Windjammer By The Sea
  • Beachfront
Great 4.5/5
Very Good 4/5
Average 3/5
All reviewshomemade sconesacross the streetrocking chairsthird floornext morningrickanneoceanmotelbalconiesdeck
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 30 July 2010

I searched all of the reviews I could find on all of these sights and Windjammer sounded like a great place (a couple of reviews notwithstanding). We literally looked (from St Louis) at probably a hundred places, but something seemed right about Windjammer. We had one day to spend on the ocean and we wanted to get it right.

So we took a chance and booked.

We were thrilled! Rick met us as we parked and he was terrific. He took our bags to the room, got us some ice, helped us to get online--the service was great.

The building was in excellent shape--but still had character. I'm not sure how old it is (100 years?) but it's been well taken care of. As I sat on our balcony (second floor, ocean front) I looked around me and was glad we didn't choose the newer, modern places that were nearby. It felt like we had gotten it right.

The ocean is just across the street. Windjammer is at the north end of Hampton Beach and that was great with us--it wasn't crazy crowded where we were. But a quick walk would have had us in the busiest section. I personally liked our section--a little rocky area to our left, smooth sand as far as the eye could see on the right.

A great bar just around the corner with good food (North Beach Bar and Grill), Beach Plum ice cream half a mile north--it was a great location for us.

I slept like a rock. Got up at 5am to see the low tide, went right back to sleep. Beds were really comfortable. I had just injured my back and didn't want a bed that was too soft, it was perfect. The little air conditioner gave us the perfect amount of relief from the warm afternoon. Private bath. The room was compact, but we weren't there to hang out in the room. The balcony was great.

A very friendly, CLEAN, family feel.

We will definitely be back. It was perfect.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank wyliejg
Reviewed 6 September 2009

The Windjammer has a good location clse to all the action on Hampton Beach. If you are looking for generic "Best Western" style of accomodations , prepare to be dissapointed . The rooms are clean , comfortable and all have a unique style . There are little knick-nacks everywhere and it reminded me of some guest houses that I have visited in England . The host Ann, was friendly and extremely welcoming and I can understand why people come back here year after year . The rates are very fair and there is everything you need to enjoy a pleasant stay .

Some of the rooms are very small and have shared bathrooms so you may want to check on your room first . The ones on the first floor have lovely ocean views with large private decks .

Bottom line- not fancy but an old fashioned beach spot that has a considerable amount of charm.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 May 2009

We love to take an early spring vacation by the sea whenever we can, the beaches are practically deserted even on the nicest of days, traffic is low, etc.,the price we usually pay though, are places that are understaffed,rooms not ready,no place to eat,that sort of thing. Imagine our surprise to find the Windjammer! Our charming Irish hostess Ann gave us an absolutely charming room with wonderful views of the ocean, we had a 'fridge and small stove, an outdoor grill that we made good use of,and still she brought us fresh, hot scones in the morning! She knows all the places to eat and sights to see, there's a lovely big pool for those not brave enough for the ocean,and I haven't stayed at a friendlier,homier place in New England! One visit will tell you why the people who go there go back again and again!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank oceanborn
Reviewed 30 September 2007

The owners of The Windjammer are trying hard to make your stay there enjoyable. Ann gave us incredible personal service like delivering ice to our room as well as warm fresh scones in the morning.

The facility is an older building set up with ocean front rooms, 2nd and 3rd floor views being the best. We had 3 rooms on the second floor, each with their own balcony deck. The furnishings are homey and clean but some were dated and should be replaced. The bath was adequate but small in our room and the door didn't latch. Everywhere you see knick knacks, pictures, clocks etc. to add to that home style. Our room also had a refrigerator and coffee maker as well as wi-fi. If new and shiny is important to you this is not the place for you.

The views, the service, the home style and the proximity to the beach are the strong points of this facility. We paid $125/night for rooms in late September - I booked the rooms on a recommendation so I'm not really sure if the price is attractive.

• Stayed: September 2007
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 3 September 2007

My husband and I stayed at this motel during Labor Day weekend for one night. We spoke with the owner to book this so called "ocean-front" room. We arrive later in the evening and the owner seems very pleseant until we walk to our room. She takes us literally to the basement of this hotel and says pardon this is the last room left. THIS WAS NOT A ROOM BUT A BASEMENT WITH NO WINDOWS; GROSS SMELLING; CEMENT FLOORING WITH STAINED RUGS TRYING TO COVER IT AND SPIDER WEBS EVERYWHERE! THE BED WAS BEYOND GROSS AS WELL. WE PULL BACK THE SHEETS AND THERE WAS HAIR! This was not an acceptable option for anyone to stay in and we were mislead that she actually had a room available. WORST EXPERIENCE EVER!

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank SmoothOperations
Rick P, Manager at Windjammer By The Sea, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2013

This review doesn't make any sense for several reasons. First we don't rent rooms for one night during Labor Day Weekend. It sounds fishy to me that someone would check into a room with no windows in a basement...we don't have any rooms like that. All of our rooms have windows, floors, and smell great. I think this review is bogus...but just to clear the air if you come to a motel and they give you a room like the one described in this review, go back to the office and request your money back. I guarantee all my rooms to be clean and comfortable.