“Great Pool; Mediocre Experience” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Steele Hill Resorts

Steele Hill Resorts
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sanbornton
Maine
“Great Pool; Mediocre Experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2012

We stayed at Steele Hill East in June 2011.

Pros:

The pool was a lot of fun, especially for families and children. There are two outdoor pools and two indoor pools. The main indoor pool (located in the atrium) included a Roman Spa, smaller hot tub, slide, and children's wading pool. This was where we spent most of our time at the resort, and it was beautiful.
The grounds were beautiful. There was a pond, multiple pools, places to walk, and two small playgrounds for children. The mountain scenery is breathtaking.
Our suite was relatively clean, minus some bathroom and hot tub issues (see the cons below).
The staff was always very friendly and helpful.

Cons:

The two-bedroom, three bathroom East suite that we stayed in was slightly tired looking. The furniture was comfortable, but it needs to be updated. There was a horrible musty smell throughout the entire suite, and we bought two candles at the Yankee Candle Outlet - unfortunately, this did little to help.
The bathroom standing showers all had black mold growing in the cracks and around the shower doors. It was disgusting! The rest of the bathrooms were pretty clean, but the mold was unsatisfactory.
The master bedroom had a nice whirlpool tub, but it was completely unusable. When we turned it on, black chunks came out with the water - it appeared as though it was rarely used and not cleaned well in between. We turned it on two times, and the same thing occurred each time. When the water drained, the tub was filled with black slime. It was completely revolting.
The outside pool by our suite had gorgeous scenery of the mountain. We attempted to sit out there with books on multiple occasions, but the resort seemed to have a bee problem. The pool area was infested with them, and there were atleast 5 circling each table area. My husband is allergic to hornets and wasps, so we were unable to relax by the pool, which was a huge nuisance.

Sanbornton, NH and the surrounding area is fairly quiet, and there is not a lot to do. It is a great place to go to relax. There are some outlet stores and limited restaurants, but for more entertainiment, you will need to drive to Concord or Manchester.

We enjoyed the large indoor pool, but that was about it. We do not plan on ever returning to the resort, as we were less than impressed.

Room Tip: The suites and hotel rooms in the main building with the atrium seemed to be a lot newer and nicer...
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Lindsay22
Dcutillo, General Manager at Steele Hill Resorts, responded to this review, 2 May 2012
I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy your time with us. Fortunately, all 2 bedroom east units have been completely renovated since you stayed with us in June 2011. We actually posted a full video of the updates on our blog. This includes new furniture, granite countertops, new lighting, improved ventilation and refinishing of the tubs. We have also completely overhauled the personnel managing our housekeeping operation to help catch and resolve issues like you mentioned.

I have to differ in opinion with you on the Lakes Region. The area truly has a lot to offer. From the great discounts at the outlet mall to the thrill of using the new zip line facilities at Gunstock to a good old fashioned hike, if you are look for serious New Hampshire fun, I believe this is the best part of the state. That being said, I can understand that if you were looking for more of a city experience then it is hard to find around here.

I appreciate your feedback. We aggregate customer experiences over the years and use this to drive our aggressive renovations program. In this case I feel more assured that the 2 bedroom east updates were a big success. Thank you for spending your time with us. I understand that vacation time is hard to come by for most people. We will use your feedback to continue to improve the facilities for other guests in the future.

Rob Robillard, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Hudson, New Hampshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2012

We just returned from our two night stay. Had some major issues before arrival, we were staying two nights booked second night at the last minute. They wanted us to move rooms, I have a one yr old and six yr old. Spent hours on the phone trying to straighten it out. Finally just decided to talk to someone else when we got there t check in as girl on the phone had only been there a month. Upon check in we were told the same thing about changing rooms until finally someone helped out and we were able to stay in same room for both nights. Check in is not until 4 so be warned, that is very late and check out is 10am which doesn't give much time for one night. And yes you can use facility all day but that is not good with little ones and nowhere to nap, change, etc.

Room was ok, plenty of space but rustic. It's definitely not a hotel. The office is at the bottom of hill, not within walking distance. You are basically on your own as if you rented a condo or something. No room service, etc. Our room was in west bldg attached to pool, but a long long walk and lots of stairs to get there. Our room was the one bedroom with two beds. It's a strange set up, you unlock a door off hallway and now your looking at two more doors, ours was to the right another persons straight ahead. Ours was underneath, the downstairs of what I guess was a townhouse converted into two units, very strange.

Pool was very nice, I can say that. My six year old loved it but it's four feet deep just over her head. We had to run to Walmart to get her swimmies. The entire pool is four feet besides the kiddie section which was two feet.

West building

Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Wwegan
Dcutillo, General Manager at Steele Hill Resorts, responded to this review, 1 May 2012
I am glad to hear your children enjoyed the amenities during your stay with us. April school vacation was a very busy period. The resort was running at over 95% occupancy for most of the week. I believe this is one of the reasons why the reservationist had an issue confirming your second night. It is likely there may have been a conflict with another reservation at the time you called. I am glad to hear the staff was able to shuffle some rooms around at the time of check-in to give you access to the same room for the second night. I will follow up with them to confirm this was the case and see if we can give new reservationist more tools to take care of this issue at the point of reservation during high occupancy weeks.

