“An absolute letdown!!!”

Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 21 October 2017 via mobile

I had such high expectations before going in, as this place had outstanding reviews. But right after we were seated, this meal turned out to be one of the most disappointing experiences ever.

Our server was nice but more on the robotic side of nice. She brought out the specials which had no pricing on it. We opted to go for the Wagyu beef, the shrimp, and the pork belly.

The pork belly was by far the nicest of the three, very tasty in a really good sauce. That being said, it was also definitely way too fatty. The shrimp were whole with the head and everything. I hate a full one and had a hard time swallowing the hard shell that kept being stuck down my throat.

And the came the Wagyu beef, the thing the server hyped the most. It was basically 2 small bites each and it was very tough to chew. I felt like I was chewing gum forever till I finally just swallowed the whole bite

And the came the check; $76 for three tiny appetizers size portion with one glass of wine and one small hot sake. An absolute ripoff if you ask me. And on top of it all, they even have the nerves to ask up to 30% in gratuities?

This was by far one of the most disappointing, overpriced, average at best food and service dining experience as I have ever encountered anywhere in the World. A huge letdown!

1  Thank Steve R

Reviewed 20 October 2017 via mobile

We had to eat at six to get a table but the insanely early start was worth it. We ate family style which allowed us to sample multiple dishes including a number of specialities. Everything was delicious with some excellent sake for accompaniment.

Reviewed 18 October 2017 via mobile

On my previous visit I ordered too much and missed out on several dishes I had really wanted to try.

The wife and I arrived 10 minutes before opening without a reservation. We did manage a table for 2 and were told we had an hour and-a-half to enjoy our meal.

This time I remained focused and ordered my must haves for this trip right off the bat. I went with the monthly sake sampler (3 chilled offerings), fried ice fish and from the robata section; Kobe beef tendon, foie gras with a teriyaki glaze and a slice of black garlic and finally salmon oroshi ( with grated daikon and ikura).

The taste and finish on each of the sakes were just how the waiter described them. The ice fish were whole, crispy and crunched in the mouth without a hint of fishy taste or greasiness. The salmon was grilled to perfection and I was delighted to see there was a sizeable portion of crispy skin left on the fish. The tendon was incredibly unctuous to say the least, really amazing. And last, but, definitely not least the foie was...well you need to come to Raku and actually experience it. All I can say is hot teriyaki butter, slightly garlicky with an after-after taste of a hint of liver.

Well done!!!

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Mike from British Columbia

Reviewed 15 October 2017

Food is good. Can’t agree with others, calling it the best place ever. Food is good and I am sure u can find similar tasting food close to where u live.

Reviewed 11 October 2017

We started eating here when it first opened and have been coming back when we're in town. The food is always beautifully prepared and delicious. We especially enjoy the fish specials which generally come from Japan. The robatayaki skewers are also very good. For those not terribly familiar with Japanese food beyond sushi and sashimi, I would say, " Just jump in and try things-have fun. You may not like everything, but you will certainly eat things that are not available most anywhere else."

Been to Raku? Share your experiences!