I have a theory about the high marks on this place, versus my very fair rating of "2" stars:
1. The person has never had any other Japanese food, and so does not know better;
2. People are drinking a lot of sake and so the taste of the food really does not matter;
3. These awesome reviews are a bit old;
4. or, the place just had a bad night the night I went.
The reason for 2 stars:
1. The food was really, really overcooked. Everything was overcooked. "Cook it 'till it's dead!" must be their mantra. Steak, overcooked. Vegetables, overcooked. Rice, overcooked. Chicken, overcooked. Fish, overcooked. Shrimp, overcooked. Tempura, overcooked. (And greasy! The oil needs to be changed...or just made hotter. Tempura, though fried, is not supposed to taste greasy.) Tea, overcooked! Shoot, even the salad was overcooked...okay, just kidding about that. But really, everything was super overcooked. It's like, are they fighting against amoeba dysentery, or something? What IS it???
2. The place needs a little renovating. It's a fun atmosphere, especially the hibachi area, but everything feels like it's about 5-10 years due for a renovation. (It might not even be that old, but it feels like that!) There were some areas where cleanliness, or rather, repairs, were needed, that were obvious. You know what they are, Ohjah!
3. The service was really uneven. Not enough attention at the table (water and tea glasses were not filled within a reasonable time). And rather than sincerely asking how everything was, the tone of question was, "You like everything, RIGHT?!!" NOT EXACTLY CONDUCIVE TO HONEST FEEDBACK...like, "Dude, you killed my steak so dead, it would not have a chance at the afterlife, even in India!"
On the plus side (why it is not 1-star), it is a fun, rollicking and convenient place to dine. If you came just for drinks, you would have a terrific time. So, maybe it's just an off-night. But don't take your most important client there, or your best sweetie, without checking it out first.
Own or manage this property? Claim your listing for free to respond to reviews, update your profile and much more.