“Superb food, pleasant service, "cozy" ambiance, recommend dining early”
Review of Freda's Cafe

Freda's Cafe
Ranked #11 of 146 Restaurants in Cape May
Cuisines: Deli, International, Cafe
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 23 January 2018

Have heard great things about Freda's, so my wife and I finally tried it. Some people say this is their all-time favorite restaurant in Cape May. Our meals were really excellent! Started with walnut-crusted goat cheese appetizer, delicious, and just the right portion size (we split it, but it wouldn't be too large for one person to enjoy). My wife ordered pasta primavera (entrée) with olive oil & garlic, light on the garlic, which was excellent. There was definitely another herb in there besides the garlic, perhaps the chef added something special? I had the beef wellington, simply because I haven't seen this on a menu for years. It was superb! Perfectly done, topped with mushrooms and perfectly fresh lump crab, in flaky crust with a drizzle of sauce on top. Freda's is BYOB, so our wine was wonderful and reasonably priced! Service was attentive and friendly, but there were only two servers working so they really had to hustle at times -- I think they should add a runner/busperson. We enjoyed a gingerbread parfait for dessert, made in-house and certainly large enough to share. The tables are small and very close together, and it gets a little noisy when full -- seats about 30, you can't avoid overhearing nearby diners' conversations. We dined early (6:00) and it felt fine until about 7:00, when the place filled up and it became a little claustrophobic and harder to converse. We'll definitely return, this is now one of our favorites, but we'll always try to reserve an early dinner time and only in the off-season, much more enjoyable than when it's full. Also -- it's pricey, our tab was over $100 for two (one app, one dessert, BYOB) plus tip, so it's not a place we'd go to really often.

1  Thank Mikaman185

Reviewed 31 December 2017

Stopped in for bowl of soup on a very cold day in Cape May. Very quaint little cafe. I had the cream of asparagus with pieces of chicken. Excellent soup. Good pleasant service and pleasant atmosphere. Well worth stopping in for a quick bite.

Reviewed 24 December 2017

My daughter and I recently enjoyed a lazy afternoon in Cape May and while strolling the mall and streets with the wonderfully decorated homes for Christmas we decided take a lunch break. We came across Freda's Cafe on Ocean St. and decided to give them a try....Great choice : ). This is a cozy restaurant, with an interesting menu. Our server was a very nice young lady that went over the specials for us and my daughter elected to have a beef brisket wrap (the special) and I chose the fish tacos, an excellent choice with fresh flounder that was out of this world good....great! Both meals came with nice sides of mixed rice and small salad. My daughter needed to take some of her meal home but I pushed on a finished my very large servings of tacos!! Freda's was a great choice on a perfect day with my sweetheart of a daughter.

1  Thank surfer02_10
Reviewed 21 December 2017 via mobile

We went on a Friday night with another couple who was traveling from out of the area. Unfortunately the snowy weather delayed their arrival. We were seated early and the staff was most accommodating. By the time we ordered it was an hour before closing time. Our waiter said don’t worry and that they would stay open until we were done. From there we ordered our meals. For apps we ordered the soup of the day and the fried oysters. For the main course we ordered the crab cakes and the filet with a lobster tail on top. Everything was excellent! The finish up we had the bread pudding which was amazing! Definitely a place that you will want to try. It’s a BYOB and they have a great selection on the menu of local fare.

2  Thank Joseph C
Reviewed 13 December 2017

Love the food and atmosphere at Freda's! Our server, Amanda, was great, knew the menu, and was very personable. The food- just amazing!!!

2  Thank deesgrammy