“Pleasantly Suprised”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Davenport, IA
“Pleasantly Suprised”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

Went out to Vegas for a few days in March. As a Rewards Member I was offered several nights of comp'd room. We took it. First, I would say that because it was a comp'd room, it wasn't likely the pick of the litter. It was a Ghost Busters themed room. No big deal. Its comp'd. As for the room details itself, it was very clean and everything worked perfectly. The layout was somewhat difficult. But again, it was comp'd. The HDTV was huge and had a ton of free channels.

The location of Planet Hollywood is perfect. Easy walk to Caesar's, MGM, etc. We ate at the Strip House and the Tequilla Bar/ Restaurant on the gaming floor. Both very good--the later was excellent.

But here is something that really made an impression on me. We all know how hard it is for the people of Las Vegas.. with the real estate, cutbacks on corporate travel, etc. But every single person associated with this property was very kind and pleasant. Not the fakey stuff you can spot five seconds into a conversation; but very nice. Whoever does the hiring did a great job.

I would be remiss if I didn't talk about shopping. The mall attached to Planet Hollywood is very good. It has stores for every taste and a sprinkling of decent places to eat.

The pool was open, but a bit on the chilly side so we didn't partake. There were some spring breakers there. Even if it was warmer we likely wouldn't have gone out there. We're not that old, but we prefer our pools to not be filled with barely old enough to drink types, drinking all they can to music I don't care for that's too loud. But if you liked that show about the Hard Rock pool and are into that, you'd probably be happy with this. Those that were out there seemed to be having a good time.

Room Tip: If they offer you an upgrade--take it.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MARA52807

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,979)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Haywards Heath
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

I hadf not stayed at a feature Hotel Casino Resort in Vegas for some time, so I was looking forward to this stay when my company booked me into Planet Hollywood.

What a let down.

The bad experience started with check in. I came in from the self parking lot and missed the single insignificant sign directin you to registration. My fault for missing the sign, but make the sign big enough and accurate to see! I staggered through the Miracle Mile shops with my bags and eventually made it to registration.

Or so I thought. This was registartion for the Hilton Elara Resort adjacent. No indication of that though so I stood in line like a pudding only to be told I had to further schlep my bags through the casino to another registration area.

That process itself was quick, but things then went downhill rapidly.

Despite repeatedly asking for a non-smoking room, I was given a smoking room. This was not explained to me, and the stench of smoke knocked me over when I reached my room. So I called front desk, got passed from person to person to be told that there was no non-smoking rooms available, but that they would request a move for me for the next day. The time of the move would be unknown - so I would have to either sit in the room waiting for the move, or go to work and risk losing the room by not being available when the move was required. Do these people live in the real world?

By this stage I was not happy, and my mood did not improve when I discovered that one of the two beds was squished and had been laid on, if not in. There was another guests keycard and welcome brochure on the bed. As I inspected the room I discovered someone else's trash in the trash can - and the same in the bathroom. THere was a used tissue on the floor and other trash on the floor on the dark side of the bed. There was a curious and suspicious sticky substance around the faucet in the bathroom. I did not investigate further,

But still no move was available. so I used the 'clean' bed, and did not even unpack. I did not wait for the move. I checked out. I was not going to spend 5 days in that dump. But I had to have breakfast - $20 for two eggs, two pieces of cold bacon and a toasted muffin that had the consistency of a brick.

Other warnings - the hotel was wifi but it costs $13.99 per device. Daylight robbery

I've now moved to the Tropicana. Review to follow - but so far so good. I will not go back to Planet Hollywood, and rate it as one of the worst hotel experiences I have had, not just in the US, but anywhere else. Even the hotel in Lagos during a recent visit was nicer and cleaner.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank David W
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

Stayed here in March 2012 on a Sunday and Monday night so got a good deal for < $70 / night. To our surprise, we got a HUGE room which was almost a suite for that price. Bed was superb and the theme was great. Breakfast was just a $9 voucher at Starbucks each which was good enough for us. Not the best for young kids though as you have to traverse through the Casino grounds with pole dancers and lingerie card dealers to get in / out of hotel lifts and most places. Good if it was just adults. Car Park is a looooonnnggg walk through the Miracle Mile shops is another shortfall but then... I guess most hotels on the strip in Vegas is like that. I would stay again but not with young kids.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Boise, Idaho
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

