“Home away from home”

Ranked #53 of 262 Hotels in Las Vegas
Chicago, Illinois, United States
“Home away from home”
Reviewed 26 May 2012

After 30 + years of traveling to Las Vegas, our beloved Stardust was closing. Our experiences there were so good, we wanted to try another Boyd property. We chose the Orleans, and have never been sorry. The rooms are spacious, the beds very comfortable. And the restaurants..what can we say..the food is delicious, and reasonably priced. From the very casual Courtyard Cafe, to the fine dining in Canal Street, the menus have selections to please everyone. The staff is very courteous, also. The B Connected Club is wonderful. Where else can you get money back for playing slots? And in addition to playing our favorite games, this time around we took advantage of the state of the art Fitness Center. All in all, you have everything you need at this location...you never have to leave, and we didn't. The only thing I could say is missing is perhaps a shuttle bus to and from the airport. But all in all, we can't wait for our next trip to our " Home away from home"

3 Thank Sandy B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,345)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
RIO RANCHO
Reviewed 26 May 2012

This is proof of that old saying "you get what you pay for". The rooms are roomy and cheap $34.00 a night. Old thin towels, out dated TV's, $13.00 a day extra if you want internet in your room. The worse thing is, the entire hotel, casino, the non-smoking room and all of the restaurants reek of cigarette smoke. The buffet is over priced for the quality and selection of food offered. Lucky for us, they lost some money they could have probably made off of us because we could not play blackjack there. They only had a few tables open, and the dealers were unprofessional, and rude. We've been traveling to Vegas for over thirty years and have stayed and played at most locations on the strip this was the worse I've ever seen anywhere. We've been staying here the last five years, but this trip was like a different hotel. To their credit, they do have a selection of food venues, coffee in the rooms, a free shuttle to the strip (not the airport), and a liquor store where the employee told us "yes, we have good beer prices, because management wants you to drink"

8 Thank mandmantley
Sarah S, Boyd Gaming Corporate Digital Marketing Manager at The Orleans Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, 29 May 2012
Please accept our heartfelt apologies for your disappointing stay at The Orleans. It concerns us whenever we have a negative guest experience but even more so when a loyal customer has such a bad stay that they don't wish to return. We are in the process of changing out our TV's to flat screens and upgrading our WiFi services. We will share your comments with all the departments mentioned so that we can correct the issues mentioned. Please feel free to contact the Hotel Director to discuss your issues further, we want to make this right with you and keep your patronage. Again, our apologies for your bad stay. We look forward to hearing from you.
Saint George
Reviewed 26 May 2012

I love the Orleans. The rooms are clean and are a good size, the beds are very comfortable. The Orleans has many places to eat inside plus if you bring the kids there are movie theaters and a bowling alley for them. It is not far from the strip and they have a shuttle bus to ride. There are also a variety of gambling games to play.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Dawn H
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 26 May 2012

I'm a regular Las Vegas traveler- not for fun or anything exciting, but I travel there about twice a month for work. It just so happens that my office is pretty close to the Orleans, so for years, I would stay there for easy access to my office and a reliably clean place to stay.

Not any more though.

The last few times I've stayed at the Orleans, it has just been gross. Smoke everywhere (the Orleans is a favorite of locals who spend hours on end chain smoking while playing slots) that's so bad it permeates even the rooms. I probably sound like a brat here, but I'm very sensitive to smoke, so I make certain to always book a non smoking room when I'm anywhere, but particularly a place like Vegas. I'm not inflexible either-- I'll happily take a double room over a king-- or a lower floor or whatever-- just so the room will be non smoking. The last two times I stayed at the Orleans, the front desk agent told me that my reservation didn't guarantee a smoke free room and that they were sold out, so a smoking room was all I could get. The smoking floors at this place as literally yellowed from all the smoke-- the wall paper, the furniture, the carpet. So, you can imagine how great the room was.

I get it: this is Vegas, people are going to smoke in casinos and in their hotel rooms. The thing about it is that virtually every other hotel in town has ways to mitigate the smoke that they do quite well- whether it's solid filtration systems, a prompt and thorough cleaning staff, or whatever else. The only place I have ever stayed that was as filthy from smoke as the Orleans was the Plaza downtown before they renovated it.

This review isn't to completely knock the Orleans- their valet is pretty prompt, front desk staff friendly, etc. Oh, the movie theater on site is a nice touch, too. For me though, I can't risk a horrific, 2 day long allergy attack because the front desk can't honor a request for a non smoking room-- so, no more Orleans for me.

Oh, I did one time try the spa at Orleans, getting a pedicure that ran me something like $100. The woman was incredibly rude, hurt me, and was done in about 30 minutes. Contrast that to the pedicure I got at the Aria with a Groupon for $40

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
6 Thank ThisPlceHsEverything
Your recent post has captured our full attention; our sincere apologies for the problems you have encountered getting a smoke free hotel room. It is very sad to hear that we will lose a loyal Orleans customer like yourself. Hotel management would be happy to discuss your issues further please feel free to call and ask for the Hotel Director. Again, our apologies.
san bernardino, ca
Reviewed 24 May 2012

My wife and i appreciate the rewards program. It has been very generous. The hotel is clean and the staff is very nice. We have stayed several times and will continue to stay at the orleans. I only wish there was a door between the toilet area and the bathroom sink area. You may want a car because the hotel is off the strip, but it is not inconvenient. They also have shuttles to the strip.

5 Thank bobteriw
Your review is very much appreciated and so are your return visits! We hope you and your wife will continue to feel at home at The Orleans.