“Great coffee shop”

Breaking New Grounds
Ranked #1 of 15 Coffee & Tea in Portsmouth
Cuisines: Cafe
Reviewed 14 August 2017 via mobile

Great little coffee shop ideal for stopping in before touring the town shops. It was very quick service and had a laid back local vibe. I had a mocha and wife had an iced coffee- no complaints either way.

Reviewed 13 August 2017

Always a great cup of coffee and dessert items. Great staff, fun people watching, great atmosphere. Always a great mix of customers inside.

Reviewed 5 August 2017

Just the way a coffee house should be- plenty of tables, WiFi, excellent coffees, teas, drinks, bakery items and friendly service. Next year when I am in Portsmouth I will spend quite a few hours there while my wife checks back on me from time-to-time.

Reviewed 26 July 2017

I'm a frequent visitor of Breaking New Grounds because I work from home and they allow me to work in the shop (there are a few outlets and such to plug in computers). They have a huge coffee and treat selection. You get a free re-fill when you drink in-store.

Desserts include cakes, cheesecakes, various "breads" (tea breads, banana breads, etc,), muffins, bagels, cookies, and all sorts of goodies. Nice biscotti, too. No full meals, so no salads, etc. But enough for breakfast or a light lunch even.

Free WiFi but it can be really spotty. I usually tap onto someone else :)

They also have outside seating so you can watch the hustle and bustle of Portsmouth. The only thing I'm not sure about are whether or not the tables outside are theirs. I am pretty sure they are, in which case, it would be great o have more monitoring as tourists will sit there for hours without even buying anything (and again, I sit there for hours [and I buy multiple treats and coffees] at a time so I see it often).

Reviewed 16 July 2017

After a fair dinner, walked here to have dessert and coffee. Lots of choices that pleased everyone. Chocolate/Peanut Butter was everyone's favorite, over the NY Cheesecake. Sat outside and which the nightlife.