“Good Bang for the Buck”

Rio All-Suite Hotel & Casino
Ranked #106 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 14 May 2012

My wife and I were at the Rio about fourteen years ago and from what I remember not a lot has changed. I stayed at the Rio on a Friday after being in Vegas for a business trip during the week. I chose the Rio mostly because of the price, I was able to get a room on a Friday for about $80 including breakfast*. I also chose it because I remember the hotel being a fairly decent place to stay.

I arrived on a Friday about 5 PM just as a bus load of 50 people arrived. The line to check in moved much faster than at the Hard Rock earlier in the week and I was in my room in about twenty minutes.

I stayed in the Ipanema tower. My room was large, I had a king bed and a living room area with a couch, chair and armoire that contained an old CRT TV. There was a closet and a vanity in the hallway leading into the bathroom. The bathroom had another sink, for couples traveling together, so they can each have their own sink. The bathroom also had a tub with a shower instead of a walk-in shower that most hotel bathrooms have now days.

The room was clean. The furniture in the room was in good condition, none of it had damage or showed signs of wear but it looked like it was from the early '90s. The vanitys were made of a manufactured material, probably Corian, rather than granite which is standard in most hotels now days. I'm not complaining because if the room had granite counter tops and new furniture I'm sure that I would be paying $150 or more per night.

My only complaint about the room, other than it did not have a large flat screen TV, is there was an adjoining door between my room and the one next to it and the doors are not good sound insulators. I heard people next store when they came home sometime after 2 AM and I heard them about 8 AM in the morning.

The casino area was okay but when you compare it to other casinos on the strip it seemed a little small and it lacked the glitz of the other casinos.

It's a short walk over the bridge to get to Caesar's Palace but the hotel runs a shuttle every half hour that will drop you on the strip. I probably could have walked to Caesar's faster than the shuttle ride took because of the round about route we took. The shuttle dropped me at Harrah's but they had shuttles to two other locations on the strip.

*I never did get my free breakfast. When I checked in I was given two tickets to use for breakfast but wasn't told anything about them. I went down to have breakfast Saturday morning and was told that I had to pay $32.50 and they thought the charge would be credited. I wasn't going to take a chance so I declined. It kind of felt like a scam, they give you a voucher for breakfast but you are not told how to redeem it. I'm good with the fact that I didn't get breakfast, I thought the room was a good enough deal even without breakfast.

The Rio isn't the newest or nicest hotel but I got a lot of value for the money. The location is good, it's not on the strip but it's close enough. If you are looking for reasonable accommodations that are close to the strip the Rio will work for you.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank penguinpete
There are newer reviews for Rio All-Suite Hotel & Casino

Reviewed 13 May 2012

Was booking an 8 person golf trip to vegas and originally was going to stay at Tuscanny Suites, but received an offer from my Total Rewards Card which included 2 comped nights, plus Friday and Saturday for a total for $224, including all charges. I had only used my rewards card once in the past year to buy into a WSOP Circuit event, prior to that I had not used my card in 5 years.

Told the group and two others already had cards and they got the same 2 comped nights and weekend rates.

Unfortunately the Friends and Family rate was $392 for the 4 nights. Still a great rate, but much more than three of us were paying.

Check in was easy and they accomodated us by putting our rooms in the same area of the hotel.

I highly recommed using the video check out option, as it takes about 30 seconds.

Self Parking is easy. I suggest parking on the 4th (Top) level, as that is where the walkway is to get to the Hotel/Casino.

Leave your bags in the car, as the Front Desk is about a mile in one direction and if you are staying in the tower, you will be walking back towards the garage to catch the elevator to your room.

The Burger Bar is an easy meeting place if you are driving around with others. It is at the end of the walkway to the garage.

The American Diner was overpriced, but nevertheless tasty at 2:00 am. The breakfast buffet was about $16, but had everything you could need. Only $8 for locals.

Large room with sitting area, Shower, Toilet and a sink in one room, another sink with large mirror, big closet and dresser draws in another are. Two Queen beds and plenty of room if sharing with a friend/golfer.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Rdsxfan
Reviewed 13 May 2012 via mobile

Sure, the room is big, but that's not going to get 4 stars on my watch. This property has seen it's day, and what a day it was. In fine vegas tradition, this property has come and gone. I'd say it's sad. They'll say it's a life expectancy. I'd give ten to one there's a max of ten more years of deterioration till bottom feeders or bulldozers. Noone in Vegas will book that bet because I'm right.
Anyhow, 20 min to check in at midnight was no fun either.

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed 13 May 2012

We received a comp room and even though it wasn't one of the remodeled room, it was still nice. All their rooms are very large with a comfortable king bed or 2 queen beds, sofa, sitting chair and coffee table with desk and chair. You have a dressing area with sink and refrigerator and a safe. The bathroom is basic with shower/tub combo. With it being free we overlooked the mountains, that was still a nice view. They have a great pool area that was closed on our last visit, but we have used it before and really loved it. Their Buffet is really good, but I still think that buffets are getting to be over priced in the Casino Hotels. I just cannot eat that much food and don't feel I get a good value. We always have our car, but they do have free shuttle service to the Strip for their customers. Their slots are a little tight, so I stayed to poker for the most part. It seems everyone has gone to $10 a hand minimum on table games and your money goes pretty fast...all the $5 a hand games are down town or off the strip, plus the slots a loser as well. Make sure you go to their Parade in the Sky, it was really nice. Overall, we like the Rio and will be going back in October 2011.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a Caesars Total Reward Players Card if you gamble so you can get comps on food and...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 May 2012

Just when I thought Caesar's/Harrah's might be improvIng, they disappointed again. Tried the buffet once but between the staff that never smiled and the overpriced food, did not go back. They manage to increase the price of every beverage we drink, with or without alcohol, every time we go. And at 6 pm when our room still hadn't been cleaned the last evening we were there, I called housekeeping just to get some fresh towels. I was told they were still cleaning rooms. Really? At 6 PM, after we had to trip over the cleaning carts on the morning to get out of our room? Within 10 minutes towels, and 2 cleaning carts with staff that were nowhere in sight minutes before, appeared at our door. They were astonished I didn't want to leave my room yet again to let them clean my room. Overall average, the usual overpriced Las Vegas stuff, but inconvenient too.

• Stayed: May 2012