“Poor this time”
Review of george and dragon

george and dragon
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Whitley
Price range: USD 5 - USD 18
Reviewed 6 April 2018

We have previously written good reviews about the George & Dragon so even more disappointed with our recent visit. Arrived early evening and not many staff but the bar was coping well. Placed our food order and the food was served within reasonable time. Unfortunately the chicken masala was not good. Served with the naan bread draped over the rice and into the bowl of curry which made it sad and wet - it was difficult to pull apart. The curry sauce was very thin and tasteless. We did report this to the waiter who apologised and took it away. My wife was asked if she wanted something else but as I had almost finished my meal decided not to eat alone. The cost of the meal was deducted from our bill but after a good day out my wife was left very disappointed. We got the impression that the kitchen was under pressure especially when the smoke alarms triggered as we were leaving.

Peter B, Owner at george and dragon, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2018

Hi Greecophile
We're sorry you didn't enjoy your visit with us this time. We have addressed the issues you have raised such as the positioning of the naan bread on the plate and we have adjusted the recipe for the curry sauce.
Our fire alarm system is very sensitive in the restaurant area & when our sizzling platters are served it tends to go off.

Hope you will give us another chance
Pete, Daz & The G&D Team

Reviewed 2 April 2018

Could not fault the food, service or prices. Local to us and have always been very pleased with the food. Very pleasant and welcoming staff.

Peter B, Owner at george and dragon, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2018

Hi Coca-nut-ant
Hope to see you again soon
Pete, Daz & the G&D team x

Reviewed 3 March 2018

I visited today with my husband, we ordered our meals as we arrived and stupidly paid at the bar before sitting down and getting our meal (something my husband likes to do is pay first so we can leave after). Big mistake on this occasion and lesson learnt!!!!!
My garlic mushrooms were absolutely saturated in old cooking oil. I ordered mine without salad and I am so glad I did because my husbands salad was old and manky. I suggested we leave but my husband wanted to give them a chance and we awaited our main meal. It was our first visit and although I have a medical condition that can be aggravated by excess oil I agreed.
Sadly it was no better and we left the majority of it but ate as much as possible as we were starving (it is unlike him to leave his meal he eats his and then helps me finish off) we both informed the bar girl at our disappointment when she asked how it was. The girl disappeared for ten minutes whilst we finished our drinks after saying she would go get the cook. We decided that we wouldn't be returning so without seeing anyone we left knowing we had totally wasted £27 of food. It was obvious nobody was coming back to us and we were ignored. We stood up and left straight trough the door.

Apparently, according to my husbands review about how disappointed we were, as we left we shouted abuse in front of children, HOWEVER THIS IS A TRULY UNJUSTIFIED AND SLANDEROUS ACCUSATION made towards us for complaining about our food. There was a man and women (he was wearing a Drax top) and I believe they may have left before us and nobody else in the pub who we saw (we were sat behind a wall and walked straight out with no toilet stop or anything.
As we left my husband mentioned there was nobody at the bar to speak too anyway. No abuse was shouted and there was no children present where we were sitting. In fact there was nobody at the bar that we saw and we received no apology. I have photos of the food we received and I was going to leave it but I am disappointed the manager would go to such lengths to cover up their inedible food by saying we caused offence to anyone. Shame on you! My advice would be to steer clear of this place. We eat out all around Selby town and have never had this problem. We fancied a change today after looking up this place and it was a waste of money.
My advice is change the oil in your fryer and treat your customers with respect.

1  Thank Claire M
Peter B, Owner at george and dragon, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2018

Hi Claire
As i have posted to your review on Facebook. please see the below
Hi Claire
Please attached our photo’s of your plates which were brought in after you left. Along with a copy of the CCTV with faces blurred out which shows a family sat near yourselves as your leave.
When your starter of battered mushrooms was cleared, there was no comment made about your disappointment with the meal so far which would have been the time to mention it. Also no mushrooms were left on either plate.
The photo of your meals shows the bulk of the meals had been eaten (a portion of scampi is 10 & there is no sign of a burger left) which as I mentioned on your husband’s review. Makes it very difficult to do anything about if we can’t see the issue in which it is caused. I’ve also included the time in which the photo was taken.
As for the abuse, my team have reported that, this is what was heard. I will never be able to prove or disprove this. However if it is true then as I state on your other review, I will not accept that behaviour in a family friendly pub.
Many Thanks
Peter Brown

Reviewed 14 February 2018

We called in on way past couple of Sundays back, on long drive. They serve food 5-7 so we just got in time. Didn't expect it to be fabulous, at 2 for £10, but the menu declared homemade on many dishes, so I had lasagne and hubby had Gammon. And it was very very good, with actual homemade chips and onion rings. Impressed, so we're looking forward to a return visit.

1  Thank jackieskelton
Peter B, Owner at george and dragon, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2018

Hi Jackieskelton
We're glad you enjoyed your visit with us as we aim to please.
The team work very hard to create such homemade meals & it's great when it's appreciated.
Hope to see you again soon
Pete, Daz & The G&D Team

Reviewed 29 January 2018

Asked for a different table with more seating room and the bar / reception lady was borderline rude but after huffing and puffing, allocated another table.
The food was very mediocre, vegetables were barely warm, the roast potatoes were chewy. The roast beef was OK but some of the outside (I like beef well done) was like leather..

Peter B, Owner at george and dragon, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2018

Hi Ballonmans2009
Without making a booking we can not guarantee tables. We are a very busy restaurant of which gets to full capacity very quickly.
As I mentioned to you on other review websites. Our front of house team did complete a table check for you of which you replied it was lovely. Unfortunately if you do not bring these issues up at the time, there is very little we can do to correct it.

Many Thanks