“Loved it all...except the front desk.”

Steele Hill Resorts
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sanbornton
Boston, Massachusetts
“Loved it all...except the front desk.”
Reviewed 21 May 2012

For a night away, that wasn't too far from home, the Steele Hill Resorts was wonderful. We missed the note on the directions page warning you not to use a GPS to find the hotel, which means the afternoon turned into quite the adventure in the NH wilderness, so definitely print that page out before heading there!
When we finally got on the right route, and were just a few moments from the hotel we realized we were almost out of gas and pulled into (what I think) is the conference area for the resort. We had the nicest encounter with a member of the maintenance staff from the resort. He gave us directions, and was just overall aabsolutely lovely, so complete kudos to him, I only wish we had caught his name.
We found gas and headed back to the hotel.
They allowed us to check in a little early which was a definite bonus, I just wish the front desk staff was a little more engaging. I work on the front desk at a major hotel, and the agent who checked us in was a little dismissive and detached. There was no use of my name or asking if I wanted to add my guests name to the room. I asked for a few recommendations and she seemed kind of annoyed. I definitely can relate to the pitfalls of that job, but it's also your job to smile and at least pretend to be interested. The experience with her was made worse when I checked out with the same agent the next morning and there was not even a flicker of recognition. It had been less than 24 hours. I'm aware I'm overly critical but it's what I do every day, and I would be mortified to give customer service like that.
The rooms were great though. My boyfriend has been in housekeeping for years, and although there was a little dust, the rooms cleanliness didn't disappoint. The jacuzzi tub was great (although a shame there's no way to turn the TV to face it, especially since they rent DVD's at the FD). The grounds were just gorgeous and the views amazing. Overall a happy stay, I just wish the FD had a little more emphasis in customer service.

• Stayed May 2012
3 Thank MikkahForTheWin
Dcutillo, General Manager at Steele Hill Resorts, responded to this review, 23 May 2012
It sounds like you had a very positive experience with us overall. Fortunately the weather cooperated to display our amazing views of the area. Those views honestly never get old to me. It is nice to hear the room was up to your cleanliness standards, especially considering your boyfriends experience in the industry.

The directions issue is something we’ve been combatting for several years. This includes passing town ordinances to put up new signage and attempting to remove the class 6 roads that some GPS companies include on their mapping. In a month or so, construction crews should finish completely rebuilding and repaving the main road to the resort, so any guests that find themselves on a dirt road should give us a call. Your recommendation to defer to our direction page is helpful.

I appreciate the feedback on your experience at the front desk. We made the transition to central reservations for both Steele Hill and our sister resort, the Summit, three weeks prior to your visit. We are hoping this will allow our veteran reservation staff to better service calls. As a result, we have hired and reorganized a completely new, dedicated front desk department. It is likely that you visited with us in the midst of this transition. I spoke with our new front desk manager about this incident and I can assure you that the department is dedicated to providing a top-notch customer service experience for all guests. I am confident that if you visit with us again, the experience will be significantly improved.

Thank you for choosing Steele Hill Resorts to spend you valuable vacation time. We appreciate your business. I hope to see you up on the Hill sometime soon.

Rob Robillard, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
Kingston, Canada
Reviewed 10 May 2012

We picked this resort b/c we were going in the off-season and wanted to make sure that there was something to do inside. We booked time each day on the racquetball court and enjoyed playing. We also walked the yellow trail and enjoyed hanging out in our unit.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Dcutillo, General Manager at Steele Hill Resorts, responded to this review, 15 May 2012
I am glad to hear you enjoyed the racquetball courts. Our large indoor amenities center is truly a unique offering in the Lakes Region. Even if the weather isn’t perfect there is always something to do at the Hill.

I am glad you had a relaxing time in your accommodations. The majority of our rooms offer full kitchens, flat screen TVs and great views. The goal is to make things feel like a home away from home so you can enjoy your vacation.

Our trail network is a personal favorite of mine. We offer 5 miles of on property trails that traverse through fields and loop through the 550 acres of woods surrounding the property. If you are looking for some true New Hampshire wildlife, the trails at Steele Hill are a great place to start. We are actually looking to increase the usage of our trail system in the future with more interactive trail heads that include maps. We may even post wildlife facts along each trail.

Thanks for choosing Steele Hill to spend your vacation time. We appreciate your business and hope to see you up on the hill again soon.

SW Massachusetts
Reviewed 6 May 2012

We were invited to the resort through a timeshare offer, and stayed 1 nite in a 1 bedroom unit in the East building. The room was VERY VERY VERY clean (probably the cleanest room I have ever stayed in), there was good space for my children ages 1.5 and 5 years old, and the view was AMAZING! The furnishings were a little dated however; the electric outlets were so old that our plugs had a hard time staying in the walls (we had to tape in our cell phone charger), and there was a lack of outlets as well. The carpet was quite old (again, it was insanely clean though!), and the pullout couch was also a little old as well. I also found myself wishing for more light in the rooms as it was a little on the dark side--probably wonderful for a romantic getaway but not very practical when traveling with little ones. The bathroom was wonderful, as well as the kitchen. Everything you need for cooking and serving was there! I can see where they did the updates and they are greatly appreciated--however it points out the areas that need to be updated even moreso. I can see how they want the rustic feel for that building, which is fine by me because I do like rustic. I'm an older home kinda gal, but it does need to have a little face lift and some freshening up of everything else for consistency. I will say that the East building had some historic charm to it, something I felt lacking in the South building (didn't get to see the rooms in the West). We did get to see a 2 bedroom on the East side and it was very nice! That one was very large. I didn't like the fact that that side used "real" keys--I feel a little more secure with an electronic system.

2 things that really disappointed me; the deck, while gorgeous with its wood paneling and fresh new chairs--the railing of the deck did not feel very safe and looks like it needs to be renovated (room 315). Of course I have a small fear of heights so I am EXTRA observative when it comes to decks/balconys. It looks like it had been rebolted a few times over, but never replaced. It did make me very concerned with my children right there with me; I wouldn't let them touch the railing even with me standing right there. Also, although it was April vacation, it was very warm and there were wasps (bees?) everywhere. They seemed to be of a very slow, docile species, but a little nerve racking to see them everywhere. We were reassured that they were going to be taken care of by this summer though. Those 2 things are why I took away a star from the rating.

I did get to see a hotel suite in the south building, WOW it was nice! Definitely a different atmosphere from building to building. We had friends that booked last minute and were able to get a room. That was also VERY insanely clean, the whirlpool tub was very clean, and the furnishings were all brand new. I was a little disappointed they were able to see one of the West wing rooms with the fireplace (via a tour by one of the workers there), but we were unable to the next day because we were told the rooms were all booked. I hope that we get to stay at 1 of those rooms at some point so we can get a feel for the other units. I think it's really nice to be able to get different moods and themes in each of the buildings, all on 1 property. Not sure if that's what they intended, but it worked out that way and I think it's a neat feature.

The pool area was absolutely FANTASTIC! My children had a great time--1 of my children had an insane fear of pools and by the time we left, was crying because he didn't want to leave! The kiddie pool area was the perfect depth and size. The water was the perfect temperature. The changing area was fine, although I wish in the ladies room there was more than 1 large stall to change the kids. I did notice a couple of cracked glass panels at the top of the atrium, and was reassured that they were going to be replaced. The room WAS very warm and tropical, which I loved, but if you have someone coming with you who will not be joining you in the pool, warn them ahead of time so they dress appropriately! But that area is definitely a huge reason to go over and over again. It wasn't so big that it was overwhelming and packed with people, but it wasn't so small that you got bored. And it was one of the RARE times that the place 100% matched the picture! You don't get to see that too often anymore.

The woman working at the bar was very friendly, always saying hi to people was they walked by and the patrons looked like they were really enjoying themselves. That's 1 thing I noticed, the staff were always smiling, saying hi, and generally looked like they enjoy what they do. Probably the most friendly staff I have seen in the New England area! Heck, the most friendly people I have come across in New England! They helped to make you feel very warm and invited. The staff are truly 5 stars!