As you mentioned, we do offer kiddie pools at our large indoor facility and at our main outdoor facility. I am sorry to hear you had to drive to Walmart to allow you children to fully enjoy the pool area. We are actually considering opening an onsite store in the future to provide guest with any food and recreation necessities during their stay. I will make sure we consider stocking swimmies when that time comes.

Thank you for choosing to spend your vacation at Steele Hill. I do hope you give us another chance and choose to stay with us again in the future.

Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2012

I booked this trip for a valentine's day surprise via a Groupon. I also called to confirm which of the three buildings we would be in as I had heard that each has its own character. Unfortunately, we were placed in a different building (not connected with the new swimming pool) and parking was a bit hard to come by (in their defense, some people parked taking up 2 to 3 spots and there was a lot of snow).
As others have mentioned, the roads are a bit rough, but are not problematic provided you go slow and are paying attention.
Their bill was impossible to understand, costs were not itemized and even the staff said that they are hard to follow. After having it explained to me twice, I gave up and accepted it.
Great breakfast, but a little pricy.
The room was huge and came with a fridge and freezer which was very nice. The bathroom, while roomy and with enough hot water, had a floor that squeaked no matter where we stood.
Our room had two large beds, but one had a massive stain on it and we did not use it. The bed bug covers on both beds were torn.

Room Tip: The West building is bad if stairs are an issue for you, but has a great view. The new building has...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kevin b
Dcutillo, General Manager at Steele Hill Resorts, responded to this review, 28 April 2012
I am sorry to hear you had some issues during your stay. Sometimes during snowstorms parking can become a temporary nuisance. Fortunately we have 2 plow trucks on the property to help keep things clear. I am sure the misunderstanding with your bill was the result of an unclear explanation at the time of check out. We had several, all hands on deck meetings to explain the details of the Groupon offer to our employees, so the staff should not have had an issue explaining things. I will follow up with the desk personnel to see if this was a problem during the promotion.

I would love the chance to change your perception about our resort. Please do not hesitate to call me or email me. If we do get a chance to speak I can have our staff provide a clearer explanation of any items that cause confusion on the bill. You can reach me at robertrobillard@steelehillresorts.com or by phone at 603.524.2216. Hopefully, once we set things straight you might consider coming to enjoy a stay with us in the future.

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

I booked this resort after an Internet search for a getaway weekend in NH for our 25th anniversary and was very pleased and nicely surprised that the room chosen was exactly like the picture on the website. It's always a welcome surprise to find a new gateway destination that lives up to your own expectations. We've already told our neighbors with kids and relatives and do plan to return in the Summer.

The one suggestion I would make to this and all Hotels is to supply a code of conduct overview to each quests checking in as well as post intermittent " No Running" signs in the hallways. The code of conduct overview should remind guest to respect the other guest within the hotel by not running in the hallways and within their rooms and to keep the noise level down. Hotel walls are notoriously thin and it's always been a frustration to hear kids running overhead or down hallways, By providing a code of conduct reminder perhaps parents who normally would not allow this behavior in their own home will also keep it in check while at the hotel.

Room Tip: If traveling with kids the newer West Building has an amazing pool that you and they will enjoy. We...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Bill B
Dcutillo, General Manager at Steele Hill Resorts, responded to this review, 18 April 2012
Hopefully the views from your deck offered a nice backdrop to your 25th anniversary. I am glad to hear that you had a great time with us and would recommend Steele Hill to friends and family. We strive to provide a relaxing safe haven for people visiting the Lakes Region.

In terms of the rules of conduct, that is a good suggestion. Over the years we have tried many different methods of notifying guests about our policies. Signage is obviously a good start and our security team does address matters during their rounds of the property. We are currently working on a resort information channel that might be the perfect medium for things of this nature. I will keep your recommendations in mind.

Thanks again for choosing Steele Hill, we hope to see you again soon.

Manahawkin, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

Our stay was very relaxing, with beautiful views of two lakes surrounded by NH mountains. We took a lot of day trips, as April is the off season for surrounding area things to do (ice out - winter activities over, no warm month activities yet). It's all good, as I imagine Winter and Summer would be a lot more crowded. Seems like clientele was mostly families with young kids. Would recommend for families, not sure about romantic getaway, as it might be a little on the noisey side. We stayed in the East building, no problems except the walls are a little on the thin side...you can hear All your neighbors. All in all, would recommend.

Room Tip: West and East buildings both have indoor and outdoor pools. West pool is the one pictured in the bro...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
I am glad you had a chance to enjoy the scenery during your stay. The Lakes Region is a bit more quite during those months, but is can be a great time to get familiar with the area without the larger crowds. I am also happy to hear that you had no issues with your Steele Hill East accommodations. We have made significant renovations to those units over the recent years and many people have a misconception that they are of a lower standard.

I understand you had a minor issue with noise. We are making efforts to reinforce placement policies at reservations to help mitigate this issue. The resort is also looking into sound-proofing measures with improved carpet padding during the next round of replacement.

Thank you for choosing Steele Hill Resorts to spend your vacation. We appreciate your business and hope to see you up on the Hill again soon.

Rob Robillard, General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sanbornton
10.3 km away
The Wolfeboro Inn
#3 of 6 in Wolfeboro
7.9 km away
Econolodge Inn & Suites

Been to Steele Hill Resorts? Share your experiences!