All reviews duck pond indoor pool the woodward hot tub white mountains new hampshire great weekend main building franconia notch state park suite ducks tennis sauna nh fireplace game basin
Reviewed 25 August 2018 via mobile

We came here at the end of July to relax and just sleep after a couple days of planned fun. The room was musty, but I didn't mind. The gazebo and ducks were cute. We loved the pool and hot tub. The grounds are really pretty. You can walk to whale's tale water park next door. The staff was nice and helpful the whole time. They upgraded us to a queen room. This is where it turns awful. When we went to sleep, we were swarmed with bedbugs. We tried to sleep in the other bed, but started getting bit there too. We had no choice but to sleep in our car sitting up. I literally sat there counting the hours and minutes and was exhausted by the time someone came to the office to open up. They refunded us but were as horrified as we were to learn about the infestation. One that huge I assume had to be there for some time. I showed them some dead bugs and had pics. I didn't want them to think I was lying or anything. We had bites on us. We were instructed to find a 24 hr laundry mat and put all our stuff in dryers on high heat..bags and all. I sat half naked in the car in front of staring people, while we did our clothes and bags for half our vacay a bit away from attractions. With less money and time we salvaged our stay and did a couple things. But when we got home I was alarmed to find a bug crawling out of my bag! I have no idea how it could have survived the high heat! What kills these things? I killed it and we painstakingly inspected things again and the car for two more days which resulted in little sleep but no more bugs that we were able to find. I'm a lil ocd so this was awful for me. We live in neat, tidy apartments. We both live in apartment buildings. Full of people. If any escaped,..ug. So far nothing has happened. It's been a month now. So I'm finally writing all this. I wrote a review before but it was taken down. I honestly don't want them to lose business. It's a quaint place near my fave places I've gone to for years. But they have to do something about the old beds and molding wood in back. Some kind of good treatment. I'm scared people will spread stuff unknowingly and it wouldn't be fair not to mention it on here. You need to know it's a good place, but if you want peace of mind, don't stay unless they have solved the problem. I'm still worried. I'm not sure what they can do as I overheard that the owner may be in a senior home and not sure how much money could be put in this place for now on. Maybe that's why the restaurant was closed indefinitely too? I feel bad we had to complain but we honestly got no sleep. Everything besides our sleeping was good there. I even saw a great blue heron at the duck pond. I can't assume every room was like ours. So maybe get a room not attached to the office building? I Hope this review is helpful.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank bleedinglilly74
Reviewed 25 August 2018 via mobile

We just returned from a friends Vacation 4 families 4 rooms, we all had s great time but the hotel was the only bad part. The TV show hotel impossible should, plan an episode around this!

Check in took for ever, rooms were not ready, and was told the restaurant was closed indefinitely due to Managements decision.

Area we stayed smelled, like Urin, and overall looked dirty, the rooms had a funky smell, and every night stand was sticky. We paid for a fireplace room and it didn’t work.

The Bathroom sink was held to the wall but some clear cocking that looked moldy, and let’s just say I wouldn’t shower in the tub.

The worst part was the electronic key system didn’t work I needed to get 4 sets of keys for 2 nights, and the front desk closes at 10pm sharp and luckily one od our rooms windows were unlocked and I was able to slide my son through it.

The staff seemed not to care, and didn’t even apologize for our issue

They have a nice indoor and outdoor pool but that’s about the only thing I can stay positive about my stay.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 August 2018

My husband and I have been going to Woodwards since 2008 as part of an annual motorcycle trip from Ontario to Maine and New Hampshire One of the biggest draws was the restaurant and the chef preparing excellent prime rib along with other great dishes The restaurant was always full everynight of the week Well things have really changed the restaurant is closed for dinner and the breakfast menu is limited (if was good though) the rooms are dated the bedspreads haven't changed since 2008 and are looking very worn and tired We always stayed for 4 nights but this year changed it to 2 nights we had to take the shuttle into Lincoln for dinner we were traveling this year with another couple so the shuttle was $5 per person plus we gave him a $5 tip each way well that $50 + the $90 we spent on dinner and drinks would have been money spent at Woodwards We love travelling in the area and staying @ Woodwards had always been a big highlight for us - unfortunately next year we won't be back we will be trying out another venue We really hope the new owners will take note of what everyone is saying and bring it back to the way it was a few years ago The manager Dave was very nice and helpful and Chris who's worked there since we started coming really helped make our holiday enjoyable We will keep watching the reviews hoping for positive changes

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sharonrob2015
Reviewed 15 August 2018 via mobile

My girlfriend and I visited here in July. We enjoyed the peaceful ambience of the property as well as the pool and game room even if those were a bit dated. We especially liked the way the hot tub spilled into the swimming pool. The rooms weren’t anything special but we didn’t mind too much since the price was on the low side. However, the trip took a terrible turn when we laid down to sleep. We noticed something crawling on the pillow and turned on the light to find the headboard covered in bedbugs! We ended up packing our bags and spending the night in the car and checked out the moment the office opened. We were happy that the staff at Woodward’s refunded us, but now we’re worried that we might find bugs at our apartment. Be sure to check around your bed thoroughly if you decide to stay here.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Matthew H
Reviewed 15 August 2018 via mobile

I’ve stayed in this property on numerous occasions over the years, both with friends and with ski groups. My visits were always during the ski season.
As I was in the area this summer, I decided to book a night at Woodward’s, as I always loved the place.
Unfortunately, this property has lost its charm and character. It is run down, tired and in need of investment.
The entrance is filthy, with spider webs everywhere. The carpet is dirty and the desk staff were less than welcoming.
When we booked, I asked for a first floor room. I was given a downstairs room beside the outdoor pool.
The room was just ok, but the beds were loose. The bathroom decor was poor and it was in need of a good clean.
The once highly rated ‘Open Hearth Steak House’ is gone. There’s no public restaurant anymore, just a dining room for breakfast. (At least it was given as complimentary-thanks)
The dining room also needs a revamp and a deep clean. The breakfast was ok, but no cereal. I asked for maple syrup and was given a catering pack of corn syrup. Yes-no maple syrup served in the White Mountains! The lady serving breakfast was very nice but didn’t seem to be trained in hospitality service.
I’m glad the stay was only for one night.
When the property was in the hands of the Woodward family and run by them and their staff, it was a great place to stay.
When I’m next in the White Mountains, I’ll pass Woodward’s and say “that’s the place I used to stay, it was once a lovely property”.
Maybe someday they will invest in this place and bring it back to the homely, great place that it once was.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple