All reviewstruckee riverbocce ballmarriott propertieslobby barshower glassball areasmells brand newbathroom productsmodern designstarted staying hereriver viewan elite memberfour star hotelvalet parking is freecasino scenewalking distance to everythingfabulous hotel
Reviewed 10 June 2017

I stayed her over Memorial Day weekend and checked in late at night. I had two children with me and I requested a room with two beds. I was told none were available. I was not offered any extra bedding. The front desk agent was unsympathetic, callus and indignant. She was poorly trained and was obviously ill-equipped to deal with customer concerns. I slept in the floor without any blankets. For $275. Coffee machine in rooms is terrible. Menu at "The Shore Room" restaurant had FOUR items for lunch. No breakfast after 11 am. Terrible food options. Poor service, poor room amenities, poor food selection. Will never return.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank Nickparks
Reviewed 7 June 2017

We attended the Revel wine, spirits and beer event at this location. It was a fabulous event. Classy and well represented. Even owners if some of the wineries were there. Napa, Sonoma, Anderson Valley plus varietals from Europe.

Dinner was excellent! The heritage tomato salad with fresh mozzarella was memorable for sure. I had a hamburger that was very good! One in our party had ravioli that was fabulous.

Located on the river this restaurant is one of few in Reno where you may dine riverside.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 June 2017

This new hotel is right next to the river and walking distance to everything in the downtown casino area. The hotel is new and in very good shape. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The rooms was spacious and the bed was comfortable. However, I personally did not like that everything was gray. I know it is the new fashionable color, but it isn't for me. The other problem was the executive lounge. It is in a small, windowless room on the first floor with minimal drinks and snacks. I never saw an attendant and any staff member who walked through did not acknowledge my presence. There is plenty of free parking and it is a short drive to the airport.

Room Tip: There are views in either direction.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 June 2017

So as you probably know, the Renaissance is a pretty new hotel, opened in 2016, and was previously the Siena Hotel Spa Casino. That fact, plus good experiences at other Renaissance hotels (particularly the St. Pancras Renaissance in London) raised the expectations. But like its London sister, this was to be another Renaissance whose fancy, well designed lobby and eating areas would belie the drab and boring rooms. Perhaps Marriott have confused the word ‘renaissance’ with another French word: ‘facade’.

We got to the hotel late after a mix-up with the free airport shuttle which saw it arrive late and only after prompting by phone. So tip 1 - double-check they know when you land and confirm they are picking you up.

No matter, the driver was a very friendly guy who said he would upgrade our room and give us a nice view and offered us a round of drinks - that's above and beyond. We accepted the former but declined the latter as it was already after midnight and we had an early start.

We stepped into the hotel’s reception area and yes, very nice indeed. We asked about the upgrade and were told yes, we can be upgraded to a suite - fantastic!

However, the excitement was short-lived when we got to the room. The ‘suite’ part of the room wasn’t so sweet at all - just a drab looking sofa and table in a poorly lit part of the room (see photos). And the view? That was of a little service area hemmed in by a wall.

Indeed, the room, while large, was a place where design felt like an afterthought. Sparsely furnished in dull colors with poor lighting throughout, a weird open wardrobe whose rail was only high enough above the base below to hang t-shirts and not anything longer (a problem given we had clothes for a wedding we wanted to hang), a TV mounted on a wall not in the lounge part of the ‘suite, nor roughly in front of the bed as is normally the case, but on the wall to the left of the bed, which would have required craning our necks to the left to view. The bathroom too was very ordinary, with no toiletries provided, a leak under the sink and an open shower whose short curtain couldn’t stop water spreading on to the floor.

Luckily, we weren’t hanging around in the morning and just had time to grab a very average breakfast. No buffet offered which seemed odd and when the bill came, some very strange charges. We had one tea and one coffee, both reasonably priced at $3 each. But on the bill was also another $3 each for the milk we had requested with our drinks. $3 for milk? What are they thinking? We mentioned to our waiter who promptly removed.

In fairness, the staff were very friendly and helpful throughout and the receptionist kindly offered Marriott points or to remove the breakfast charge entirely when I pointed out the deficiencies with the room.

It’s strange, it’s normally service that provides teething problems with a new hotel where staff struggle to match the promise of the building, but the Renaissance Reno seems to have an opposite problem. Unfortunately for them, that is a problem that cannot be improved with time and practise.

Room Tip: Ask what view you'll be getting - it might be of nothing
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ohnobonobo
Reviewed 2 June 2017 via mobile

This hotel was a great new remodel of the former Sienna. It is non gaming and is a great location right on the river. Awesome views and easy walk to all downtown attractions. Very hip and modern which is a great new choice for business or pleasure. Nice bar and restaurant on site with a huge new game style bar with bocce attached however that may only be open on weekends as it was closed during my stay. Well done.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business