“Construction update and hotel review”

Hilton Grand Vacations at the Flamingo
Ranked #24 of 265 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed 10 March 2012

I stayed at the HGVC at the Flamingo from 3/1-3/6 2012. I’ll start with the construction update then move on to my review of the room and the hotel itself.

During my stay the HGVC pool was closed to bring it up to city code. On 3/6 it was refilled with water and they indicated in a voice mail to all rooms that the pool would be reopening 3/10/12. The interior pool of the Flamingo was open to HGVC guests, but the main GO pool was not yet open to anyone.

The Linq project is now under construction. There is going to be a massive Ferris Wheel on the far side of the monorail on the back side of the hotel. There are also many other empty lots behind the monorail that are being graded for something. The Flamingo tennis courts have been removed and it is my understanding that the Linq project will completely make over the area immediately north of the Flamingo – including the Imperial Palace. There was limited construction noise during my stay. Some pile driving (Bam Bam Bam), but you didn't hear it at all from inside the room, and it was not too bad from the grounds in the front (pool side) part of the hotel. The Linq project sounds like it will be a major change for the east center strip - more of an open air mall concept with lots of dining and entertainment. To me that would be nice, since I find the Flamingo to be lacking in decent nightlife and that part of the strip to be lacking in a good mix of restaurants. Everything, including O'Shea’s, is still completely open; however, Carnival Court is under construction but the main outdoor bar is still running.

I stayed in a studio, which is just fine for 1 or 2 people. There is a main room with the bed, TV, dresser, small table with two chairs, a coffee table and a couch. The dresser has a safe behind a false drawer, and the safe could hold my 14” laptop. The bed was a king and was very comfortable – plush but solid. I was in town on business and would have appreciated a work desk of some sort. Decor is hotel-bland.

As you enter, there is a foyer area that has the closet and the “kitchenette”. The Kitchenette has a small fridge, coffee maker, toaster, microwave, two big plates, two small plates, two coffee cups, two drink glasses, two large glasses, and two small glasses, wine opener and various silverware, and a small wet bar type sink. The bath area is really two adjacent areas. The shower and toilet room are separated by a door from the large sink area and the deep jetted tub. The sink area is brightly lit (The foyer is a bit dark and the room is well lit) The tub is open to the main room, separated by a mid-level wall. I found I could sit in the tub and watch TV.

The studio units do not have a washer/dryer like the one-bedroom units have. However, I did discover and use the free laundry machines and dryers on the 17th floor. This is a handy discovery, as if I travel to this town again I can pack very light and keep a load of laundry going to recycle my clothes.

My room was on the 14th floor of the main building at the very south end of the hall. I had a partial view of the Bellagio fountains from that location. All of the rooms face the Flamingo pool complex. The windows you see in pictures that face away from the pool are for the hallways only, and provide a good view of the town and of the current construction. Note that rooms start on the second floor of the main building and on the first floor of the smaller north and south towers. A passerby can look right into these rooms so if you like to keep your drapes open, go for a higher level floor.

The grounds here are fairly compact now that the Flamingo put a big ugly metal fence around its entire pool complex. However, that also makes the HGVC grounds more private and secure. It is very peaceful– a great escape from the state-fair crowds walking on the strip. There are several nice seating areas throughout, and the area has nice tropical vegetation. There are also some tables next to the Deli, and some more tables at the front of the entrance. There are two big gas grills that I believe usually go next to the pool. The pool has a couple of first-come shade structures over tables, which I bet would be coveted in the hotter part of the year. Last time I was here the pool bar was open and it was reasonably priced.

There is a very short path from the hotel to the Flamingo that was lit and seemed safe at all times. If you want to use the monorail, the “emergency exit” staircase along the path gate seems to always be open both at the bottom and the top so you can use that instead of walking into the Flamingo and then backtracking.

The Deli/store is also reasonably priced for a hotel store. They make excellent sandwiches and the coffee is better than what you can brew in the room. There is a convenience store next to Battista’s Hole in the Wall just east of the hotel that has a much larger selection of food and drinks.

Both times I have stayed here I tried to check in very early and both times I ended up having to check my bags and have them call me when the room was ready. However, I don’t fault them for being full. The bellhops are nice and they will literally run over to the Flamingo to get a cab for you, so remember to tip them. I’ve not bothered with the Welcome Desk and their “deals” since they usually are 2-fers and I am a solo traveler. I did find the 4 voice messages from staff welcoming me, inviting me to the welcome desk, etc. to be highly annoying as I would return from a meeting and see the flashing light and assume it must be a family emergency. If I stay there again I plan on asking them to not call my room phone except for emergencies.