My family enjoyed walking around the grounds and we saw many things that we would like to check out. There are lots of activities to do around the area if you enjoy being outside. I can't wait to try fishing and hiking! My husband will definitely bring his golf clubs next time. There was a game room and other indoor activities as well, but other than the indoor waterpark area, this is really a place to enjoy the outdoors. I did get to see the other indoor pool, definitely less busy, but didn't have a kiddie pool.

I liked the seclusion of the place. However, that seclusion also means you better bring your own food (or eat in the restaurant) because my husband left when it was dark to get KFC, and he said the back roads were a little intimidating in the dark (not the fault of the resort though!)! Next time we will be grocery shopping ahead of time!

The timeshare presentation experience was by far one of the best I have ever been to. VERY non-pushy, honest, and very to-the-point. Overall we were pleased and we did end up purchasing a very small package because we were considering something locally for awhile. The price was very reasonable and the points system sounds fantastic! Plus my children really enjoyed everything they got to do (which wasn't even everything this place offers!). This place is really very family driven/oriented.

We did have lunch in the restaurant, could also use a little updating (windows, paint). The lady who served us was very kind and knew the menu very well. The fries are addicting, the buffalo wings were yummy, and my kids really enjoyed the chicken tenders! The portion sizes were good, the lunch prices were reasonable. The dinner entrees were definitely higher priced.

In conclusion, I'm hoping to have the chance to experience the other rooms they have on-site, as well as checking out the other amenities. Minus the 2 disappointing pieces I mentioned earlier, we had a lovely visit and were impressed enough to invest. We are looking forward to spending more time there in the next month.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank RudeeRu
Dcutillo, General Manager at Steele Hill Resorts, responded to this review, 11 May 2012
First off, thank you for your valuable feedback. I am extremely happy to hear you had such a positive connection with the property. We have been making major strides over the last few years to raise our standards and solidify Steele Hill as a relaxing oasis in the Lakes Region. I am glad to hear you found everything clean and comfortable. I will personally pass this on to our housekeeping manager. I am also glad your interactions with our staff were so pleasant. We have been working on instilling a team culture of upbeat, dedicated individuals and it seems to be paying off.

I can understand your concern with the deck. We inspected the railing of that particular unit recently. While I can assured you it was structurally sound, I agree that it needed to be addressed. I will have our maintenance staff fix the issue this week. In terms of the bees I can see your concern. The resort is a large complex so there are quite a few places for them to hide. Fortunately, we have a seasonal meeting with exterminators to help mitigate these issues. I will be sure to address this when I meet with them in a few days.

Thank you for choosing Steele Hill to spend your vacation time. We understand how valuable and rare family time can be these days. I hope you have an equally enjoyable experience with us during your next visit.

Maine
Reviewed 1 May 2012

We stayed at Steele Hill East in June 2011.

Pros:

The pool was a lot of fun, especially for families and children. There are two outdoor pools and two indoor pools. The main indoor pool (located in the atrium) included a Roman Spa, smaller hot tub, slide, and children's wading pool. This was where we spent most of our time at the resort, and it was beautiful.
The grounds were beautiful. There was a pond, multiple pools, places to walk, and two small playgrounds for children. The mountain scenery is breathtaking.
Our suite was relatively clean, minus some bathroom and hot tub issues (see the cons below).
The staff was always very friendly and helpful.

Cons:

The two-bedroom, three bathroom East suite that we stayed in was slightly tired looking. The furniture was comfortable, but it needs to be updated. There was a horrible musty smell throughout the entire suite, and we bought two candles at the Yankee Candle Outlet - unfortunately, this did little to help.
The bathroom standing showers all had black mold growing in the cracks and around the shower doors. It was disgusting! The rest of the bathrooms were pretty clean, but the mold was unsatisfactory.
The master bedroom had a nice whirlpool tub, but it was completely unusable. When we turned it on, black chunks came out with the water - it appeared as though it was rarely used and not cleaned well in between. We turned it on two times, and the same thing occurred each time. When the water drained, the tub was filled with black slime. It was completely revolting.
The outside pool by our suite had gorgeous scenery of the mountain. We attempted to sit out there with books on multiple occasions, but the resort seemed to have a bee problem. The pool area was infested with them, and there were atleast 5 circling each table area. My husband is allergic to hornets and wasps, so we were unable to relax by the pool, which was a huge nuisance.

