“Ok and price was reasonable”
Review of Thurman's Ranch House - CLOSED

Thurman's Ranch House
Reviewed 11 July 2013

The place is a little long in the tooth, but food was ok. The prime rib was flavorful and cooked correctly. Maybe a little tough, but not tough enough to ruin the experience. They have a nice touch on their menu with a "lite" offering of the regular meals. This allows average eaters to have a menu item without some of the extra things. The wine was free and ok, but I'm not a wine drinker. Now if they offered beer with the meal, I would have given a higher score. Probably worth a visit if one is spending several days in Carson City

Reviewed 5 July 2013

My husband and I ate here one night for dinner during our recent trip to Carson City and Virginia City. I had seen this restaurant as we drove by, checked out some reviews and it sounded good. I like basque or family style restaurants and this restaurant did not disappoint. Our server (name unknown) was a young lady who had worked there for 9 years (per her report) and was an enthusiastic and friendly server. I noted she took the time to chat with all the patrons, although the restaurant was not very busy the Sunday evening we were there. As previous reviewers have said, the restaurant is rather dimly lighted inside and I don't usually like to eat in darker restaurants, but the atmosphere was fine. The decor is not up to date, but seems to fit with this restaurant and we found the place clean and well kept. I ordered the lamb chops and my husband the surf and turf. We were both pleased with our meals. The lamb chops were tasty and nicely cooked. I rarely get to have lamb when dining out, so it was a treat. My husband said his top sirloin was tender, cooked well and tasted very good as well as the shrimp. Our meals were served family style and we started out with a very large bowl of soup that was placed on our table and we dipped into our bowls. The soup was a barley, beef, homemade and tasty. There was more soup than we could eat. We next had a platter of salad with the house vinaigrette and then our meals were served which came with our choice of baked potatoe. A dish of baked raviolis was also served, quite good and a vegetable medly of cauliflower, broccoli and carrots. French bread and butter was served at the beginning of the meal as well as small glasses of a burgundy wine (we were offered refills). For dessert there were four or five kinds of ice cream to choose from. I had the spumoni and my husband the cherry. All in all, a very good meal in a restaurant I would definitely recommend. Pricing seemed reasonable for the quality and amount of food. Both of our meals were around $25.00 each. I wish we lived closer to Thurman's for a repeat visit, but if ever back in Carson City I would want to eat here again.

1  Thank MSWMom50
Reviewed 22 March 2013

Driving by Thurman's, the ramshackle, paint-worn, 'old West'-style building and the parking lot either empty or full of pickup trucks would make one wonder what quality the food would be. Entering through an old-fashioned (squeaky) screen door into a semi-dusk environment, where the hostess/waitress appears out of the semi-dark adds to the feeling of wonder.
However, the food was good, the service prompt and the bill tolerable, so that makes for a good dining experience.
I had lunch there on a Thursday, because that is when one of the specials was prime rib. The meat was Choice, rather than Prime, but cooked to my request, tender, juicy and hot. The preceding black bean soup lived up to the menu's statement that the soups were made from scratch, on the premises. The accompanying French fries were, well, just French fries. Iced tea came in a half-gallon pitcher, which was left on the table, a nice touch.
As mentioned, the entry/foyer was dark to the point of being gloomy, and the dining room was not much better. The walls are dark wood, as is the ceiling. There is one large window in the corner, but the blinds were shut on half of it. The ten small ceiling light fixtures didn't do much to light the place up. When I was seated, there was some sort of mixing machine going in the kitchen, which had an annoying squeal to it - sounded like a bearing going out. Fortunately, that stopped after a few minutes, but the cooks' choice of radio stations left a lot to be desired.
There are about 14-20 tables and booths in the dining area. Many were 8-10-place tables, set with large bowls and serverware, probably for the Basque-type family-style dinner in the evening.
All-in-all, Thurman's is a decent value, if you can overlook the dimness, the decor, and the lack of customers (I was the only one in the diningroom. The bar, however, was full of cowboy and construction types.) The food was good.

Reviewed 4 January 2013

We have seen the vehicles parked and said this HAS got to be a good place to eat. It weasn't.
Everything tasted like lamb. My wife ordered a steak and I a fish dish. Both had a greazy bland
after taste of lamb.
I guess everyone with kids, ( children ) was there for the "family value." Most everyone had at least 2 under 12 aged children with their party, except us.

Reviewed 21 November 2012

Cozy atmosphere with excellent food. Whenever we order two dinners, we usually have enough to take home for at least two more dinners!!! The ribs are outstanding. Be sure to ask for Kay. She is a wonderful server who has been there forever and remembers clients by name even after long absenses.

1  Thank murphynv