Upon arrival, we were offered a rate of $123, 50% off the rack rate; however, we were asked to initial an acceptance card which showed the full rate of $246. While in and of itself this was not a big deal, we did find it annoying since we had nothing in writing to indicate the lower rate. There was no mention of the breakfast buffet and we were not sure if was included or available.
When we got to our room we noticed a very musty smell. Hanging behind the TV was a bag containing the same type of flakes I use in my basement to eliminate excess moisture. The television was perhaps the oldest I had seen in a hotel in the past five years. When we went to bed, we found the sheets had some small holes, another indication of a lack of upkeep.
The evening was cool, so we decided to turn the heat on. Within a few minutes, the room filled with a burning odor and the smoke alarm went off. We opened the balcony door and put on the fan which eliminated some of the odor. We slept with the balcony door ajar all night.
In the morning, we relayed our experience to the front desk clerk. She attributed the smoke to a need for the AC unit to be cleaned. We also asked why no one had responded to the alarm and were told the room alarms are not wired to each other which I found to be a somewhat alarming safety hazard.
It has been a number of years since we had last stayed at the Marquis de Lafayette Hotel and it appears over these years the facility maintenance has been lacking. We once considered this one of the nicer places to say in Cape May, but obviously no longer have this opinion.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Marquis de Lafayette is a premier hotel centrally located in America's original sea side resort. Our property is directly across the street from Cape May's amazing beach and within walking distance to Cape May's famous Washington Street Mall. Breakfast is served every morning in our restaurant 501 Beach, lunch & cocktails served daily at our poolside Barefoot Bar (in season), 1 Parking permit is provided for each room reserved. We are the pet friendliest hotel in Cape May with 17 Pet Friendly rooms! Reservations including pets may only be reserved directly through the hotel (NOT ONLINE) ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Evoline ltd, Booking.com, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Marquis De Lafayette Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Marquis De Lafayette Cape May
- Hotel Marquis De Lafayette