Sanbornton, NH and the surrounding area is fairly quiet, and there is not a lot to do. It is a great place to go to relax. There are some outlet stores and limited restaurants, but for more entertainiment, you will need to drive to Concord or Manchester.

We enjoyed the large indoor pool, but that was about it. We do not plan on ever returning to the resort, as we were less than impressed.

Room Tip: The suites and hotel rooms in the main building with the atrium seemed to be a lot newer and nicer...
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Lindsay22
Dcutillo, General Manager at Steele Hill Resorts, responded to this review, 2 May 2012
I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy your time with us. Fortunately, all 2 bedroom east units have been completely renovated since you stayed with us in June 2011. We actually posted a full video of the updates on our blog. This includes new furniture, granite countertops, new lighting, improved ventilation and refinishing of the tubs. We have also completely overhauled the personnel managing our housekeeping operation to help catch and resolve issues like you mentioned.

I have to differ in opinion with you on the Lakes Region. The area truly has a lot to offer. From the great discounts at the outlet mall to the thrill of using the new zip line facilities at Gunstock to a good old fashioned hike, if you are look for serious New Hampshire fun, I believe this is the best part of the state. That being said, I can understand that if you were looking for more of a city experience then it is hard to find around here.

I appreciate your feedback. We aggregate customer experiences over the years and use this to drive our aggressive renovations program. In this case I feel more assured that the 2 bedroom east updates were a big success. Thank you for spending your time with us. I understand that vacation time is hard to come by for most people. We will use your feedback to continue to improve the facilities for other guests in the future.

Hudson, New Hampshire
Reviewed 1 May 2012

We just returned from our two night stay. Had some major issues before arrival, we were staying two nights booked second night at the last minute. They wanted us to move rooms, I have a one yr old and six yr old. Spent hours on the phone trying to straighten it out. Finally just decided to talk to someone else when we got there t check in as girl on the phone had only been there a month. Upon check in we were told the same thing about changing rooms until finally someone helped out and we were able to stay in same room for both nights. Check in is not until 4 so be warned, that is very late and check out is 10am which doesn't give much time for one night. And yes you can use facility all day but that is not good with little ones and nowhere to nap, change, etc.

Room was ok, plenty of space but rustic. It's definitely not a hotel. The office is at the bottom of hill, not within walking distance. You are basically on your own as if you rented a condo or something. No room service, etc. Our room was in west bldg attached to pool, but a long long walk and lots of stairs to get there. Our room was the one bedroom with two beds. It's a strange set up, you unlock a door off hallway and now your looking at two more doors, ours was to the right another persons straight ahead. Ours was underneath, the downstairs of what I guess was a townhouse converted into two units, very strange.

Pool was very nice, I can say that. My six year old loved it but it's four feet deep just over her head. We had to run to Walmart to get her swimmies. The entire pool is four feet besides the kiddie section which was two feet.

West building

Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Wwegan
Dcutillo, General Manager at Steele Hill Resorts, responded to this review, 1 May 2012
I am glad to hear your children enjoyed the amenities during your stay with us. April school vacation was a very busy period. The resort was running at over 95% occupancy for most of the week. I believe this is one of the reasons why the reservationist had an issue confirming your second night. It is likely there may have been a conflict with another reservation at the time you called. I am glad to hear the staff was able to shuffle some rooms around at the time of check-in to give you access to the same room for the second night. I will follow up with them to confirm this was the case and see if we can give new reservationist more tools to take care of this issue at the point of reservation during high occupancy weeks.

As you mentioned, we do offer kiddie pools at our large indoor facility and at our main outdoor facility. I am sorry to hear you had to drive to Walmart to allow you children to fully enjoy the pool area. We are actually considering opening an onsite store in the future to provide guest with any food and recreation necessities during their stay. I will make sure we consider stocking swimmies when that time comes.

Thank you for choosing to spend your vacation at Steele Hill. I do hope you give us another chance and choose to stay with us again in the future.

Rob Robillard, General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sanbornton
10.4 km away
The Landmark Inn
#13 of 13 in Laconia
8.0 km away
Econolodge Inn & Suites

Been to Steele Hill Resorts? Share your experiences!