enjoyable. Paid $179 plus tax for 2 queen bed room. I think this was a standard room, but it was quite spacious.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Courtyard Jersey City Newport, a tranquil oasis near the excitement of the city, boasts the ideal location near New York City and all that it has to offer. As one of the premier Jersey City hotels near Hoboken, NJ, guests can take advantage of our close proximity to Newport Centre Mall and other popular area attractions. The update lobby at our Newport hotel features modern design, multifunctional common areas, and convenient amenities. Unique among hotels in Jersey City, our GoBoard(R) allows guests to stay current with the latest in entertainment, news, weather and airport conditions. As an added feature standing out from other Hoboken hotels, The Bistro - Eat. Drink. Connect.(R) - serves fresh meals for guests to wine and dine with colleagues or friends and family. Our spacious accommodations feature contemporary design, luxury bedding, large work areas, and more. Guests will experience both the quality of a Marriott hotel and all of the comforts of home when staying at the Courtyard Jersey City Newport. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia APAC, Wotif.com, Marriott, lastminute.com.au, Hotels.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Courtyard Jersey City Newport reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Courtyard Jersey City Newport Hotel Jersey City
- Jersey City Courtyard
- Jersey City Marriott
- Courtyard Jersey City Newport New Jersey