“Wonderful Place to Stay”

Hilton Grand Vacations on Paradise (Convention Center)
Ranked #16 of 264 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed 3 January 2008

I have visited Las Vegas many times and have previously stayed at the Excaliber and the MGM Grand. When you stay at a casino hotel, it can get on your nerves...the long walk to and from your room, walking thru a smoky casino, very few amenities in your room, etc. I wanted a change and the Grand Vacations Club was perfect.

We booked a king-size suite. The kitchen was perfect, even a dishwasher! There was a small washer-dryer unit in the closet. The kitchen had everything we needed to make small meals and breakfast and the fridge was full-sized. Our son slept on the sofa bed in the front room and we slept in the bedroom. The bath included a large jacuzzi tub.

The room was extremely quiet - so much nicer than having to deal with the partying that happens when you sleep "on the strip".

The pool and jacuzzi were clean and heated and nobody was around when we used them. It was wonderful! The MGM closes down their pool during the winter months as do many of the Strip hotels.

There was a small grocery in the hotel, but I drove a few blocks to a market and stocked up on food.

The new monorail is within walking distance of the hotel, in the back of the parking lot...an easy way to get to any of the strip casinos.

The hotel also had a concierge in the lobby. She was awesome. She got us great seats for Spamalot, even though it was very short notice.

All of the staff was extremely kind, helpful, and accommodating. I can't say enough nice things about them.

Many of the hotels on the strip have shabby rooms and are extremely dirty...this is because many of the visitors are partying and are rough on the rooms. At this hotel, everything was in good order, clean, and beautiful.

There also was a lounge with a big-screen TV and a billiards table. Lots of room to play games, if you wanted. I saw many families hanging out there during the day, but it was never crowded or annoyingly loud.

Our room even came with a DVD player so our son could watch movies. This is one of the few hotels where we have stayed with that amenity.

I also work on the road, so I was able to access the wireless internet from my room on my laptop with no problem. The internet service is FREE - included in the room charge...the casino hotels charge extra for that.

Other than the small market and your room, there is no place to eat at the hotel...however, you can walk to the Hilton which is right next door or eat on the strip. We ate most of our meals on the strip while we visited the various attractions, but it was nice to be able to eat breakfast in our room and also have snacks when we got back in the evening.

Even better, the price was less than half what the casino hotels charge...let's see: better service, more amenities, cleaner rooms, and a better price (about $100/nite vs. $250/nite)...sounds like a no brainer to me. This will be my first choice whenever I visit Vegas from now on.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with family
6  Thank cadagility
Write a ReviewReviews (2,081)

Reviewed 31 December 2007

Our friends who have timeshare through the Hilton chain let us stay here for a night while we were in Vegas and it turned out to be not that bad. There was a nice kitchen area with all the necessities, which was useful. The jacuzzi tub was large and the shower area was clean. The bed and bedroom area in general were spacious and pretty comfy. The Sahara was within walking distance. The hotel provides a coupon book for various things like breakfast coupons, meals, etc. They serve Starbucks in the cafe downstairs. There was also a pull-out sofa in the living room if needed. The room service was friendly and housekeeping was efficient. Overall, our stay there was nice with no problems! Hope this helps!

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with family
3  Thank SassyGRL
Reviewed 6 December 2007

I needed to use a timeshare week and wanted to attend a sporting event at the LV Convention Center, so I chose this HGV location. The check in was quick and friendly.

My two bedroom suite was clean and roomy. I appreciated the numerous electrical outlets to hookup my electronic toys. My suite overlooked the pool and the front of the hotel. The view across Paradise Road was of the other HGV on Las Vegas Blvd, the Riviera, and the Stratosphere. Although there is condo construction across Paradise Road, there was no noise pollution. Traveling eastward along Karen, I found at the next main street - Maryland Parkway - two 24 hour supermarkets - Albertsons and Vons(Safeway). The Vons, even, had a gas station, where I filled up twice for $3.01 a gallon! :)

I had problems with a dead battery in the in-room safe and a backed up toilet. Both problems were fixed quickly. Each bedroom and the living room had separate heating/air conditioning system, which was a nice touch. The hotel tower shades the pool area in the morning, making an early morning swim more a polar bear experience! Patio area heaters would have made the area more useable.

