“Incredible hike along a rushing stream with lots of pools to swim in along the way!”
Review of Horsetail Falls

More attraction details
Owner description: This moderate to difficult hiking trail provides scenic views of the mountain peaks and a magnificent waterfall. Caution is advised regarding the treacherously slippery rock slabs in the stream and near the falls.
Reviewed 6 August 2016

Horsetail Falls is an incredible place. The trail is marked pretty well for the first quarter mile, but after that it opens up to a massive, wide open hike/climb over huge granite masses that make up the mountain. It is a pretty easy hike, my parents who are 65 did it with ease. We didn't quite make it to the falls, due to time restrictions, but the mile hike we did was absolutely incredible, probably our favorite hike of the trip. The short hike for the incredible views you get is like paying a nickel for the best pizza you've ever had!

1  Thank Eric A

Reviewed 25 July 2016

I gave the hike 4 stars because it was beautiful and challenging. I didn't give it 5 stars because at some points I felt like I wasn't hiking - I was rock climbing! If you plan on going to the top of the falls, you should have experience with rock scrambling, you should not be alone, and maybe you should bring some rope. There were three points where I was actually afraid of falling off the mountain. There is more than one way to get to the top, so maybe we picked a harder route. But there is no way to tell which routes are easier and which are harder. I will not do this one again unless I have someone with me who knows a good route.

4  Thank Carrie K
Reviewed 1 July 2016 via mobile

My husband and I, both 58, attempted to hike to the bottom of the falls. We are easy to moderate hikers and although we didn't find the hike overly strenuous, we found ourselves lost constantly and finally gave up and never made it to the bottom of the falls. Would love to do it again someday with a guide. When we were along the creek, it was cool and pretty but we veered off a "difficult to follow" trail multiple times including on the way back at the bottom when we exhaustedly ended up on the highway about 50 yards from the trailhead parking.

Reviewed 22 July 2015 via mobile

This hike is beautiful and has pools to swim in all along the trail. The trail is easy to lose though make sure to follow the stacked rocks!

Reviewed 7 May 2015

Lots of wide open granite rocks, but also some nice wooded trails. Great views if Desolation Wilderness and Sierra Mountains. Trails not always marked, but you can't get lost - you're either going up or down.

$5 to park or free off side of highway. Bathrooms, bring food.

Note: TripAdvisor heading says it's in NV - but it's not, it's in CA.

3  Thank Richard B