Location, Location, Location! We just completed a 5 night stay at Planet Hollywood Resort & Casino. My wife, I, and our two kids, (aged 18 and 20) had adjoining rooms. Upon check-in (which took no more than a 5 minute wait in line) I asked for a complimentary “Fountain View Room” upgrade and was told it would be a couple hours before King & Queen adjoining Fountain View rooms would be ready. My family decided they were tired and didn’t want to wait, so we settled for rooms on the 10th floor. Both of the rooms were clean and featured newer towels and linens. As well, both of the rooms were quiet and provided a good night’s rest. A feature we all enjoyed were the very over-sized bathrooms. Also, the hotel’s location directly in the middle of the strip was a HUGE benefit.

The casino is modern, easy to get around in, and fun! With the Miracle Mile shops attached, there are many dining (and drinking) options within a short walk from your room. (For reasonable drink prices, check out “Fresh Bar & Grill” in the Miracle Mile shops.) HINT: Do not stand in the Starbucks line as it can be outrageously long at times--instead, “The Coffee Bean” is located just around the corner from the east entrance to the Miracle Mile shops from the casino (no lines). Additionally there is a brand new (2-story) Walgreens next door to the hotel which was a five minute walk from our room. The Walgreens features many convenience items such as sandwiches to go, a wine and liquor section, etc. Every employee we dealt with at that Walgreens was super nice and friendly. In fact, I am planning to write a letter to that store and let them know how much the great customer service was appreciated.

One thing I will keep in mind next time I am reserving a hotel is to check the AAA Diamond rating. Meaning, Hotels.com rates the Planet Hollywood Resort & Casino as a “Four Star” property. Unfortunately, that was the information I was going on when I booked the rooms. Now looking into it, I see that AAA rates the property as a “Three Diamond”, which is actually more the case. One complaint I have about the hotel was its lack of detail (which one might expect at a 3 star hotel, but not a 4 star). For example, the furniture in the rooms had much wear and tear. There were tons of finger prints on the wardrobe doors, there were lights which didn’t work in both our rooms, there was mildew in both showers, not all of the elevator buttons worked, etc.

Would we stay at Planet Hollywood Resort & Casino again? Probably not… unless we were only there for a “party hardy” weekend. Our week at this hotel was fine, but really I think the hotel is much more suited to the college-age party crowd. One last thing, I don’t want to sound like an old fuddy-duddy, but the music in the elevators really is way too loud!

Pro’s: Location, Miracle Mile Shops, Walgreens, Hip Casino
Con’s: Wear and tear, Lack of attention to detail, Blaring music in elevators (which didn’t all work)

Room Tip: Ask for a free "Fountain View" upgrade upon check-in.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank 208pickytravelguy
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

We stayed at Planet Hollywood for a week at the tail end of March. The cost was middle of the road, and really, you go to Vegas to see the hotels...not their rooms. The room had all the basics without getting fancy. Bed was comfortable. View was of the backside of the strip, featuring the scenic Venetian parking lot.

Pros: Great location, sort of in the middle of the southern end of the strip. That way you could make a day out of walking south towards MGM/Luxor/Mandalay and check out their attractions...then another day head north towards TI/Caesars/Wynn. Along with the hotel is a fairly major shopping mall called the Miracle Mile...there's a great MMA store on the backside...best clothing selection I've ever seen. There's also an Earl of Sandwich on the casino level, which is probably the best food deal in town.

Cons: Door to the room seems to be made of tissue paper, allowing you to hear every detail of the 20-somethings arguing in the hallway at 0200 hrs. Really weird one - the toilets don't have rear water tanks, so the flusher is located really low on the left side. With the way the bathroom is designed, you have to lean directly over the bowl to reach the handle - I won't go into detail - but just think about it.

Room Tip: Who cares - it's just a room. Who goes to Vegas and hangs out in the room? Sleep, shower, slot...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple