“Stranded in Las Vegas”

Hampton Inn Tropicana
Ranked #29 of 263 Hotels in Las Vegas
Reviewed 21 May 2012

Spent most of the week in Vegas for work recently and went to fly home on Sprirt Airlines and found our flight was cancelled. Turns out it took almost 2 days to get us a flight out and they set us up at the Hampton Inn Tropicana. From the staff at the counter to the employees working around the hotel I rate them the friendliest ever! very helpfull and most of all very understanding about flight delay's and how they effect travelers. The stay there was flawless, so much so I am thinking to book at the Hampton next time instaed of the strip for our annual trade show. The manager of this hotel was amazing, made us feel at home.

Room Tip: Spent a lot of time at the pool so anyware near.
3  Thank Joe L

Reviewed 21 May 2012

Hi, we stayed at this hotel for 5 nights in the second week of MAY and can 100% recommend it to anyone thinking of staying here. Yes the hotel is off strip and non-gaming however it is not that far from the strip and plus you have a regular free shuttle to the strip. For the price it was worth it.
We had requested for a quiet room on a higher floor and did get one. Daniella from the reception was great. We were lucky we got her for check in and check out and she is a treat to deal with. In fact all the others at reception and housekeeping that we dealt with were absolutely spot on polite and made you feel welcomed.
The rooms are largish, pumped up soft beds with a flat screen HD telly and free wi-fi that works perfectly fine. Free parking was also not a problem.
The free breakfast was plenty. I know to have a breakfast included in Vegas is a rarity and this one did its job. There was everything from juices, yoghurt to eggs and waffles. Granted it is a help yourself counter and on throw away styrofoam plates but then hey it is free and it is a hot breakfast so what is there to complain? There is a 24 hours coffee counter when ever you feel like a cuppa. The seating for the breakfast was nice, small individual tables to a communal table to watch the puffed up faces of the ones who had a late merry night......oops I meant to be social and know your fellow hotel guests if you wish :-) You may find some corporates on a seminar making you feel good about being on a holiday and not having to discuss cheap sales tricks or laugh at silly jokes of your boss! It was quite entertaining for us to see through those corporates and they kept us amused in the morning. You can also sit outside next to the pool.
The pool was a small and intimate one with a waterfall feature but then I do not remember seeing a scramble for the loungers or shades.
If you forget something or get a sweet craving late night then the small shop in the reception can cater to your pangs.
All in all we were very happy to be at this hotel as we've always stayed in downtown and gaming hotels. The decor is as it says, tropical but it did not bother us.
Hampton Inn Tropicana [ HIT] was worth every penny and we will certainly come back especially for the nice staff. Try getting that service on the strip!

Room Tip: Ask for a quieter room to be away from the lifts and ice machines.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Roopks
Reviewed 11 May 2012

My husband and I chose this hotel because they offered free shuttle service between the airport and hotel and also between the hotel and the strip. This saved us from renting a car for our 2 night stay in April/May of 2012. Things did not start off well when we called from the airport to advise them that we were at the airport and request the shuttle to pick us up. Apparently the young woman we spoke to was new and suffice it to say, got things messed up and we ended up waiting 45 min. for the shuttle while the driver circled around at the wrong terminal looking for us. It wasn't his fault & later the manager apologized and said he would take all employees out to the airport so they could see what incoming customers experience upon arrival. A good plan. After that, the shuttle drivers were very accommodating and helpful. As for the hotel itself, our room (#625) was close to the busy corner and we could hear street traffic at night. So, if you go, try to get a room that isn't on that side. The room itself was okay, but the carpet was filthy. In just 10 min. time, my white socks were so dirty I didn't even want to put my feet on the bed when wearing them. The breakfast was very good, though and the staff was friendly and accommodating. We paid $119 for a Mon. night and then $161 for the next night, which was May 1st, so I guess the rates went up because it was May. It was a good deal for $119, but not so much for $161. We didn't use the computer room or pool, etc so I can't comment on those. I'm giving 4 stars because of the friendly staff and shuttle bus service (after the initial snafu), also for the breakfast.

Room Tip: Top floor on opposite side of the busy corner that faces the highway.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank beachmeisters
Reviewed 7 May 2012

I booked a room for two night to arrive in Mid May. I booked the room in late 2011. I called today to cancel my reservation and the front desk employee said it was already cancelled. I asked for the cancellation number for my records just in case. This could have been a very bad situation to show up at the hotel and my reservation was cancelled by the hotel staff. This is why I always confirm the reservation before I go to the hotel, but in this situation, to cancel.

In short, hotel cancelled my reservation without my permission, but I was cancelling my stay anyways, but could have been a really upsetting situation.

2  Thank jpcrash
Surveys, General Manager at Hampton Inn Tropicana, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2012

Dear Jpcrash
I was glad to hear that when planning your trip you thought about us while making your hotel reservation. On the other hand, I was disturbed to hear that your reservation was canceled- before you called us to cancel it. We take pride in our reservation system integrity and the events you mention in your critique are extremely unusual.
I hope that in the future when your plans bring you to Las Vegas again, you will allow us to be your host hotel.
Yair Eldar

Reviewed 6 May 2012

I stayed at the Hampton Inn while on a business trip to Las Vegas. The conference was at a very expensive hotel on the strip that was way beyond my company's allowable travel budget. The Hampton Inn Tropicana was on the list of hotels that my company approved and I had stayed at Hampton Inns before so I booked it. It worked out perfectly. The hotel has a shuttle to the airport so I didn't have to get a taxi. The hotel staff was very professional and friendly. The hotel is located just off the strip but they provide a shuttle to/from the strip so I never needed a taxi or rental car. The hotel itself was modern, very clean, and included all of the things that I look for when I travel - good breakfast, wifi with the room, and a modern room that isn't dated or smells old. The breakfast had both scambled and hard boiled eggs plus a meat, waffles, cereal, etc. The wifi worked well so I could catch up on work emails at night. The room had a coffee pot, very nice TV, the beds were comfortable, and the bathroom had all of the basics I expected. To get to my conference I took the hotel shuttle to the strip and then walked 20 min. Walking along the strip is entertaining itself. The hotel was a great value and allowed me to stay at a safe, modern hotel and attend my conference. And the hotel didn't have slot machines like every other building that I saw in Vegas which I considered a plus.

5  Thank joel_in_dallas