“Cute, great salads and sandwiches”

Popovers On The Square
Ranked #2 of 11 Dessert in Portsmouth
Price range: USD 5 - USD 25
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Takeout
Description: Popovers on the Square is a fast-casual, pleasant café and bakery located in the heart of Portsmouth’s historic and charming Market Square serving breakfast, lunch and dinner daily. We embrace the European philosophy of fresh and seasonal food, outstanding coffees and wines, exceptional pastries and desserts, and, of course, a relaxing and convivial ambiance from which to enjoy your entire experience. Established in 2006, the name Popovers was chosen to reflect and promote that golden brown, light, and buttery New England staple. We hope Popovers on the Square will become your café, your bakery, and, most importantly, your home-away-from-home when you are looking to relax, eat well, and enjoy family or meet old and new friends.
Reviewed 1 October 2015 via mobile

Nice place to have a quick lunch. Desserts are amazing! Fast and very friendly service. We had a nice time just sitting and watching people walk by on the sidewalk.

Reviewed 30 September 2015

I was in town for business and went for an early morning walk from the hotel. I stopped here for breakfast (and a much better coffee than the hotels serve). I ordered a ham/swiss/egg sandwich on a bagel which was freshly prepared. Along with it I had an americano and ate my food outside at one of their tables. On such a beautiful morning, it was a great spot to sit and eat. The sandwich was very good - although I wished I ordered a filled popover - which a few of my business partners did - they looked fabulous. I will be back soon to try one myself. One little thing to note - they have a lot of great looking pastries in their display case. I noticed some mold on 2 of them (which I informed them of to pull) - might be worth asking when the items were prepared if you order some.

Reviewed 26 September 2015

..... can't beat that ! My friend and I had our annual "friend visit" in Portsmouth, and I often stop here when I'm in town. The staff are friendly and the warm popovers are yummy (especially the optional maple butter that comes with it). We each got a coffee beverage as well, for not all that much. Fun place.... and we sat outdoors on the square ! I will come back.

Reviewed 23 September 2015

Casual atmosphere with great salads and popovers. I have always come here for the best Whoopie pies ever!!!! They come as close as possible to my homemade ones. I even brought some home on the plane. A friend of mine loved them so much she is having some shipped to her in Nevada!!!

Thank JEFFREY and El... G
Reviewed 21 September 2015

When I asked a local where I might find a quick healthy meal in downtown Portsmouth, she recommended Popovers. I wasn't disappointed. My salad with smoked salmon was incredibly fresh and tasty. Popovers offers a half and full size portion of their salad and is very reasonable in a town where restaurants can be pricey. Baked goods are big business in Portsmouth and Popovers has a wide selection of tempting treats. The outdoor patio is a nice place to linger over lunch.

Been to Popovers On The Square? Share your experiences!