“Ooh, That Smell”

Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Delivery
Dining options: Delivery
Reviewed 17 May 2017

When the wood grill aroma overtakes as you approach the building, you know you're in for a taste treat of Portuguese BBQ. Service began with a welcome warm roll and butter. If you enjoy spice, try their grilled Portuguese sausage appetizer. I found the fried bacallao fish cakes to be bland. Their pork ribs, though, were tasty, moist and tender. The 1/2 chicken was juicy and tangy and came with plentiful sides of firm rice and beans. They have BBQ and hot sauce available but it's not noteworthy. Choose from assorted soft drinks in the cooler. The staff is hard-working. With about 10 cramped tables, I understand why take-out orders appear popular. There's only 5 parking spaces alongside their building, but you can park for free on nearby side streets. It was a cold evening when we visited and we had to eat in with our coats on to protect ourselves from the wind blowing in every time a customer entered or exited through the entry door. They're located diagonally across from the Hackensack University hospital complex.

Reviewed 16 May 2017 via mobile

Stopped by for lunch when visiting Hackensack hospital. I had the 1/2 portion of pork ribs with rice and beans. The portion was large and the price very reasonable. Although good the ribs had more fat than I would expect. I would go back but would try something else.

Reviewed 14 February 2017

My husband and I were driving home to Buffalo from NYC, and were relying on our GPS to lead us to a place to eat in Hackensack. I had probably the best pulled pork sandwich ever...so good that I did not even bother adding barbecue sauce, and my husband had the chicken and ribs combo, also wonderful, and which came with enough rice and beans to feed a family of four. Portion sizes were enormous, food is authentic and delicious, and although this is not a fancy place in any sense of the word, the restaurant is clean and service is warm and friendly. We would definitely come here again on our way home to Buffalo, even if it's a little out of the way. We were so full leaving the place, we didn't eat for the rest of the day (and we came at 3pm).

Reviewed 7 November 2016

Great take out food. BBQ chicken plus rice, beans at a reasonable price. Take the opportunity to stop in or have this delicious meal delivered.

Reviewed 15 June 2016

On the recommendation of a friend, we decided to give this place a try. Yes, they have off street parking, but the amount is limited and it can be a tight squeeze if a big SUV parks next to you.

We ordered a combination of Ribs, Chicken and Beef with rice and fries as our main course. The food was served quickly enough. The chicken was on the dry side and the beef was slightly overcooked.