“Beautiful historical hotel in ideal location in Cape May”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Congress Hall

Congress Hall
Ranked #3 of 37 Hotels in Cape May
Rockville, Maryland (Washington Dc)
“Beautiful historical hotel in ideal location in Cape May”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

My husband, son, and I stayed in the annex-view two double-bed room. The room was beautifully decorated, spotless, and very large and comfortable. The hotel is stylish and sophisticated, without being stuffy, and maintains the original historical design and charming quirks (slanty floors). The staff are warm and helpful, and the location could not be better -- central, on the beachfront, and close to everything. We had a delicious dinner at the Blue Pig restaurant at the hotel, and a relaxing stroll (very safe, even off season). I highly recommend this hotel for families. It's a little pricey, but worth it.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank dhbchq

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
Philadelphia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

I stayed here last summer and rented a room with an "Ocean View". Our room was on the top floor, just above the porch roof. Our windows (2, side-by-side) were small and one was blocked with the window A/C unit. So, for an Ocean View premium at least 1/2 our view was blocked by roof and an A/C. Plus, those rooms overlook the pool area which gets very noisy very early. I awoke to loud cheering/chanting near the pool area one morning at 6:30am.

On the plus side, we loved having towels, loungers and umbrellas already on the beach so we just toted our beach toys and sunblock. Get there early as I noticed a few groups "reserving" spots then leaving. I assume those people were planning on returning later but I stayed at least 1 hour after they set up camp and they hadn't returned within that time.

The porch rocking chairs and adirondack chairs on the lawn were great!!!

Room Tip: Avoid the third floor Ocean View rooms. Check out the pictures of the back porch area and look up a...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank dweedledee
Flemington, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

Congress Hall is an imposing, old world hotel on the wqaterfront in Cape May, New Jersey.
Our Queen room was upgraded to a King on check-in, and while old with few updates, it was clean and comfortable. The public areas of the hotel exude 19th Century charm and the staff were courteous and helpful. The location adjacent to the Washington Street pedestrian mall is a convenient bonus. We will stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for Ocean View
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pjrule
Wall, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2012

My wife and I have been staying at Congress Hall since the renovation. We go at least twice a year and have never been disappointed. It has all the modern amenities while retaining the Victorian charm. We always go in December, the week before Christmas for our anniversary and the hotel is wonderfully decorated as is the entire town of Cape May. Cocktails in the Brown room are always fun and you can always strike up a conversation with someone at the bar. There is a great fireplace in the Brown room as well. The Blue Pig Tavern is very nice for Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner and I especially like the Steak and (Crab) Cake.The staff are always very courteous and accommodating and especially on our most recent stay this week, seemed to want to go out of their way to make us happy. The general manager, Mr. John Daily can always be seen around the hotel and is very approachable. Congress Hall has, for many years, been our home away from home. We look forward to our next visit!

Room Tip: The ocean view rooms are a bit more expensive but the view is wonderful!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

I was very pleased to find this room with two "Queen" beds and an elevator for me and 85-yr old mother at very short notice as it was out of season, too. We got the $20 breakfast voucher at the Blue Pig Tavern which offered a marvelous breakfast. The best thing about the hotel in my view, is the location. It's central to local shops and restaurants as well as the beach. We had an ocean front room which is the only thing that saved the place for us, as I am sorry to say that we found the hotel over-priced for the quality of the rooms, and the charm rather worn, e.g. our beds were chipped. We were on the top, fourth, floor. Perhaps the lower floors offer more quality. Our room was the worst color green I've ever seen; the mirror opposite our beds was one of the ugliest ever; the wi-fi didn't work well as you had to keep signing in repeatedly, so I gave up in the end! The room was rather dull at night with only one lamp, and there was no bedside light for either of us, but in keeping with the consistently very good service, someone brought us a lamp to share very quickly. The other thing I would change if I was the manager, would be the beds, as mine wasn't at all comfortable...and I don't think they were nearly Queen size.

Room Tip: Ocean front!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family