All reviews historic hotel no elevator main st chain hotel cookie cutter sloping floors coffee pot your luggage new england quaint town white mountains bed was comfortable the lower level first floor spent one night covered bridge hot water
Reviewed 12 August 2018

Thayers Inn is a historic hotel that is seriously showing its age. The creaky floors, sloping floors, old plumbing, need for renovation is to be expected. There doesn't seem to be any effort though to fix the things that really need attention. We had a pleasant stay there for 2 days and the front desk staff were great. The window air conditioner in the room worked well and was not very loud. We expected some of the historic issues, but I just wish I could feel good about recommending this place to others. The town of Littleton has a lot to offer, so it was enjoyable to walk around there. We had a decent pub meal in the lower level bar room also.

Room Tip: Best rooms are in the back, away from the main street.
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank William S
jerrico01, Public Relations Manager at Thayers Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2018

William, we appreciate you booking a stay at our historic inn. You commented that "there doesn't seem to be any effort to fix the things that really need attention," but you are likely unaware of the numerous renovations that have been made in recent months. A lot of attention has been paid to upgrading our rooms and facilities, with a substantial and ongoing financial commitment to keeping it maintained. You can't simply ignore things with a 166-year-old hotel, especially when you are committed to making it even better! We're glad that you enjoyed your stay and appreciate you letting us know that the front desk staff took good care of you. We also thank you for giving the Pub a try and hope you enjoyed it. We hope you return so you can see the details we give attention.

Reviewed 3 August 2018

Myself and family stayed last weekend. I complemented the hotel on my arrival and was very looking forward to the stay. The in room info pack had a 'Dine in or Room Service menu'. my kids wanted this. i wrote down my order. i went to reception. Reception would not take my order. they said i had to go to the bar / restaurant and place it there. And that the restaurant would then tell me how long it would take, and i would then have to go and pick it up to take it up to the room. So it was definitely NOT my definition of what room service was.

OK, so i did that. And the restaurant said it would be maximum 25-30 mins. i had ordered onion rings, a plate of chips, mussels, and a burger and chips. Not a complicated order. i set an alarm on my watch, and left.

i came back 25 mins later. And waited at the bar. (My wife and friends were in a restaurant over the street. i had placed my order for dinner with them, factoring in that i would be away to pick up said items, to take up to teens in the room). i chatted to a nice couple at the bar. they knew i was waiting for my order. 15 mins after chatting to them, they said to me that they were surprised my order was still not ready. I was surprised as well. this was now a total of 45 mins since i had placed my order. (this delay meant that my actual meal, in the other restaurant, was sitting on the table stone cold).

i asked the barman if my order would be ready soon, since it was now a lot longer that the 25-30 mins they had stated. it was the barman's' 1st night. he looked a bit perplexed and not sure of the electronic ordering system. i was a tad perplexed. it was not a complicated order. He called over his other colleague, and i explained the situation to her. Nobody seemed to think that i had any reason to be concerned. I explained i had another meal now stone cold, due to their delay.

The manager of the hotel then come over. His 1st words were "Back off Sir, you're in my space." I’ve never had anyone say this to me in my life. i was not being aggressive. i am english / Scottish. Perhaps there was a 'lost in translation' scenario. I was rightfully enquiring as to when i would expect said items.

"You are way too dynamic' replied the manager.

At this point. I was lost for words. What exactly does that mean?
I do NOT think he was saying that to me as a compliment. I have a personality, indeed. Hence why when i 1st arrived at the hotel, I'd complemented them so much on the hotel and room. (My trip advisor profile confirms this: if something is great I applaud it, if it’s not then I don’t)

At this point the food arrived, and i was very, very happy to be able to exit this un comfortable scenario. I took items to the room. 1 plastic bag of drinks, 1 plastic bag of polystyrene food containers.

As such they had not made / supplied the mussels, and forgotten 1 portion of fries but I did not find this out till much later on from the kids / teens in our room. The last thing i wanted to do was go back down to speak to this manager, who made me feel so un-comfortable after I'd asked where my order was, based on the timings they gave, which 20mins later than quoted, i believe i was more than entitled to enquire about. Irrespective of the fact that my meal in the restaurant with friends over the road, was of course by now ruined.

I've never before been made to feel so un-comfortable.
I arrived at the hotel, with the highest compliments to them.
Perhaps being complementary is part of being a 'dynamic' person.

The experience made the rest of my evening very un happy.

The manager should be ashamed of how he responded. If he checks the time at which the order was placed in the till, and the time at which it was delivered he will see that 45 mins for a wrong order, of items that came out of a frying machine, isn't anything to be proud of. He should have apologised for the delay. He did nothing of the sort.

It's a lovely looking hotel, with quaint and quirky rooms, but unfortunately it is ruined by a manager (or perhaps he isn’t and wants to be) who fails to accept responsibility for his own poor service and lack of professional hospitality towards a genuinely kind and gregarious person and family, who perhaps are / is dynamic.

I’d like to think dynamism is a positive personality, however it rather feels he was saying it to me in a derogatory manner.

I would like to finally add that all of the above could and should have been avoided if they had provided the service that they ADVERTISE and which they feature in their in room welcome and info pack, and which in fact they have on trip advisor site, namely ROOM SERVICE.

If they had provided this advertised service or had offered to bring the food to the room when it was ready (which I enquired about and was told categorically ‘no!”) then it would have solved everything. It was not as if it was a tray of food they would have to bring up 3 flights of stairs, it was 2 plastic bags of plastic containers, not even containing the full / complete orders.

