“Hail to the Chef”

Union Park Dining Room
Reserve with OpenTable
Union Park Dining Room is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 153 Restaurants in Cape May
Price range: USD 31 - USD 50
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Howard Street
Transit: n/a
Description: Across from the ocean, this elegant dining room serves classic American food with a special touch. Union Park Dining Room received New Jersey Monthly Magazine's 2005 thru 2016 Critics Choice Award as one of the best restaurants in New Jersey. Working his magic behind the scenes, chef John Schatz has overseen the kitchens of some sophisticated eateries in the Philadelphia/South Jersey area, including the former Maureen's in Cape May. The large, spacious dining rooms with their fireplaces, cherry & mahogany furniture & antique fixtures are romance personified. Settle in for a memorable meal. Private dining rooms available from 8 to 42 guests. Banquet Facilities: Located in the historic Hotel Macomber, union park dining room is available for both casual & elegant parties, receptions, special occasion dinners or complete weddings. Our facility can host groups up to 130 people, depending on the type of reception you desire.
Reviewed 17 September 2017

Union Park is one of our very best favorites at which to dine in the entire country. Four years ago, we celebrated a significant birthday for my wife here; a few days ago, she did the same for me. I love the chef's foie gras with its maple glaze. My crab cakes were wonderful. But the piece de resistance was my wife's decision to order the prix fixe meal: tender baby scallops to start, succulent glazed short ribs as the entree', the profiteroles as a desert that is one of her favorites. And all this, as a fixed price meal, for only a dollar less than my crab cakes entree' alone cost me. The service is attentive and professional, the setting indoors is attractive, the outdoor side-porch at which we chose to be seated gave us the fresh air of the evening. My wife and I have been visiting Cape May off and on over just short of four decades, and that leads to a PERSONAL STORY: When we first met in 1978, we had our first dinner date at a fine restaurant in Philadelphia, Maureen's--run by Maureen and her chef husband, Steve Horn. My wife-to-be introduced me to Cape May and two years later, we were married here by a probation officer (a story for another time) in a luxurious B&B. Shortly after that, the Horns moved to Cape May to open Maureen's here. Unbeknownst to us at the time, we have been the beneficiary for years of Union Park's great chef, John Schatz, who took over behind the scenes at Maureen's in Cape May and later, when the Horns moved to Longboat Key in Florida, followed them to continue his mastery in Maureen's there, before finally returning to Cape May to open Union Park. So our appreciation of his artistry is almost as old as our marriage and has weathered the test of time as well as we think we have. Hail to the Chef. TIP: No, Union Park does not have a liquor license, but you can bring your own BYOB wine with no corkage charge, and frankly, not paying for restaurant booze makes this restaurant's tab much more reasonable that those of other rivals in this resort destination.

1  Thank oaktownboy_37
Write a ReviewReviews (1,107)

Reviewed 16 September 2017 via mobile

We have come to Cape May about 6 weekends a year for the past 7 or 8 years and until today we have never eaten at Union Park. This was truly a mistake on our part. We had an absolute wonderful meal tonight. We had reservations at 6 so we were able to order off the regular menu or the three course meal special menu. I ate off the three course meal and had a crab cake as a start, chicken for the main meal, and then chocolate semifreddo duet for desert. My wife ordered off the made menu and had the duck. She was a little leery of how it would be cooked but our waiter Ron did an outstanding job of ensuring it was just the way she liked it. Thanks Ron!! It was a great meal with great server Ron, in a beautiful restaurant. We will be back.

1  Thank Grunt1962
Reviewed 16 September 2017

This is a wonderful dining experience, friendly staff, outdoor seating if you want. The whole experience was excellent. It has been a new must go to for us.

1  Thank PennsylvaniaDoglover
Reviewed 14 September 2017

We went with friends for restaurant week and were delighted. The atmosphere, the service, the food presentation and the food qslity at its very best. A refacing enchanted evening

1  Thank Shirley S
Reviewed 13 September 2017

Service is always excellent. We've been coming for years and truly love the food and the ambience! Ahi tuna and the oysters are always a great choice.

Review collected in partnership with this restaurant
1  Thank kramerconsulting