“A Great Restaurant, Sadly Closed, At Least For Now”
Review of Santa Fe Hotel

Santa Fe Hotel
Ranked #168 of 1,017 Restaurants in Reno
Price range: USD 10 - USD 15
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 6 July 2018

Word is that Santa Fe Hotel was sold following the death of the long time owner. In late 2017, newspaper reports said the new owner intended to carry on the tradition, but to remodel the kitchen, closing for a few months. When I sent a friend there this spring they were still closed.

I enjoyed at least a half dozen meals here when I was in Reno, often bringing friends who also enjoyed it. Here's hoping the new owner gets it going again.

Reviewed 30 April 2018 via mobile

Flew to Wichita Kansas to drive a friend back to Huntington Beach. So we decided to take a 4 day road trip home and pic hotels along the way. Long exhausting experience but each Hotel had they're pros and cons.

Reviewed 11 July 2017

We thoroughly enjoyed our meal here at the Santa Fe Hotel. Highly recommend for anyone liking Basque Food. Our last visit was just terrific, shared the table with another couple who became good friends! Hope we see them again soon! Just an exemplary experience. Highly recommended

Reviewed 11 July 2017

You walk right into the bar of this charming old Basque hotel around 5:00 or 5:30 and order a drink while you wait to be called for dinner at 6:00. I ordered a Picon which is a Basque American libation common to Basque restaurants in the west. My maternal grandparents ran the Pyrenees Hotel in Merced CA until its closure around 1970 and my uncle's Picon punch was famous. At 6:00 you enter the restaurant which has long tables and you sit with friends or alone, as the case may be, next to people you don't know. The meal starts with soup then salad, then pinto beans then oxtails or another dish followed by the main entree, in my case lamb chops. A delicious meal reminiscent of what I grew up with. An inexpensive table wine accompanies the meal. Ice cream is served for dessert. I sat next to two IT fellows from out of state and had a great conversation.

Reviewed 22 April 2017 via mobile

4 of us, 2 couples ate at the Santa Fe Hotel basque restaurant and very much enjoyed the meal, service and lack of ambience.
Only one waitress was covering the bar and the restaurant, but she rocked, not missing a beat on either. Dinner consisted of a bean soup and vinaigrette salad. With the meal you also got beans, French fries, and bread. Sides included spaghetti with meat sauce or oxtail. You then got to order either a rib eye, pork cutlets or lamb. Desert was cheese, or ice cream. Wine was included with the meal. Way too much food, but very good.
The place is loud and everyone sits at long family style tables, but it wasn't too busy so we were the only ones at our table and managed to carry on some level of conversation.

If you want a basque meal, try the Santa Fe.

Been to Santa Fe Hotel? Share your experiences!