“Great place but sadly has closed”
Review of Thurman's Ranch House - CLOSED

Thurman's Ranch House
Reviewed 2 July 2014

This business has closed. The owner has retired and the business was not bought out and carried on as anticipated. Loss for Carson City, it had great food.

Reviewed 9 December 2013

This was always one of our favorite places to eat in Carson City, but sadly it is closed forever. The owner did not want to continue, and it is for sale.
We are heartbroken.

Reviewed 22 August 2013

The rest of the reviews are correct--Thurman's Ranch House is an OLD restaurant. Its decor has not been changed in years, it is dark, and the tables are for large parties.

That said, the food is very good, the price reasonable (I have attached a menu from August, 2013), and the dinner appears to be Basque style, but does not appear to be typical Basque food (for that, go to JT Bar and Basque restaurant in Minden).

The service at lunch was good--my family was on their way to Virginia City, and this is on the right side of the road just after the first intersection from the (new) 395 freeway. Lots of lunch parking, since the number of patrons was small.

My French Dip sandwich was very good, but the onion rings were even better--real home-battered rings. The fries my son had were so-so. My wife's split pea soup was excellent.

I would recommend this place--it is clearly not 5-star, but it is well worth a stop.

Reviewed 11 July 2013

The place is a little long in the tooth, but food was ok. The prime rib was flavorful and cooked correctly. Maybe a little tough, but not tough enough to ruin the experience. They have a nice touch on their menu with a "lite" offering of the regular meals. This allows average eaters to have a menu item without some of the extra things. The wine was free and ok, but I'm not a wine drinker. Now if they offered beer with the meal, I would have given a higher score. Probably worth a visit if one is spending several days in Carson City

Reviewed 5 July 2013

My husband and I ate here one night for dinner during our recent trip to Carson City and Virginia City. I had seen this restaurant as we drove by, checked out some reviews and it sounded good. I like basque or family style restaurants and this restaurant did not disappoint. Our server (name unknown) was a young lady who had worked there for 9 years (per her report) and was an enthusiastic and friendly server. I noted she took the time to chat with all the patrons, although the restaurant was not very busy the Sunday evening we were there. As previous reviewers have said, the restaurant is rather dimly lighted inside and I don't usually like to eat in darker restaurants, but the atmosphere was fine. The decor is not up to date, but seems to fit with this restaurant and we found the place clean and well kept. I ordered the lamb chops and my husband the surf and turf. We were both pleased with our meals. The lamb chops were tasty and nicely cooked. I rarely get to have lamb when dining out, so it was a treat. My husband said his top sirloin was tender, cooked well and tasted very good as well as the shrimp. Our meals were served family style and we started out with a very large bowl of soup that was placed on our table and we dipped into our bowls. The soup was a barley, beef, homemade and tasty. There was more soup than we could eat. We next had a platter of salad with the house vinaigrette and then our meals were served which came with our choice of baked potatoe. A dish of baked raviolis was also served, quite good and a vegetable medly of cauliflower, broccoli and carrots. French bread and butter was served at the beginning of the meal as well as small glasses of a burgundy wine (we were offered refills). For dessert there were four or five kinds of ice cream to choose from. I had the spumoni and my husband the cherry. All in all, a very good meal in a restaurant I would definitely recommend. Pricing seemed reasonable for the quality and amount of food. Both of our meals were around $25.00 each. I wish we lived closer to Thurman's for a repeat visit, but if ever back in Carson City I would want to eat here again.

1  Thank MSWMom50