It turned out to be a very long walk between the HGV hotel through the LV Hilton to the LV convention center, particularly on a cold, rainy day. I ended driving most of the time - hehe.

Check out was also quick with no lines.

The quiet, non smoking aspects of HGV was a nice retreat from the noise and smoke of the big casinos. The only negative is the lack of fans in the bathrooms. Bring a can of air freshner!

I would recommend this location to my friends and family. Because of Hilton policy, I can not exchange for this location for the next two years.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled with friends
1  Thank btowndude
Reviewed 25 November 2007

I had not plannned to visit Las Vegas at this time of year, but lucked up catching a Delta Airlines special, $139.30 R/T from ATL, so I had to go!

Since I hadn't been budgeting for a trip, I had to look for bargains. I found a good deal for the Saturday arrival at the Las Vegas Hilton, and saw that for about $25 more for the next two nights, I could move to the HGVLV. I really liked the idea of a kitchenette since I'm usually carrying a to-go box back to my room after dinners out on any vacation. With no microwave, well - whaddaya gonna do with it?! :>)

Check-in was super. Right away, the Host/Concierge/Manager Robert took interest in making me feel special and welcome. I was given a wonderful 15th floor King Studio overlooking a golf course and facing toward the mountains and sunrise, which I loved. The bed was wonderful, and the kitchenette was just the thing for me to fix myself a drink or snack, or re-heat my to-go goodies, without having to dress and go downstairs or somewhere else, (although I did my share of that as well!)

I had a rental car and bought myself some groceries and liquor at the Smith's grocery store off North Rancho. By signing up for the shopper card I saved $27 from my final total of $122 which included an apple pie (breakfast slice!) fruits, nuts, Brie, crackers, chips, a bottle of Stoly Citrus vodka which was on sale for $11 (!), a bottle of Ecco Dominici Pinot Grigio wine and this neat bottle opener/stopper gadget, a bottle of Jose Cuevero ready mixed Margueritas, Mr. & Mrs. T Bloody Mary mix, bottles of water, some makeup and a few souveniers as well. I actually brought a lot of this back home with me, (no liquor, but the other things I could pack) so my budget trip went very well. Even though I drank only about a third of the Stoly, for $11 it was definitely cheaper than buying drinks one by one somewhere out. Plus, I had my wonderful view to enjoy while sipping and enjoying my spur-of-the-moment R&R.

The room already had a complement of Starbucks coffee pods for the coffeemaker, although I did make a run to the deli/grocery downstairs the next morning for more sugar and Half-N-Half.

That morning I went to the pool downstairs. Even though it was November 19th, they were saying on the TV News that this near-record warmth was due to change on Tuesday, which would be the day I was leaving. The pool was heated, anyway. So I certainly enjoyed a November morning in the sun by the pool.

I really liked the hotel toiletries. The lotion smelled wonderful. There was also a ironing board/iron, room safe and hairdryer, for those who need these items. In the morning, as a HHonors member, a USA Today hung on my doorknob outside. My room was quiet enough; I did hear muffled voices a few times from the neighbors, nothing irritating, just enough to know I wasn't totally alone up there.

The room attendants were so friendly and accommodating. Any request I made was immediately and graciously handled.

I thought I had lost my prescription sunglasses. The day I went to check out, I moved my rental car from the HGVLV parking lot around to the front to load my luggage. When I went around to unlock the trunk, there sat my sunglasses on the back of the trunk! Only in Vegas!

Great rate, great room, great experience. I hated to leave, and I hope to be back ASAP!

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled solo
7  Thank annsplans
Reviewed 16 November 2007

We agree that the hotel was great, suprisingly so given some of the reviews.

We also had a suite (upgrade -- not sure why) and the two rooms were more than needed and fabulous. The key was how quiet it was. The room, the lobby, the deli, etc. No waiting in line to check in, no worries getting a bell service to check our bags when we left, no worries getting a taxi.

A couple things to be aware:
1) The deli closes at 10:00 and there no room service.
2) It is an easy walk (probably 500 ft?) on a small sidewalk past the parking garage to the hilton for restraurants, gambling and the monorail.
3) Don't take the trolley from the Hilton -- it is slow. Take the monorail.
4) Tell your taxi driver from the airport to go not take the freeway. It is an easy shot using the back roads to the hotel. Our cab ride was $40 from the airport and less than $20 back.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled with family