“Anniversary Dinner with my Bride”
Review of Ristorante Massimo

Ristorante Massimo
Reserve with OpenTable
Ristorante Massimo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 219 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Price range: USD 31 - USD 50
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: State Street
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Always wanted to eat here after walking by many times on Penhallow with my young kids who eat a steady diet of pasta & butter
Finally, just my wife and I last week. They recommended table #8 when my on line note said it was our anniversary. Yeah. They were right. #8 is an intimate little alcoved table for two. Perfect. Service was perfect. Food of a higher order than just about everything else out there. A la carte menu with traditional antipasti, primi, secondi and dolce. My octopus primi was grilled perfectly and presented beautifully. My wife’s lobster Gnocchi again perfect. Many of the pasta dishes can be had as smaller plates. That smaller portion was perfect! The winner was my veal chop dead on medium rare with roasted halved brussel sprouts. The best I’ve ever had. Not even close.
Desserts were exquisite.
The dining room seating is subterranean and you would be hard pressed to think you weren’t in the old country.
For all this you pay and pay quite a bit. If I had any detracting comments it would be the value for the dollar. Food, service and ambiance of this caliber costs. Special occasions then for us. My dad always said that people that can will always pay out of proportion for excellent quality. That pretty much explains our Massimo experience. We will be back. Thankfully no pasta with butter not on the menu.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

Great dinner. Excellent wine selection. Waitress was a little backed up but made up for it in good spirit.

I had the veal chop which was almost
Tomahawk looking, and lacked a little flavor but was cooked perfectly.

The others had the scallops and said they were amazing. We had a cheese platter for 5 they made up and it too was amazing.

It's pricey but worth it!

Definitely recommend.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

Found this place on trip advisor when looking for a nice Italian restaurant. The main dining room is downstairs and accessible from the bar on the ground floor or a separate entrance in the back of the restaurant. We found parking across the side street in a public lot.

The food was amazing, every dish we had. We started with the shrimp panzanella and burrato with prosciutto. The shrimp were small sized but coated in a light batter which was delicious. The bread croutons were amazing too, tasted like their were soaked in olive oil and then baked.

For pastas, we tried the Genovese and the gnocchi. Both were home made pastas and the gnocchis were light without a potato taste.

For our entree, we had the chicken saltimbucco with mash potato and brussel sprouts sides. I am used to the veal saltimbucco but the chicken was soft and juicy wrapped in the prosciutto, a nice twist on this dish. The brussel sprouts were sautéed but dry with pieces of bacon, delicious.

The portion sizes were just right so you never felt overwhelmed but satisfied with each dish. The wine list was comprehensive from a varietal and price point perspective without being overwhelming, something for everyone at every price point.

The service was amazing too, dressed in black suits and white shirts. Jennifer was very nice and attentive to our needs. Massimo even stopped by and introduced himself and we compared notes from our Italian roots.

Overall, one of the top 5 Italian restaurants I have been to with NYC or Boston quality food and service at Portsmouth prices.

Reviewed 4 October 2018

We really enjoyed Massimo. It's on two floors, the entry level being a really nice zinc bar....one of those kinds of places where everyone knew each other's name. Nice bartenders, nice atmosphere We dined in the main dining room a floor below. Cozy, nice lighiing, and excellent food with a reasonable wine list. Thorough Italan menu. We enjoyed the kobe meatball as an appetizer, and both had the featured carbonara, which we liked a lot. A little different twist to the prep on it, with the pancetta crisped on top. Excellent friendly service. We look forward to returning!

Reviewed 3 October 2018

The food is wonderful but the atmosphere really is old world, a perfect venue for a romantic evening or a quiet space with fine food.. A local favorite.