“Pleasant Stay at the Beach”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Grenville

The Grenville
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bay Head
new york
“Pleasant Stay at the Beach”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2012

I had stayed at The Grenville years ago (with my parents) so had somewhat of an idea what to expect. The hotel is a large, old Victorian house and looked pretty much the same as when I stayed there 20 years ago expect a little more run down. Yet, once you get passed the tired aura of the place, the charm does start to set in. The rooms are old and could use some updating (such as a new bedspread in room 306), but they are quite comfortable. Everything we needed was there from small fridge, soaps and shampoos in the bathroom, nice large TV, complimentary continental coffee/tea etc..in the mornings and beach towels, chairs and umbrellas for our use. The hotel restaurant (which is one of the main draws of the place) was also quite good and offered excellent wines. Dining on the porch or in the elegant dining room was probably the most enjoyable part of the experience. It would have been nice if there were an area on the porch for lounging or relaxing or having a glass of wine. But, this is just a wish list item. The owners were very friendly and accommodating and made us feel right at home. I would certainly recommend staying at The Grenville if you are visiting Bay Head and want a charming hotel with a restaurant (and willing to accept its quirks) right near the beach.

Room Tip: If you can, book a specialty room with some of the Hotel's best architectural features.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
grenville3100, Manager at The Grenville, responded to this review, 4 June 2012
thank you for coming, we hope to see you and your family in the near future. We appreciate your time in writing this review. Thanks and stay well.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
montreal
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2012

This is the first review that we have ever written and hopefully our last. We have stayed at many hotels around the world and are far from having a biased opinion. Normally we don’t have many complains since we are aware that no place is perfect and improvements can always be made. If you have stayed at the Grenville you would know that it is far from amazing like some of the other reviews that were written. We came for the Bamboozle festival in Asbury Park and we were 3 adults and 1 child staying in room 306, which consisted of a king sized bed and a pull out couch. We were aware that it was an old hotel and we could easily pick on décor but that was NOT the problem. There should be NO excuses for cleanliness since it is a rather small and manageable hotel. When we got to our room and opened the pull out couch, a dirty sock and dirty bed sheets were found in the “bed.” This “bed” consisted of an UNACCEPTABLE very thin mattress but thankfully my father convinced Harry to fix this problem right away. There was also nail on the floor and a chunk of long hair on the headboard, which should have been removed since, was clearly visible. It’s evident that daily cleaning is not a priority. It was not all negative though, the staff was very apologetic and friendly and the Grenville is located in a nice area right on the beach, which was very nice I might add. And all that for $800 Canadian for 3 nights.. GREAT DEAL! We were clearly Bamboozled!

Room Tip: anywhere but here!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank amanda r
grenville3100, General Manager at The Grenville, responded to this review, 4 June 2012
sorry you had an unfavorable experience. we have replaced large pull out sofa with thick padded futon, accomodates two. The rate for your stay was $239 x 3 nights. for 4 guests/king size bed and sofa sleeping 2. Continental breakfast included and dinner voucher $20. savings. Bamboozled?? Spring rate posted on our site, most guests agree it is very reasonable for area and accomodations. Your mother mentioned how Asbury was frightful and dangerous. Again we are sorry you found one sock on the floor of the pullout. It was caught in the folding mechanisim. The sheets were clean. Harry quickly brought a full size mattress that he placed on top of the pull out. He felt this would be comparable to a bed for you and your sister. Al done in good spirit to make you more comfortable. He chatted at length with your Dad about their childhood days both having grown up in Montreal. Unfortunately your Mother could not excuse the sock, and we could not magically have made it dissapear. Any form of his gracious hospitality just did not merit forgiveness for this housekeeping error. Our staff tries to catch all details but human error does occur on occassion. We could not deny this. We hope you enjoyed the concert, and our American hospitality.

Travellers are raving about these Bay Head hotels

san diego, ca
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2012

Shabby chic? NO, just SHABBY. no amenities, no charm, no service ... just way over priced and run down and smelled old and mildewed. linens all old and worn and did not feel clean. NOTHING CHARMING JUST RUNDOWN

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank pacifictina
We hope our new photos help others see the many changes we have made. Yes our hotel is older and not a chain hotel description. Daily we attempt to repair our 123 year old Victorian that gets a beating from the winter ocean air. We have new linens, new futons replacing the old pull out sofas, lobby furniture changes and many more amenities throughout the hotel have been added. Hope to see you in the future.
Brick Township, New Jersey, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2012

Purchased through Groupon deal for off season. Groupon deal included 3 course dinner and overnight stay for two. Thought it would be nice for a romantic getaway. My husband and I arrived on a Saturday evening around 6:30pm. We live only about 25 minutes from hotel. Friendly greeting when we arrived. Went to our room to drop off suitcase and did find the room a little on the warm side. No thermostats in room to control air. It had been a nice warmer afternoon and now some rain for the evening. We were able to open window before leaving to go downstairs for our dinner. Food was excellent and bottle of red wine recommended was very nice. Waiter service was very friendly and efficient. After dinner went for a walk to beach and a little around neighborhood. It was very nice and we felt comfortable and safe. Back at room and it seemed to cool down a little. My husband isn't used to not being able to adjust temperature to his liking. Bed was comfy and we slept well. It was a nice stay for the short time we were there. Did not have Sunday bunch but were greeted a nice morning and farewell by Renee.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
grenville3100, Front Office Manager at The Grenville, responded to this review, 10 May 2012
We appreciate your review. We look forward to seeing you in the near future.
washington, dc
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2012

