“big phan of pho, not overly impressed with this place”
Review of Viet Pho Vietnamese Cuisine - CLOSED

Viet Pho Vietnamese Cuisine
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Moved here from PDX, and vietnamese has hit in a big way there, so was enthused to find good vietnamese in my new home of Reno. Meh. It's a hole in the wall in a mall which is okay, but the menu is lacking. I judge any vietnamese place on their bahn mi - for the uninitiated is a delicious sandwich of meat and pickled veggies and what can only be described as crack mayo. I have tried theirs twice and have been unimpressed. Most worth mentioning for me is the LONG WAIT. I know I am waiting for my meal to be made fresh, don't get me wrong, but if there are other peeps in the joint you'll be waiting a LONG time because it's a tiny kitchen with one guy cooking as far as I can tell. Husband gets the vermicelli noodles which are pretty good. Needless to say I'm still on the lookout for my go-to pho joint.

Reviewed 3 September 2012

We were here 2 years ago and the cashier at the counter was a 10 year old girl. We were a tiny bit surprised, but she did her job very well. Here we are, back again 2 years later, we walk in and go up to the counter. A man took our order and then we asked him, did a 10 year old girl used to work here a couple of years ago? Out she comes from the back. He says she is now 12 and today is her day to work. Must be a family run business, and they do it very well. The food was very good 2 years ago and it's still very good now (see photos). We ordered 2 vegetarian spring rolls and Vegetables in Curry. The curry was a bit bland for my taste, but I livened it up with the great hot sauce on the table and it was delicious. I liked the fact that there signs touted the food's cooked fresh after you order and uses no MSG. Highly recommend this hidden gem. There seemed to be many locals at the restaurant, so that's an indication it's good.

Reviewed 12 November 2011

Not one of the best but good enough to satisfy your Asian craving.

Reviewed 2 November 2008

I had fairly low expectations of this location, especially since it shares a restaurant space with Port of Subs. I was hungry and had a coupon so I thought it could not be that bad. When you walk up to the counter, the first thing that gives you a glimmer of hope is the massive menu above the counter. I ordered my usual pho of beef ball and rare steak from the fast talking gentleman behind the counter. My girlfriend ordered the rice vermicelli with flame-broiled pork with eggroll. The first sign that something was amiss was the long time it was taking to get my pho. When it showed up it looked like there was just broth in it with a few green onions on top. I stirred it a bit and was woefully underwhelmed by the small bits of not rare steak and the 4 beef ball. Even the amount of rice noodles was lacking. The broth was a bit salty with not much flavor complexity or depth. The broth needed more bones and a few more hours of simmering. Te plate of bean sprouts, hot peppers & basil had very little on it as well. There just was not much in the $8 bowl to eat. I finished the pho more because I was hungry rather than enjoying a savory bowl of pho. My girlfriend's bowl showed up almost 7 minutes after mine. The bits of pork were gray and flavorless. The eggrolls, well that was another flavorless disappointment. If I did not have the coupon the bill would have been close to $22 with only tea and water for a beverage, not including the $0.50 debit card usage fee and the mandatory 15-20% tip. I am disappointed with this restaurant and do not recommend it to anyone. There is a much better restaurant to quench your Vietnamese hankering to the east on Plumb Lane.

3  Thank SteveHung