“Beyond expectations”

Ashfall Fossil Beds State Historical Park
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Royal
More attraction details
Owner description: This archeological site, revealing prehistoric fossils, is a subdivision of the University of Nebraska State Museum
Reviewed 24 August 2017 via mobile

I planned to visit this site after viewing the eclipse and wasn't disappointed. In fact, this totally eclipsed the eclipse...

Reading the reviews, the park has definitely improved over the years and may have worked out most if not all of the limitations.

One thing I enjoyed was the exhibit didn't have voice overs. You had to read the description OR one of the employees/interns provided an explanation/interpretation and answered questions. It was like a sanctuary. Thank you, Ashfall Fossil Bed, for the total silence. It provided me with reverence for all that came before us and all that will follow, including you and me.

Date of experience: August 2017
"great information"
"picnic area"
"welcome center"

Reviewed 19 August 2017

The Ashfall Fossil Beds are a Nebraska State Park and designated as a national natural landmark. Visiting Ashfall is an opportunity to learn about and see animals most of never thought would have been here. The dig is located in a building and is actively being worked. We spoke to archelogy students while they were busy unearthing the fossils. There is a cost per person ($7) as well as for a one day pass to Nebraska State Parks ($8). Ashfall seems like it is very remote but roads are good and the place is easy to find. Highly recommend to anyone but especially familys.

Reviewed 17 August 2017

I am on my second generation of taking kids to Ashfall Park. The scenery is really pretty, the museum is VERY informative and it is interactive for kids of all ages. Including my 28 year old son who had his picture taken while riding the giant tortoise! The only reason I gave it a 5 is because the two staff we encountered were VERY GRUMPY! ON the day we went, an archeologist was assessing bones that were brought in by visitors. The entrance to the museum was jam packed so I told my 6 year old grandson to hurry in so as not to impede traffic. I didn't realize he still had half a cookie in his hand and the gentleman at the door rudely told him no food was allowed. When I went to buy a t-shirt, I asked to see if they had any children's sizes and the women at the cashier did not acknowledge me. She also didn't speak while checking us out. I never understand why people who don't like children or people for that matter, work in customer service!!! Hopefully they weren't getting paid!

Date of experience: August 2017
2  Thank Alicia E
Reviewed 22 July 2017

Plenty of signs on the farming roads to help you find this location. Was very interesting to see the fossil beds. People working in the rhino barn were very friendly and informative. Took lots of questions as they worked. The staff in the visitor center were also friendly too. Had our small dog with us. And she was allowed on he grounds with her leash. The kids (teens) liked it too. And that's saying something ;)

1  Thank Kmpenate
See more reviews
Reviewed 12 July 2017

If you want to see geology come to life, this is a good place to go. The visitor center was interesting and informative. There were two people looking for tiny fossils, who were available to answer questions. The large building was breathtaking! Interns spend the summer working here. There is another building where kids can dig for fossils. There are two short trails to hike. My husband, who is a geologist, was really hoping to take a closer look along the exposure. That trail is no longer open to the public. We enjoyed our picnic lunch in the pavilion before heading down the road.

Date of experience: July 2017

Been to Ashfall Fossil Beds State Historical Park? Share your experiences!