“"Hats Off" to the innkeeper and staff!!!!”
Review of Whitney's Inn

Whitney's Inn
Ranked #6 of 11 Jackson B&B and Inns
South Portland, Maine
“"Hats Off" to the innkeeper and staff!!!!”
Reviewed 12 September 2012

This was a perfect venue for a late summer wedding! Horses in the pasture....A beautiful vista/backdrop for the ceremony.....A great old (very clean!) barn for the reception(What a party!! We made that barn rock!)....Nicely appointed (and very clean) rooms for the guests....Perfectly prepared and presented food!....And a terrific staff/team that didn't miss a beat!
What a great value!
Whitney's knows how to take care of their guests! We liked it so much that my wife and I have reservations next weekend to spend some quiet time there....you know, fresh air...great New England scenery in the fall! Life doesn't get any better!
......
Father of the Bride

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Charles H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Reviewed 4 September 2012

We stayed in a cottage, it was filthy and smelled like dog.
The outside had a little porch with a disgustingly dirty and a broken chair. Leaves were everywhere. There was no toilet paper.
The breakfast was ridiculous, and when telling the waitress if my daughters peamut allergy she looked at me like I had 3 heads. I asked if peanut products were in the pancake mix, she said "I dont know" So I said "well can you find out please?"
The cookies that at the front desk desk were clearly frozen, and NOT homemade aftwr asking again about the ingredients. They claimed they were fresh and homemade... liars
The best part was the shovel handle pub and our waitress, she was very accomodating abd friendly and assured my daughters meal was safe.

We will never go back or recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed September 2012
Selma,NC
Reviewed 31 August 2012

While vacationing in New Hampshire last week my wife and I stayed 3 nights at Whitney's Inn.
I think we both can say we had a very positive experience, even though there was a scare with the air conditioning unit --- which led the owner to upgrade us to a King Room.
Every employee we came in contact with was courteous and attentive to our needs --- especially the young man who worked on our stubborn computer.
The breakfast each morning was delicious and the choices were generous. The location was perfect for us since we enjoy touring the local area each day.
The only drawback I can think of is the size, or lack thereof, of the bathrooms. This was often related in other reviews we had read, but you sort of have to "see it to believe it".
This factor in no way would keep us from visiting Whitney's Inn on another trip to NH.
The rates are certainly reasonable and the attention to guest's needs is certainly paramount to the staff. While we are an AARP couple, the families with children were never a problem.

Room Tip: Splurg for a King Room (or have air conditioner problems and get an upgrade)!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Gloucester, Massachusetts
Reviewed 25 August 2012

There is nothing negative at all to say about Whitney's Inn in Jackson, NH. I had an amazing time! When my partner and I arrived, we were offered a free upgrade and got to pick which available room we wanted. The first had a great view of a field so we went with that, and we were very glad that we did since we saw horses in the field throughout each day that we stayed. The inn offers cookies and refreshments (delicious cookies) daily and a country breakfast in their adjoining dining room. The breakfast was fantastic! If you visit, definitely get the package that includes it. There's a pond in walking distance, and you can use kayaks or grill. It's a private pond so only those staying at the inn will be able to use it. The room was fabulous. I don't think I've ever seen a bed as big as the one we had! I loved the moose themed decor too. The only quibble was that the bathroom was small. If you need a lot of room to get ready then you might want to ask about a room with a slightly larger bathroom; it was fine for us though, and the shower was great. I can't wait to return (hopefully in the fall!), and I have to say this was the nicest hotel that I have ever stayed in- pure perfection!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank quiet_wave
Somersworth, New Hampshire
Reviewed 21 August 2012

Love the Jackson, NH area and we keep going back each year. The Inn has friendly service and a great restaurant/pub, the Shovel Handle Pub. The room was very spacious but the bed was only mediocre. The grounds are pretty as there are beautiful roaming horses, there's a refreshing heated pool, and a cozy fire pit to enjoy as well as gaze at the stars at night. The Jackson village has great pubs to go to and this past weekend we enjoyed a small crafts fair in town! This location would be ideal for people who want to enjoy every season of the year as they have good outdoor activties at the Inn as well as being right next door to Black Mountain ski mountain which is great for young families.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jackson
2.8 km away
24.1 km away
Omni Mount Washington Resort
Omni Mount Washington Resort
#1 of 2 in Bretton Woods

Been to Whitney's Inn? Share your experiences!