“Great servers, bad food, bad managment, stupid kiosks.”
Review of Outback Steakhouse

Outback Steakhouse
Ranked #111 of 1,011 Restaurants in Reno
Price range: USD 31 - USD 40
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 14 August 2017

My wife and I have been a fan of this Outback for several years but for the past several months the quality of the food, and in particular the steaks, has gone downhill. Now about one out of three Victoria's Filets which I order are tough and contain a lot of connective tissue. A true Filet Mignon is not tough and does not have such connective tissue. The fans of the cut know it is one of, if not the most, tender cut of all. They used to be very good at the Outback, and reasonably priced, but no more. In addition, in this time frame, the staffing has been reduced and many people are doing double and triple duty. The hostess is also a busser, the bartenders are bussers and table waiters, the regular table servers now have several tables, and during busy times too many tables. You can tell these people are stressed but they nevertheless are pleasant and do a great job of trying to care for their customers, albeit sometimes with considerable delays. During our visit last week we found out that we can no longer walk into the bar and seat ourselves, despite there being many open seats and nobody waiting for the bar. When we inquired, the hostess told us the restaurant had new owners and it was their policy, a bad one in my view. When I go out to eat I like to get an open seat at the bar, not stand around for 15 minutes or so on my bad knee, waiting for the hostess to finish bussing so we can be seated. Also, when we finally did get a table they now have those annoying Z**** tablet kiosks (TripAdvisor won't let me mention the name). They are a piece of work, charging for stuff you didn't know you had to pay for and in my view cheating customers out of discounts. I won't go into detail but you should read the Internet and TripAdvisor reviews before you touch one. And, when you server gives you the new owner's sales pitch about how 80% of people like to use them for checkout, the 80% part is only partially true. Many people don't like them and don't want to use them. Many others can't get the server's attention to check out (they are too busy with all of their tables) but when the server finally comes over it is the server doing the checkout on the machine for the customer. The servers are required to promote the kiosks and must have a certain percentage of their tables that use them or the servers will suffer bad reviews. We quit going to Red Robin because we dislike those machines and the sales pitches so much, particularly when we want to have the server make sure the bill is correct, with the proper discounts (including those that we qualify for and may not know about), and check us out. I understand the machines will only take a discount if you specifically ask for it and after all, they machine doesn't know if you look like you could be an AARP member or and entitled to that or some other discount.

OutbackGuestServices, Manager at Outback Steakhouse, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2017

We feel terrible about your experience. We'd like to review this further if you could please take a moment to send me an email at news@outback.com with the subject "TripAdvisor - Reno, NV". We can then correspond directly over email.

Madeline
Outback Steakhouse

Reviewed 18 June 2017 via mobile

Me and my 15 year-old son. Stakes were excellent, cooked and seasoned to perfection. Service was fast and extremely friendly. Outback is a fantastic alternative to smoke filled casino restaurants.

Reviewed 23 May 2017

Good meal, predictable and consistent quality. Good value for the price.
I have noticed over time that Outback is losing some of its consistency over time. It used to be our go to steak house but is being replaced by Texas Roadhouse.

Reviewed 11 May 2017

The Outback Steakhouse is a tad hidden in a strip shopping area on South Virginia but can be found. Upon arrival, I noticed that the place was a bit untidy. The four of us sat at a table for our meal. That is when my fears were put aside. Our waiter was exceptional both friendly and helpful ( a tad entertaining as well). Our food orders were typical Outback and all of us were very satisfied. Would return to this Outback if in Reno again.

Reviewed 14 April 2017

Visited in April 2017 on business. If you have been in one Outback, it seems that you have been in all of them. Nothing particularly special about this one.

Pros: Service was excellent.
Cons: The bar area (where I dined) has a bad musty/moldy smell. This is common of the cleaning of the bar drains isn't done often or well enough. Very off putting for someone trying to enjoy a meal.

Been to Outback Steakhouse? Share your experiences!