Unfortunately this is not a place to stay. The building and rooms are in major disrepair.
Upon arrival there was nobody at the front desk. We walked in and had to call from our cell phones to wait for someone to arrive at the desk. Okay it was a Wednesday afternoon – off season. We were given one key to our room and directed to the elevator. Paper signage hangs in the elevator to alert you about a Mother’s Day Brunch special at $32.95! Put it in a frame or something…it’s going to cost me 32.95, could you dress it up…
The lock on the door was loose, which might explain more later. The rooms are small, furniture very old and mismatched. Really look at the photos on the website, close up. I had to ask for an iron and a “mini ironing board”. That you get to use on the dirty desk that’s in the room, that will not be wiped off the entire time you are there. Yes, I’m one of those women who iron my clothes even on vacation. The room smelled old, like your Grandmother’s house. Neither the window in the bathroom nor the window in the room had screens. The window in the room almost took off my arm because it would not stay open, I propped it open with the ice bucket. The window locks were nonexistent, okay I’m on the 4th floor but if you had a kid or….. (Our stay was in April during 70/80 degree weather) In the bathroom the toilet ran most of the night, the wall plug’s plate had no screws so when you plugged in the hair dryer it came off (not a good safety feature) The sign in bathroom wants you to make sure to turn on the fan because otherwise the smoke alarm will go off. The bed post knob was dangling off. In our room we could see the ocean from out portal windows, if you are 6 foot 4. The sunrises in these windows and there are no shades on them. So, if you are light sensitive in the AM –you are not sleeping in. I didn’t in the 4 days I was there. We were up and out before 9AM each day. On Thursday we left the room at 8:30AM to meet friends for breakfast. We were gone until 9:30pm. When we returned we found that our room had not been cleaned nor had the towels been changed. I went downstairs, having to find the person, to ask why….seems the maid couldn’t get into our room and assumed that we were in the room. (Knocking helps?? Fixing the lock would also help). The person offered to clean the room, but after a long day out, I preferred to give him the dirty towels and hope for better tomorrow. When giving me the towels from the room across the hall, because he could not find the key to the laundry room, he said, he too was upset and didn’t understand because there were only TWO guests staying at the hotel that night. I’m still trying to figure out why he didn’t offer for us to stay in the clean room which was across the hall, but that would be customer service, which we found little of. He did thank me for not yelling at him, which was probably a first for me, too. Friday was better but still not up to this Jersey/Washington, DC ladies standard. On Saturday evening when leaving for dinner we had to park 3 blocks down. Couldn’t there be some kind of assigned parking? Seems the dining room finally had something going on (it was empty/empty since our arrival) – a baby or bridal shower. Outside, this is when the gardener was mowing the lawn. If it were my party, I would have gotten very upset. I’m sure the party was “planned’ why mow the lawn during the party??
Saturday evening upon my arrival (about 10:30pm) I was called a “party animal”. My reply, oh yes,
That’s me, 54 and out till 10:30! My spouse said hello to him and he said “thank you”. When we left on Sunday the girl behind the counter asked how our stay was…….REALLY?
Please until this place is spruced up, you might want to rethink your plan – it could be a wonderful place and I’m sure it was many years ago.

Room Tip: please contact me for pictures to back up everything I have had to say.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
grenville3100, Manager at The Grenville, responded to this review, 20 April 2012
We are truely sorry for your inconveniences. It seems we could not make you happy no matter how hard we tried. We tried on numerous attempts to please you. Sign for Mother's day Brunch $34.99 is displayed on clear frame.
I can only wonder if the hotel was empty how would parking be an issue? In New Jersey parking on a State Highway can not be assigned. Yes even though it was off season both the restaurant and hotel were occupied. Occasionally parking directly in front is not available. This is a small safe town with very short blocks and ample parking on each street and side street without meters do feed.
Again I won't bore readers with answers for each complaint. I have only ONE sincere answer to you. We are truely sorry and have addressed the window matter with maintenance. Thank YOu for staying with us and hopefully you will give us another chance to show you that we care and wish to provide each customer a comfortable, safe and clean stay. Wishing you health, and a wonderful Mother's Day.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bay Head
Sand Pebble Motor Lodge
#4 of 16 in Point Pleasant Beach
1.7 km away
White Sands Oceanfront Resort & Spa
White Sands Oceanfront Resort & ...
#7 of 16 in Point Pleasant Beach
1.0 km away
The Bentley Inn
The Bentley Inn
#1 of 3 in Bay Head

Been to The Grenville? Share your experiences!