Wentworth by the Sea, A Marriott Hotel & Spa
Great Island Inn(New Castle)
USD 216*
Courtyard Portsmouth(Portsmouth)
USD 201*
USD 184*
USD 178*
Howard Johnson Portsmouth(Portsmouth)(Great Value!)
USD 110*
USD 119*
USD 115*
1,564 results
All reviewsgrand hotelbeautiful historic hotelthe main hotelthe concierge loungethe main dining roomwater viewcorner roomnew englandbreakfast buffetindoor poollobster rollsalt restaurantfront desk managermarina suitehot tubromantic getawayheated floors
Reviewed 8 March 2012

Last weekend I took my elderly parents to Wentworth by the Sea for a birthday celebration. This resort is perfect. It is immaculate, the food is wonderful and the ambiance is so inviting. Fresh flowers, blazing fires and a bartender that knows how to mix a good dringk (The Nutty Irish Coffee is highly recommended).

We had dinner in the dining room and everything from the bread basket to the coffee was great. I have traveled all over the world and have stayed many places - and this is a favorite. The pool area is bright and nice and warm. Parking is easy and the resort is large enough that you feel like you have it to yourself.

As a side note - my dad is handicapped and we received a handicapped room with response buzzers and grab bars. The hotel is completely wheelchair accessible and the staff couldn't be more helpful.

I will definitely be back!o

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank Hucky08
Reviewed 5 March 2012

Myself and five friends recently attended the Wentworth by the Sea's Wine Festival and although the wines were very good the price of $85 for the tasting of eight wines with passed light h'orderves seemed excessive. Also we were treated rudely by a manager that complained we were being too loud in the lounge when truly all we were doing was holding a conversation. There were other larger parties there that were not being spoken to. We believe it was our location next to the piano player that prompted this but it could have and should have been presented and handled so much better. You expect more from a hotel in this price range with this reputation.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 March 2012

Christmas is very special here, especially if you like a "White Christmas"!

Let it snow, and relax at a great place, dine in a wonderful place. They offer free shuttle to town, and will gladly pick you up when done in town. A memorable place! Make sure to take the family and enjoy the shopping, dining and sites nearby!

Room Tip: Have the Concierge arrange to have you picked up at Logan. It will cost you, but it's better than renting a car.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 February 2012

The hotel was absolutely booked when we stayed there and there were a lot of families with young children. Because our room was smaller, we heard everything that was going on in the hallway and the room across from ours. We hear a baby crying every morning and evening, we heard doors SLAMMING closed, and we were woken up throughout the night from the air conditioner/heat shutting on and off - it made a loud thumping sound about every half hour. My husband and I came to the Wentworth to celebrate our anniversary and get some much needed rest and were sorely disappointed that we could not even sleep through the night because the room was so poorly insulated from sound. Additionally, because the hotel was full, every possible community space was full of people and with children running around. For such a large property, we were very surprised at how small the check-in area was, and how chaotic the community areas were as the lobby also functioned as the entryway to the restaurant, the sitting room, and the bar area. Not the calm, grand hotel experience we were hoping for and thus it felt like a waste of Marriot points. I would never pay full price to stay at the Wentoworth again, and would use my Marriot points elsewhere as my expectations for what the highest class of Marriot hotels should be was not met at the Wentworth. I understand that this is an older building but simple adjustments should be made like putting door stoppers to slow how fast a door closes so that it does not slam. Additionally, I should not be able to hear children crying from the room across the hall, or be able to hear just how many people on my floor are getting room service in the morning.

One other disappointment was that we were initially given the room right next to the elevator (which is not good as we are lighter sleepers). We immediately went back down to the front desk and luckily there was one other room available but it had a partial view (one window instead of two and the window looks into another hotel room from one angle). This room had one chair in addition to the bed for a sitting area and the chair was ripped and torn along the edges and dirty- it felt very tired.

It just sort of felt like since we were using points and not paying out of pocket (thank goodness because I would NEVER pay $300 or more for that experience) we were given the worst rooms in the hotel, which is not what I should be feeling as a loyal Marriot member. I saved up my points for 2 years to stay at a hotel the level of the Wentworth and it just left a bad taste in my mouth. I will never return to the Wentworth and will advise friend and family of my experience since our calm relaxing getaway left me feeling like I needed another vacation to relax.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view, away from the elevator, with more than one window.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Etty305
Reviewed 29 February 2012

We are frequent Marriott customers. We stayed in a premium suite to enjoy Valentines day and night together. The room was very nice. Loved the oversized bathroom. The room shades did not fully cover the window so the lights from the front of the hotel shined in all night long. The shades in the living room actually fell down while we were out on the second day there. The restaurant was very pricey and not worth the cost. I expect much more from a category 6 Marriott.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple