“Bad Customer Service”

Ranked #89 of 262 Hotels in Las Vegas
Los Angeles, California
“Bad Customer Service”
Reviewed 9 April 2012

(I emailed the Golden Nugget the following letter on 4/5/12. They have not responded.)

I'd like to provide some feedback on our recent stay. We were in room
20104 from 4/1-4/3/12.

1. Got in line a little after 12 (noon) to check in. Had to stand in
line for a VERY LONG time. There were only 4 guests in front of me,
but there was only 1 check in desk available, and the process was VERY
slow. I feel sorry for the long snake of people who soon formed a line
behind me. As they could, the check out desk helped people check in.

2. Was finally helped by a very non-friendly associate (Andrea), who
acted like she was doing us a personal favor by checking us in. I had
2 rooms reserved, and when I asked if she could put us on the same
floor, she actually sighed, and muttered "Sure." Rooms on the same
floor were unavailable, which was fine, but the attitude was not. She
did give me one coupon book to compesate for the wait....after I asked.

3. On 4/1, called several times to 2 different department keys on your
phone to ask simple questions; pool hours, buffet prices, but
recordings kept coming on telling me to hold. I gave up after wasting
a lot of time on hold.

4. We were to meet family for dinner on 4/1, and were in a hurry to
get ready. The bathtub was completely plugged up. Rather than call
housekeeping and be put on hold indefinitely (see above) I used my
tweezers and a plastic bag over my hand to take out a hair ball about
the size of a tennis ball, which cleared the drain. I threw up, and
had to throw away my tweezers.

5. On 4/2, at around 1:30 AM, an alarm went off in our room telling us
to evacuate the building immediately. We were on the 20th floor. We
threw shoes on and went down the nearest stairs, along with a lot of
other worried people. We no longer heard the alarms about halfway
down. As soon as we got outside, we were told that it was okay to go
back to our rooms. A couple of kids had pulled the fire alarms and had
been caught.

While we were relieved that it was a false alarm, we were very
upset that we were not notified of this as we descended 20 flights of
stairs. Why weren't staff members positioned at stairway entrances on
different floors telling us that it was okay to go back in?!!!! We
could have had the option of entering and taking the elevators back up
right then! AT THE VERY LEAST, there wouldn't have been all these
people VISIBLY SHAKEN AND WORRIED (INCLUDING US) trying to make it as
FAST AS POSSIBLE all the way outside thinking that there was a FIRE,
BOMB, or God knows what else going on!! People were CRYING. An elderly
lady a few people in front of us was holding everyone up as she could
barely walk, and had to be helped down the stairs! We felt bad for
her, but at the same time, had in mind that we had to EVACUATE
IMMEDIATELY.

After calmly being told about the false alarm by staff, we made our
way in the COLD, around the side of the building, through the entrance
and had to wait in a very long line to get an elevator back up.

6. We finally went back to sleep, and got up very late. Half of our
day was gone. I have back problems, and after our little adventure
down 20 flights of stairs a few hours earlier, had to overmedicate with
ibuprofen to be able to halfway enjoy the day with an aching back and
legs. My husband suffers from rheumatoid arthritis (look it up) and I
can't describe what it did to him.

When I checked out, I did mention the clogged up bathtub to the clerk,
and the fact that I cleared the clog. I even told her that the giant
hairball was on top of the trashcan if this needed verification. She
just jotted down the room number and said "Thanks, I'll let them know."
After that, I did not want to go on about all of the other stuff.

It's clear that customer service and customer satisfaction is NOT top
priority at the Golden Nugget. Good location, and awesome pool, but I
really should have paid more attention to some of the reviews on Yelp
and Tripadvisor before making my reservation.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Cyansea

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,882)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Four stars right on Freemont street, very clean rooms, fantastic pool with aquarium, walk out of the door for the full entertainment of Freemont street

Room Tip: go for updated rooms as the hotel is one of the oldest
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank David L
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 9 April 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed in the Rush Tower on Easter weekend 2012 and were most impressed. The room was very modern and clean. It was nice to escape the smell of stale smoke that permeates every casino (the Rush Tower is non-smoking). We appreciated the huge chaise lounge by the window to look out at the lights on the strip. The toilet is separated by a door from the rest of the bathroom, which makes it more functional for a couple getting ready in the morning. This hotel allows you to check out through menu options that display on the TV. You can even view the detailed charges on your bill. This saves a lot of time that would otherwise be spent waiting in line to check out in the lobby.

We had lunch at The Grille, which is a small diner type of restaurant within the hotel. The food was very good. We had dinner at Grotto, an Italian restaurant, also within the hotel. The food was fantastic and reasonably priced. The service was also quite good. Our only complaints during our stay were a) a fluorescent bulb that kept flickering in the bathroom and b) they charge you $10 for a package of four Keurig coffee maker containers. This is the first place I've stayed in that didn't have complimentary in-room coffee. Luckily, Starbucks is in the casino facing Freemont St. However, despite these "cons" (and the charge for internet) we were pleasantly surprised that you can find such quality in the downtown area. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the Rush Tower to escape the smoke for a while.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
North Battleford, SK
Reviewed 9 April 2012

We have stayed at this hotel 3 times since it opened in Nov 2009 – 2009, 2010 and 2011. We have stayed in the basic rooms twice over Freemont Street and once facing the mountains – mountain facing rooms are quieter. You look on top of Freemont so you do not get any benefit from the screen – just the noise. This hotel did not have to work out any new hotel issues - first class from day one.

CHECK IN – courteous and friendly staff. Our room has always been ready and
Never a problem.

RUSH TOWER – we stay at the rush tower for two reasons – it is newer (they have central air where the other towers have loud walls air conditioners) and it is closer to entry and exits to outside and pool. If you exit the rusk tower from their main lobby you walk approx. 50 feet to the pool, where from the main hotel you have a long and disjointed walk.

ROOMS - All rooms are non-smoking and feature upgraded pillow-top mattresses, feather down comforters, 42" plasma televisions, and contemporary decor. You can purchase their bedding and beds from the hotel – best bed I have ever slept in. The new Rush Tower larger than their other tower rooms. Hallways are H shaped – allowing for fewer rooms down shorter hallways - you hardly run into other guests. Not once did we encounter any rowdy drunk quests in the halls. They are carpeted and so you do not hear other guests. They do not have wheelchair designated rooms – however I have been in their non- accessible rooms and they are so large they were perfect ad well. All rooms have been accessible for me.

POOLS – only sat at the regular pool once – I am not a fan of children so we stay at the Hideout. For $50.00 a day you get a king size day bed / lounger with a small relaxing pool with food and beverage serve. This would cost you over $200 - $500 on the strip!! Outstanding service there. They also have lounger for $25.00 per day or cabanas for $250 as well with LCD TV’s and fridges with lounger outside your door. Wheelchair accessible

RESTAURANTS – On site
-Lillie's Asian Cuisine offers a fusion of traditional Cantonese, Szechwan and Pan-Asian flair, plus the excitement of Teppanyaki tables - amazing food and entertainment.
- Red Sushi offers traditional Japanese cuisine hand-crafted sushi and sashimi
- Rush Lounge – great drinks with fantastic entertainment – do not pass this little place by. It used to be the home of Frankie Moreno who is now THE hottest act in Vegas.

FREEMONT STREET – is right outside your door. As many time as we have been to Vegas we now enjoy staying here rather than staying on the strip. You have access to many restaurants – such as Fitzgerald’s for breakfast for 1.99 and free internet just down the street.

CASINO’S - I find the casino’s downtown are cheaper and tend to pay out better. I am not a huge gambler but I love to play blackjack. So I play at Fitzgerald’s and Binon’s for their $1 or $2 tables. I can play for 4 hours for $20.00 and get free drinks. I personally have a blast.

Room Tip: If you go to bed early - before midnight - choose a rooms away from freemont street
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
San Diego, California
Reviewed 8 April 2012

The kids had Spring break last week. I have to leave town on business for the next 2 months. I tried to put something together that would be fun for one and all. Vegas! Who doesn't love Vegas? (actually, a bunch of my friends don't. They are all boring).
This last Summer we switched up our hotel for our annual trip to Laughlin, NV. We always ended up at the Golden Nugget eating at one of their restaurants. It seemed to be way less "white-trashy" than the other joints that we frequented. We couldn't have been happier with the switch. I decided to test my luck and try the Golden Nugget in Vegas.
First off, I love downtown. It reminds me of the way that old Vegas used to be when we went there as kids on vacation. The Strip is a bit much for me and has way too many people meandering about. People watching is unparalleled on the Strip, but the masses of humanity are bothersome.
We checked in mid-day and the process was super quick and easy. Dude at the front desk was very nice and personable. He had me away from his desk within 2 minutes with room keys. Me and the boys were on our way to the top floor!
The room was muy grande. Lots of space to be had. That is good for us as we tend to sprawl a bit. A good start. TV was large and worked fine.
As I laid in the bed, I figured out why the room had so much space. Double beds! I haven't stayed in a double bed for I don't know how long. This is the only reason that I did not give the property a 5th star. Golden Nugget, enough with small beds. Upgrade to Queens!
Bathroom was very functional. Bathtub. Check. Clean everywhere. Check. No foreign smells or smoke. Check. So far, so good.
We headed down to the pool as it is the boys's favorite thing. We were not disappointed. It was rather crowded even though there were 30 MPH winds whipping through the whole place. It was a bit on the chilly side as well. The kids don't seem to notice the cold. We jumped in and figured that we would give the legendary water-slide a try. Water was warm. Good start. I slid down the water-slide and was immediately shocked at how fast I was going. This was no sissy affair. On the first turn you really picked up a head of steam. Like, butterflies in your stomach speed. It was awesome!
The gag on the water-slide is that you go through the middle of the Shark Tank. On my first run, I didn't even have time to check it out. I was trying to figure out how to slow it down a bit!
Pool was fun.
One of the best attributes of the Golden Nugget is it's location. You can walk out any door of the property and be right in the middle of everything that you need. Fremont Street is super happening and way more low brow than what the Strip has to offer. I am low brow. It is good for me.
My one hot tip is to go out the doors on the Fremont Street side. Directly across the street (diagonally) is Mermaids. Go in and try the following: chocolate covered banana, fried Oreos, and fried Twinkie. All of them are served for 99 cents. The were all unbelievable and a bargain at twice the price! Also, head down to the Golden Gate and get a $2.99 Shrimp cocktail. It used to be 99 cents, but inflation has caught up with it.
Staff was friendly. Room was clean. Parking was free. Location was epic! Pool was great. We will be back.

Room Tip: We had a double room. Literally 2 doubles. Doubles are very small. Be sure that is big enough for...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family