“Love this place!”

Polar Caves Park
Ranked #1 of 8 things to do in Rumney
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: A family experience since 1922 located in the scenic Baker River Valley. Come tour our natural scenic attraction featuring 9 glacial caves. While visiting, feed the fallow deer, exotic birds and ducks. Also try the Polar Mining Expedition and Klondike Mines; Tour our Maple Sugar Museum and enjoy the truly unique Glacial Rock Garden. Bring your own lunch and enjoy our picnic area with charcoal grills, charcoal not provided. Our Snack bar is open daily, featuring homemade pizza. Open Daily 9am to 5pm Spring and Summer, 4:30pm in the fall.
Reviewed 30 January 2010

I've been going here since I was little.. I'm in my twenties now & I still love it. If you love the outdoors & nature, you'll enjoy it! They have animals, walking paths, great views, and caves to climb through! There is a lot of things to take photos of, just make sure to wear shoes you can walk/climb through the caves in!

Reviewed 30 October 2009

We took our son here on our trip to New England and what a pleasant place. Quiet with amazing views, gift shop was very clean and very well stocked. The real pleasant surprise was the young man who was raking leaves while we were there. He stopped raking as we walked by, and we ended up talking to him. He was so pleasant, and helpful and really enjoyed his job, and only had great things to say about his employer and took such pride in his work. This was one of the highlights of the trip. I have a bad back and couldn't do some of the caves, but that is ok, because they make walkways around them for those that can't do them. Clean picnic area with plenty of picnic tables, you can tell they take pride in the place. Go and you won't be disappointed.

2  Thank THunter33
Reviewed 10 September 2009

This is really fun trip for just about any adult who enjoys a bit of a challenge. The caves are really neat and self guided. There's a lot of bending, twisting, crawling, and wiggling but it makes for a fun time especially if you go in a group. You'll find yourself laughing as you try to contort yourself into all kinds of positions. My only gripe is that it seems like it doesn't last long enough. I suggest taking your time and relaxing in some of the caves when you get a chance.

Reviewed 8 September 2009

Went to the Polar Caves over the holiday weekend and had a nice time. Fist time visiting and the grounds are clean and the workers are very friendly. Spent two hours exploring the grounds and the caves. When you go to the maple sugar gift shop, make sure you have a pickle....yummy!!!!

Would definitely go back for another fun day squeezing through the LEMON SQUEEZE!!!!

1  Thank JanetfromMA
Reviewed 8 September 2009

We went to Polar caves on Labor Day weekend with three children (6 to 8 years of age). They had never been to caves before, and this park really whetted their appetite for spelunking.
The gift shop provides a helpful map with instructions for each cave. Each cave can be bypassed. We found the caves were fairly easy to navigate. The whole trip was not very strenuous. The kids laughed at the caves' names, like "Fat Man's misery."
The Lemon squeeze was a bit difficult to navigate, but doable. We did the lemon squeeze in the Lost River Gorge two days later, and I found that the one in Polar caves was the more challenging one for adults. Our kids and many other kids that day did this challenge more than once. The other caves were moderately challenging and all were a lot of fun. Each cave was well lit. I did think it would have helped to have more instructions outside the caves or in the maps on what to expect from each cave.

The kids also liked the petting zoo and the park had beautiful pheasants and various waterfowl. I would pass on the gem mining. The maple house was also more of a shop, and not much on exhibit.

The gift shop was a nice place to unwind and get refreshments from after a tiring tour. The kids liked the IQ challenges on the table. The staff were all very helpful. There were plenty of souvenir items to purchase. I noticed some families having a picnic on the grounds and they also provide grills for that.
Parking was not a problem at all.

Overall, this was a great place to go. Plan on spending a few hours. It is more accessible and easier than the Lost River Gorge, but we thought the latter was more challenging and more beautiful.

3  Thank MAmommy