“One of the nicer Courtyards I've stayed at.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Courtyard Portsmouth

Courtyard Portsmouth
Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in Portsmouth
Montreal, Canada
“One of the nicer Courtyards I've stayed at.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2011

Wasn't expecting much. We were simply driving through on our way to Boston but this place blew me away.
Megann at the front desk was charming, giving us directions for some late-night grub. Even as we walked back in (much later), the Night Auditor (I didn't catch her name) was welcoming and helpful.
The room was FANTASTIC! The beds looked (and felt) brand new. The bathroom was spotless. Ignore the dated carpet and the shady elevator, they put their renovation dollars where it counts. And as a previous poster mentioned, the gym is top-notch. Big, well-stocked and CLEAN!
My only complaints are the loud in-room appliances (AC, fridge) and a somewhat unappealing breakfast offering (everything there is free at a Garden Inn).
I highly recommend this place if you are in the area.

Room Tip: Bring your workout clothes and a bathing suit
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Delray Beach, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2011

This hotel met all of my typical Courtyard expectations: friendly, clean, safe and comfortable.

But for me, the surprise was in the fitness center which was by far the largest, best equipped and cleanest of any Courtyard that I have visited. Plenty of machines to choose from and big flat screens. This was not an "after-thought" to the hotel. So many times, hotels will stick a few machines in a converted room and call it a fitness center, but not here!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2011

Our room had a broken sink. We notified the desk upon check in and they said they would try and find someone to fix it (being a Saturday). We went out and when we returned it was still not fixed, we called again and they claimed to have fixed it, but would send someone up but they had no one to fix it being a Saturday. The following morning when we spoke to the desk - they offered us free buffett brunch - we were meeting people for breakfast so declined.
When I complained, they credited us the cost of the buffet breakfast $29 (????) - We has breakfast at the Wentworth by the Sea and it was $14.95 per person and wonderful and much nicer.
I have written 2 letters to Marriott to complain about a room with an unusable sink - we could not brush our teeth and my husband could not shave - and Marriott has never responded. I am highly disappointed that even basic living conditions were ignored and we were still charged a ridiculous amount of money for this room.
Marriott should be ashamed of the way they handled this.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DAH777

Travellers are raving about these Portsmouth hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2011

Not my first choice when researching Portsmouth, but Restaurant week limited my last minute options. Day shift manager gave us the early check in with no problem. Room was very clean (with the exception of the odd stains on the wall). I was leery due to the elevator, ice machine, linen closet combo outside my door, but when it mattered, it was very quiet. Then came the burning popcorn bag fire alarm exodus...30 degrees in the parking lot! Ended up being offered gratis breakfast for our inconvenience. All in all, better than I expected. Good job, Steve (night shift manager)!

• Stayed November 2011
saint john nb
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2011

I've stayed here before (June 2011) and found the hotel to be average. Price is great and the rooms are comfortable. This trip my experience wasn't that great and I won't be returning, I'll go to the Hilton downtown Portsmouth where the service is better, rooms ate cleaner and location is great.... I'll pay more to get my bang for my buck!

A nor-Easter snow storm hit the area on 29th Oct. The hotel didn't have any lights in the stairwells. We had to come down stairs in pitch dark - thank-goodness no one fell. When we approached the front desk we questioned the lighting issue and made a comment to the fact that no lighting wouldn't pass any fire Marshall safety check! He said the back up lights only last 3hours. He explained that they had a "brown outage" which meant that some rooms had lights, cable and others had nothing. (no offer of moving us to a room that had heat, lights, cable by the way)
When we returned from our work meeting the place was still dark and the front desk clerk offered us a couple of glow sticks!

I am surprised that the hotel didn't have supplies for the guests, dollar store flashlights at least!

They just didn't seem concerned enough for me, other guests said they experienced power outages at other hotels and were offered water, snacks, extra blankets, and flash lights..... You would think that with frequent snow storms that this area gets, they would have a better emergency plan, safety, etc.....

• Stayed October 2011