All reviews champagne room carriage house wonderful cook favorite room top floor suite walking distance from great restaurants large living room house is beautiful b bs last chance gulch breakfast was delicious historic downtown tour train quiet residential neighborhood stayed longer stayed two nights highly recommend staying here
Reviewed 23 February 2018

This has to be the most beautiful mansion I have ever had the pleasure of staying in. The whole place makes you feel like you stepped back in time. All the rooms are so opulent, you will feel like you are thrown back to the golden age. Wonderful hostess as well with a great breakfast. This B&B is located in a nice quiet neighborhood but within walking distance of the downtown area.

Date of stay: August 2017
edity, Owner at The Carolina Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2018

Thank you so much for your review, I appreciate your time and certainly the wonderful comments. Sorry for my delay in expressing my appreciateion. It was a pleasure having you, the house is only a house, the guests are what make it great. Thanks so much.

Reviewed 20 February 2018

We could not have had a better day! Our room was perfect and our hostess Colleen treated us like old friends with incredible professionalism and hospitality. We are currently looking for excuses to sneak away to Helena and stay at the Carolina again!

Date of stay: February 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for this great review. I hope you do find an excuse to come back soon - I look forward to your next visit.
Again, many thanks.

Reviewed 27 November 2017 via mobile

My husband and I spent the last day of our vacation in Helena at the Carolina Bed & Breakfast. Colleen, the owner was an absolute wonderful host. She was so very welcoming and down to earth, we felt comfortable right away. The House was absolutely gorgeous! Ornate but beautiful at the same time. Lots of history there and a must stay in Helena.

Date of stay: October 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
edity, Owner at The Carolina Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2017

Thank you so much for your thoughtful review and all of the wonderful comments. It was my pleasure having you as guests. I hope to see you again. Again, thank you!

Reviewed 6 November 2017

This house is beautiful, the food was incredible, and the owner really went out of her way to accommodate us. We will stay there again for sure. Really can't say enough about how great our experience was.

Room tip: Anisette room was perfect for us.
Date of stay: July 2017
Trip type: Travelled with friends

I appreciate your review and want you to know that having you as guests of the Carolina was a treat for me. I look forward to your return visit, thank you so much!

Reviewed 25 October 2017

This was our family's 5th stay at the Carolina, Bed and Breakfast in Helena, Montana.

We have come alone, husband and wife, and we have come with up to 4 of our children. We discovered the Carolina 2.5 years ago, when we brought our son, a freshman, to Carroll College. We couldn't imagine staying anywhere else. We just returned home from a 3 day stay at the Carolina, and wished we could have stayed a week!

Usually, I dislike using superlatives and hyperbole, but the Carolina has earned every single one we can give. Without exaggerating, we simply love to stay at the Carolina.

Beginning with the home itself and its rooms, it is pure enchantment. This time we stayed in The Anniversary Room, and we loved every aspect including its: fireplace, oh-so-comfortable bed, deluxe linens, generous for two people shower :-) , ceiling fan, lovely lamps . . . just perfect ambience!

The rest of the house is simply delightful. The main room is like the loveliest tea room anywhere, (I am a bit of a self-proclaimed tea room expert), with varying sized tables to accommodate different sized parties. The tablecloths, dinnerware, salt/pepper shakers, cutlery, cups, all are beautiful with charming details, all set in front of a large fireplace.

And breakfasts . . . wow: goat cheese stuffed omelets, with sauteed mushrooms and fresh tomato garnishes, sour cream topped frittatas, breakfast meats, bacon/sausage grilled to perfection, hashed brown potatoes, and yummy, chilled fruit cups, and then all the hot coffee, tea, juice you could possibly want. As if that wasn't enough, several of us have celiac's disease, or gluten intolerances, and Colleen, worked very hard to cheerfully accommodate us, not just with the basics, eggs, and sausage, but she went to extra work and creative energy to still make something special for those of us who can't eat gluten and grains, thus the fluffy goat cheese and vegetable omelets.

Which brings me to perhaps The Carolina's best asset, wonderful, darling, innkeeper, Colleen, who could/should give all the lessons to the hospitality industry, of how to warmly welcome and pamper guests. Her secret, I believe, is that she genuinely cares for her guests. Knowledgeable, friendly, kind, with a great sense of humor, Colleen, has a impeccable timing, both respecting your privacy, but also knowing when to introduce guests and invite you to her delightful soiree's . . . it's like going back into time, to an epoch where the evenings one met with your community to discuss life, and share a goblet of wine while doing so.

We met wonderful guests, even sharing a lovely bottle of wine with them including guests from New Zealand, a retired football coach from Idaho, a lovely couple from California, and others. Colleen even gave our college age son, a thoughtful invitation to join us for breakfast, a welcome relief from dorm food, also giving us a little more time with him.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention The Carolina's beautiful sun room otherwise known as her "winter garden", possibly my favorite room in the whole house. As my husband, who is recovering from a stroke, napped, I sat in this beautiful, light-filled room, toasty warm on a blustery, quite cool day, and happily read my book. In this room, Colleen has thought of everything . . . with lap quilts, easily accessible tea, coffee, cookies, and nuts. I could have stayed there for hours.

If you come to Helena, Montana, don't miss the opportunity to step back in time and treat yourself to The Carolina Bed and Breakfast's "Impossible to Beat" ambiance, food, and second-to-none hospitality. Brava Colleen!

Room tip: We have loved every single room we stayed in on 5 separate occasions. Anniversary Room is great if you struggle to negotiate stairs.
Date of stay: October 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Stephanie and Peter,
You are like family to me. I look forward to each and every visit. You have an amazing family and I feel lucky to have met several of the children and grandchildren. Thank you so much for this very thoughtful and gracious review.