“Visit the park then read the book”

Ashfall Fossil Beds State Historical Park
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Royal
More attraction details
Owner description: This archeological site, revealing prehistoric fossils, is a subdivision of the University of Nebraska State Museum
Reviewed 15 September 2017

The Ashfall Fossil Park is a little out of your way as you trek through Nebraska but the stop is definitely one that should be on your list. The park is located in the rolling hills of northeast NE so a scenic drive when compared to the freeway. The visit center/museum portion of the park has educational displays and hands on items. There are several shelters and a building that are discovery centers and allow the kids to enjoy a hands-on experience at the park. The observation building where the college interns are uncovering fossils is very impressive. The interns enjoy sharing what they know about the ashfall event at this ancient waterhole and the animals of the past. Well preserved fossils cover almost all of the floor in the building (and outside). We spend about two hours there and that was about the right amount of time.

There is a book titled Ashfall written by Mike Mullen. The author thoroughly investigated the impact of an ashfall. Then, he wrote a story about a modern-day event if the Yellowstone super-volcano was to erupt. Visiting the park and reading the book complement each other very well. I highly recommend doing both.

All reviews
"great information"
"picnic area"
"rolling hills"

Reviewed 27 August 2017

The fossils are lovely! There is SO many in one place it's extraordinary! I went during high school in 2013 with classmates and surely want to return sometime soon with family or friends!

1  Thank Jolene D
Reviewed 24 August 2017 via mobile

I planned to visit this site after viewing the eclipse and wasn't disappointed. In fact, this totally eclipsed the eclipse...

Reading the reviews, the park has definitely improved over the years and may have worked out most if not all of the limitations.

One thing I enjoyed was the exhibit didn't have voice overs. You had to read the description OR one of the employees/interns provided an explanation/interpretation and answered questions. It was like a sanctuary. Thank you, Ashfall Fossil Bed, for the total silence. It provided me with reverence for all that came before us and all that will follow, including you and me.

3  Thank fleabane2
Reviewed 19 August 2017

The Ashfall Fossil Beds are a Nebraska State Park and designated as a national natural landmark. Visiting Ashfall is an opportunity to learn about and see animals most of never thought would have been here. The dig is located in a building and is actively being worked. We spoke to archelogy students while they were busy unearthing the fossils. There is a cost per person ($7) as well as for a one day pass to Nebraska State Parks ($8). Ashfall seems like it is very remote but roads are good and the place is easy to find. Highly recommend to anyone but especially familys.

See more reviews
Reviewed 17 August 2017

I am on my second generation of taking kids to Ashfall Park. The scenery is really pretty, the museum is VERY informative and it is interactive for kids of all ages. Including my 28 year old son who had his picture taken while riding the giant tortoise! The only reason I gave it a 5 is because the two staff we encountered were VERY GRUMPY! ON the day we went, an archeologist was assessing bones that were brought in by visitors. The entrance to the museum was jam packed so I told my 6 year old grandson to hurry in so as not to impede traffic. I didn't realize he still had half a cookie in his hand and the gentleman at the door rudely told him no food was allowed. When I went to buy a t-shirt, I asked to see if they had any children's sizes and the women at the cashier did not acknowledge me. She also didn't speak while checking us out. I never understand why people who don't like children or people for that matter, work in customer service!!! Hopefully they weren't getting paid!

1  Thank Alicia E