Shocking. Every where else in the world I have stayed, I doubt I would even have had to ask, and it would have been happily offered by any staff member.

Reading their website.........The founder of Thayer’s Inn : Henry L. Thayer (also known as ‘Dad Thayer”) proudly built his success and that of the Inn on “the quality of service” and I’m sure he would be most disappointed by this incident and indeed would never have let this happen.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
jerrico01, Public Relations Manager at Thayers Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2018

We are sorry your experience with our Inn resulted in this type of interaction, regardless of whose story you believe. Our manager and server recount a very different set of facts which they say could be confirmed by the guests in attendance who were also shocked by your behavior. There is nothing to be gained here by retelling our side of the story in agonizing detail. It's always sad when a rare situation like this occurs.

The manager and staff at Thayers Inn are all driven by the desire to provide a comfortable and welcoming experience for our guests. When a guest may occasionally become unhappy, we work diligently to make things right and provide the kind of experience we would want in a similar situation. Obviously, we did not succeed in this situation and we regret that.

We wish you safe travel in your future and regret that we will not be one of your happier memories. However, we take heart in the fact that most of our guests think back upon us fondly.

Reviewed 10 July 2018

Spent two nights in this classic and well decorated New England mansion. Front rooms can be noisy but the restaurant downstairs is cheerful and good. This is a great spot to make your headquarters for visiting interesting places in NH. We enjoyed out stay!

Stayed: October 2017
1  Thank spinningjen2017
jerrico01, Public Relations Manager at Thayers Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2018

Thanks for sharing your experience. We do agree that we offer a great HQ for exploring downtown Littleton by foot and New Hampshire generally. Glad you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed 27 June 2018

We went up to New England to see family and friends and while in Littleton, we selected Thayers Inn for it's history and prices. What a disappointment. Although on the registry for Historic Places, this place is sub-par at best. Historic doesn't mean keep up with maintenance and/or the times.

The room we had was on the second floor. No elevators, so be ready to haul luggage on your own. Staff was disinterested to inattentive (with the exception of the bar staff in the restaurant in the basement / cellar).

Our room was small and very tacky. Decor could use to be updated and maintenance is in order from chipped paint, dirty tub drains, dirty caulk, torn window shades, scrapped up and nasty window tint in the bathroom etc. (see pics).

On top of that the bed was not very comfortable and we had to go to walmart and buy descent pillows. Linens in the bath were provided, but enough for two. I don't know about you, but when we are on vacation, its not untypical to take a few showers in a day due to traveling, walking and having different events, so more than two bath towels would be nice. Even in the lower budget hotels they generally give you at least 4 bath towels to start.

Probably the most disturbing point was when we were napping in our room with the 'Do not disturb sign' on the door when we were awakend by a key in the door. I bolted up in bed and the door actually started opening!!! I yelled 'HELLO' to which there was a timid, sorry and the door closed and locked. My wife and I immediatly got dressed and went to the front desk. We explained what happened and the girl at the front desk indicated it was her and she was delivering towels and went to the wrong room. Well, first off...knocking is standard when entering someones room, two this hotel uses real keys, so this person had to select the key and go to our room. To say the least this disturbed us, especially since the rooms don't have safes. So this and other factors made us decide to check out a day early. We went to the front desk to give them about 36 hours notice of our plans to which they indicated we needed to give 7 days notice. Really? Well we ended up arguing this to no avail and left a day early without a refund of our last day.

Really, in our opinion, this place is pretty run down and not managed well. We'd recommend any other hotel in the area. There is a well know chain hotel directly across from Littleton's Walmart and that's were we would stay in the future if we returned.

If you decide to stay at Thayers Inn, don't set high expectations. You'll leave very disappointed.

Room Tip: Find and alternative.
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
4  Thank ScottG_FL
jerrico01, Public Relations Manager at Thayers Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2018

Scott, we've actually put quite a bit of investment into repairing and enhancing the hotel. It is a continuing process, as you point out, but we are not neglectful of our grand ole hotel, as your review implies. We regret that housekeeping did not see the Do Not Disturb sign while attempting to bring the additional towels you felt were lacking. Our historic inn is unique, so comparisons to chain motels is a bit like comparing apples to oranges. Criticizing your room for being small is commenting on how much less space travelers needed or expected when the hotel was constructed in the 1840’s. On your point about pricing, you stated that you selected Thayers at least partially because of our affordable rates. We regret if the front desk staff seemed in any way disinterested or inattentive. We can assure you that is not the case. Are you commenting on the need to carry your own luggage to your room? On your other point, we regret that we can't just offer refunds for guests who decide to leave early, but when you reserve a space for a given period, there's no guarantee that another guest will come along on short notice and book that space, which puts us in a position of losing money -- money that we put back into restoring and improving the hotel.

It sounds like we just weren't a good fit for each other, and you would have been a lot happier at that chain hotel next to Walmart. For those who can appreciate the unique qualities of a historic hotel and our convenient location within walking distance of everything downtown, we agree that we're far more likely to satisfy.

Reviewed 11 June 2018

I stayed in room 12 in the back of the hotel and it was very quiet and peaceful! Everyone at the hotel and restaurant were very nice and welcoming! The beds were comfortable and the room was Super clean! Can't wait to visit again!

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank hswitser84
jerrico01, Public Relations Manager at Thayers Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2018

Thank you for letting us know!