“Chinese-American restaurant”

Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Delivery
Dining options: Delivery
Reviewed 10 August 2017

Average food catering to the average traveler; not very authentic.Portions are fine and atmosphere is pleasant.

Reviewed 9 August 2017

Well, the business trip was my wife's; I was along to provide conjugal support. The first night her conference included dinner for her, and I waited to go out myself till she might be back. As the clock ticked past nine, I figured I should wait no longer--and was dismayed to discover that, by 9 pm, week-night restaurants in little Hanover stop taking customers. The Orient, however, was still open, and ready to accommodate me. I give it high marks just for that.

The menu offers the full range of dishes one customarily finds in Chinese restaurants in the US. Intriguingly, it also has a list of what it calls "authentic dishes" (which can only be read to mean that the rest of the menu is, at least for Chinese tastes, inauthentic and dumbed down for unsophisticated American palates). So I picked one of the "authentic" offerings, 孜 然 羊 肉 "Sliced lamb with Cumin". How have I not found such a delicious choice on menus elsewhere in the US? I was thrilled. My wife, finding me there when her work session had ended, tasted it and--though she had already had dinner--ended up savoring a third of my plate.

Prices are affordable, and I did return for lunch later in the week. The lunch menu (even more affordable) did not have anything the owners deem "authentic," and what I picked was conventional, edible, and forgettable. But for the sliced lamb with cumin I'd certainly go back.

Reviewed 28 July 2017

Had dinner at the Orient last night and we thoroughly enjoyed it!

We hadn't eaten here much over the past few years for several reasons, everything from not honoring reservations, to overly spicy food that was supposed to be mild, to additional issues . . . .BUT, we always like to retry a restaurant every few months and so we went last night, just the two of us.

And we had a very good and pleasant meal!

Our food, chicken with eggplant and pork egg foo young, were very tasty and nicely presented. And the thing that I really, really liked last night was that our Chinese server was not just efficient and friendly, but was probably the most interactive Chinese server that we've had in years. He was friendly, chatted fully with us and just came across as a really nice guy!

Usually we find that many Chinese servers are somewhat too quiet and too subdued. No, we're not looking to make more friends (we have plenty already although more are always nice), but rather, we're looking for positive interactions with the server. It's part of the whole restaurant ambiance thing.

Chatting with your servers usually leads to interesting facts about the restaurant, better knowledge about the food and how it's prepared, etc. So last night, was very positive at that level.

What did surprise us though was how empty the restaurant was on a night that the town was hopping with many people in town for the farmers' market and the Hop's music on the green.

Perhaps the owners need to take a good hard look at the menu and do some innovations and add some other kinds of dishes? We recently ate at a different Chinese restaurant in another state and their menu include "authentic" Chinese dishes that supposedly are actually served in China. We found those choices interesting and our dinners from that place were memorable.

In summary, we're glad we went back to the Orient and we'll start to frequent it more often. Hopefully we'll get that outgoing server again!

Reviewed 19 September 2016

Unfortunately, the Orient in Hanover has a corner on the Chinese food niche here. Although it's never been outstanding, the meal we had tonight was essentially inedible. We ordered very basic, staple, items and, except for the fried dumplings (which ended up steamed), we ended up throwing everything else away. The sauces were wrong, there was very little meat in the dishes and the food was just plain bad.

Try the Nepalese place, Base Camp, across the hall, the food is much better!

2  Thank cbsmba
Reviewed 31 August 2016

Crab rangoons are very greasy. Triple delight was not bad. Avocado salad was not tasty, just lots of lettuce. Overall, it was not bad.

1  Thank A R