“Good 😊 place to spend the day or after work”

Lake Maloney State Recreation Area
Ranked #10 of 18 things to do in North Platte
Reviewed 11 April 2017 via mobile

Close to hiway town and the interstate. Easy access.

A good number of picnic table and area to have a picnic. Not just the the two main area. But a numbers of small open public area all around the lake.

Fish is good most time of the year. Inlet and out let good. The canel also.

Big u n s possible p

"picnicking"
"interstate"
"miles"

Reviewed 23 July 2016

This was easily one of the poorest campgrounds I've ever seen. There are two campgrounds in the State Recreational Area. One is "Primitive," and that campground houses the flush toilets and showers. The "RV Camping" area has pit toilets.

We choose a site overlooking a channel. There were a few lake sites in the RV Camping area, but they were all taken. Our site had no fire ring (the evidence of one was there, but it was gone) and no picnic table.

The camp host was non-existent, but given the number of rods and reels propped up against his picnic table, it was clear he was there for one reason, and "hosting" wasn't on that list.

Finally, finding the park can be difficult. When I called for a reservation I was told the park didn't "have an address."

During this trip we stayed in KOA's that were far nicer. State parks in Wisconsin, Minnesota, and South Dakota were FAR superior to this sad little park.

Unfortunately, I can't recommend this park at all. I would keep driving and find an RV park or another campground.

I provided a picture of the fire pit on another site.

1  Thank Voice1234
Reviewed 21 June 2016

We just visited for the day to fish. It was very nice,clean. We had a good time fishing where the lake meets the river. It was hot but its summer its supposed to be hot. I caught catfish, walleye, small mouth bass, and a drum. I had fun with my honey and cousin. We will definitely be back there again.

Reviewed 5 June 2016

Very friendly lady at the "office". It was $5 day pass, and an $8 tent camp pass. The lake itself had nice blue water. It was busier with boat and jet ski traffic than I imagined. There's a large damn on the North side. On the Rv camp side there were pay showers and flushing toilets :) there where a couple pit toilets other than that. There were a few swing sets for the 'Kids' too. I'd suggest a site closer to the lake because there is a local road that was kind of busy with noise. It was about 5 miles off of I-80. For a quick cheap stop I'd probably do it again.

See more reviews
Reviewed 19 September 2015

One of our planned activities on our Nebraska trip was a little fishing. The RV Park owner recommended Lake Maloney as a place to fish. He was so right. The first day took us to the east side of the lake. It was shaded well. We plopped a tarp on the beach, opened a beer, and started fishing. Fishing was slow, but I finally caught a hard fighting catfish. While releasing the fish, it was making a catlike sound. This was so cool. The next day we found a quiet little public cove on the west side between the private homes in the area. We sat on the dock and opened a beer. My traveling friend got a fish even before I could bait up.
My only gripe is the poor signage in the area. I was pointed down a private road that led nowhere while searching for the boat pavilion.
I do recommend fishing here. We might return someday.