I will most likely stay here again if I am back in town on business. If I visit with my wife I think I’ll splurge on the Palazzo or something really over-the-top.

Room Tip: higher levels have better views, less pool noise, more privacy. Studios are best for 1 or 2 people...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
16  Thank auroraclubjazz
Write a ReviewReviews (1,879)

Reviewed 9 March 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 7 nights, March 2-9 (3 nights for pleasure and the rest for a convention held at the Mandalay Bay). We had a very pleasant experience at this hotel. I will say one thing, many of these reviews claim that this hotel is all one-bedroom suites with full kitchen etc. that is NOT true. We were in a studio and the kitchen area was minimal. Had a toaster, coffee maker, sink and small fridge. The hotel is a bit old so don't expect anything glamorous, but it is clean and cozy non the less.

If you are set on spending time at the pool, make sure you call ahead and ask if it will be open. We were told that the pool was closed and was being resurfaced and would be open on the 5th, but then they extended that to the 10th. The Flamingo GO pool was also closed due to early season. They did have the smaller family pool at the Flamingo open for use but it was very crowded. Just saying - do your homework before you go.

All the reviews about this hotel being close to the flamingo and strip are very true. This Hilton is a great location and a short stroll through the Flamingo to the strip.

Because this hotel is off the strip and not part of a huge resort it tends to be fairly quite and not rowdy like many other Vegas hotels. Good for families and working trips.

Also, the staff was very friendly and helpful with any questions or requests we had. There is also a decent deli on the fist floor with a small convenience store as well to stock your room with snacks etc. all in all a good stay.

Room Tip: If you want a true suite with a bedroom and full kitchen make sure you request one or book one becau...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Ashley J
Reviewed 8 March 2012

This property is technically not part of the flamingo, but is directly behind it...probably about 100-200 steps away from the back entrace....it was still close enough to the Flamingo that you basically felt you were right there.

Being in the middle of the strip is a plus as it wasnt hard to walk to anywhere really up and down the strip....the Flamingo itself is better than the last time I was there.

The rooms are nice...we had a 1 BR suite...I believe they are all suites....with a full kitchen, breakfast bar/ dining table, sofa which fold out -- actually pretty comfortable to sleep on

Only thing that would have been nice was to have 2 bathrooms instead of 1, but all in all no complaints, and I would stay there again.

I previously stayed at MGM signature as a comparison in style of rooms, and I must say at least the walk from Flamingo to this property is 1/5 of the walk from MGM to the signature...

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank P0cketAces
Reviewed 6 March 2012

My wife and I just returned from a stay here. I wish we could go back right now! The staff was friendly and very helpful. My wife mentioned it was my birthday and I was sent cards, chocolates, and balloons from the front desk. A nice touch!

The hotel is not even a three minute leisurely stroll to the back entrance of the Flamingo. Once inside, the monorail is only an escalator ride and another very short walk away. We took the monorail once to MGM. In my opinion, the Flamingo is the best location on the strip. We repeatedly walked to the Venetian/Palazzo towards the north end of the strip and The Cosmopolitan towards the south end. Ceasars, Bellagio, and Paris all seemed like a stone's throw away.

We had a one-bedroom suite which was perfect for the two of us. The full refrigerator and freezer with an ice maker came in handy. We had previously stayed at the HGVC on the strip near Circus Circus with another couple who slept on the sofa bed. The living room at the HGVC Flamingo is much smaller and I wouldn't want to stay in the one-bedroom suite there with two couples for a whole week.

Check out time is 10am, but they let us remain in the room until noon. Our flight didn't leave until very late so the bellman offered to hold our bags. We noticed much commotion at the bell desks of the larger strip hotels at the end of weekends, but we didn't have to deal with that at HGVC Flamingo. The whole experience was hassle free and pleasant.

We can't wait to return!

Room Tip: High floors in the main tower
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jfulginiti
Reviewed 2 March 2012

If staying in a mega smoke-filled hotel is not your thing, this property is a great alternative. The room set-up works great for couples, as the two bedroom is a lock-out set-up with the smaller room having it's own mini kitchen. Looks to be fairly newly updated with nice color scheme. Bed was super comfy. Staff very friendly and accomodating. They showed me two rooms and let me decide which one I wanted, as the first one looked out on a major construction project. Ask for a room away from that area as I am sure it is loud. As it is located right behind the Flamingo Hotel, the location is perfect.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple