“Improved, but still only average”
Review of Cafe Italia

Cafe Italia
Ranked #247 of 359 Restaurants in Billings
Price range: USD 12 - USD 20
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Description: An authentic italian restaurant located on the Historic Montana Avenue in Billings, MT.
Reviewed 31 October 2017

This was once one of the best restaurants in town; today, it's good, with personality. Still not special. I was excited to return four years ago after a remodel and new chef. I haven't been back--until now.

The menu has expanded and there are some very nice dishes. I enjoyed a Veal Picatta, lady friend a Shrimp Alfredo. Beginning with hers, it was very flavorful and a nice garlic flavor. Nice shrimp and a nice sized meal.

Mine was also very tasty, but not quite expected. To begin, the veal appeared to be a frozen cut, commercially breaded. Not a problem, as it was tender and flavorful--and veal is hard to get. But, it was essentially floating in a broth with a few noodles under. It should be noted that the noodles appeared to be hand-cut and the broth was flavorful, but nearly drowned the meat.

The meal began with a nice plate of warm herbed bread with an oil & vinegar dredge. A reasonable wine selection at reasonable prices was appreciated.

My comments from five years ago suggested skipping the desserts; my opinion holds. The "tiramisu" was what they used to refer to as deconstructed; ingredients dipped out on cookies. The flavors were better than I remember, with a wonderful coffee flavor, but it's still not tiramisu.

This is a pleasant little neighborhood restaurant in a popular part of town. If you're in the area, there's nothing wrong here. But, there are better options if your goal is excellent Italian food.

Price: Two meals, two glasses of wine, one shared dessert=$65

Reviewed 28 October 2017 via mobile

We went here on a slow Friday evening. We had two waitresses (3 if you count the child following the woman around who gave us plates) one of which I'm presuming was the owner. Family atmospheres are great; but this was more of an upscale place, and I just wanted a romantic dinner with my spouse. Food was ok, get the special or you may not get what you order. My husband ordered a wine sauce, and it was all cheese. I think we will stick with Olive Garden.

Reviewed 23 September 2017 via mobile

What a disappointment! First time we've tried this place and it will be the last time, as well. Service was ridiculously slow. Both servers were running around like they were overwhelmed. It wasn't even busy. Took 20 minutes until our server took our drink order (brought us the wrong drink, too). Another 15 minutes until our order was taken. By this time, 2 other couples had gotten up and left. The complementary bread was steaming hot. Literally. It was a spongy sourdough. Yuck.
Our salad were brought out and served warm. Garden salad, warm, with brown lettuce and cucumbers.
We both had chicken dishes. The chicken was a frozen breast with premade grill marks and was pretty bland. I love garlic, but the sauce was so overpowering I couldn't eat it. We left over half our meals. I almost laughed when asked if I wanted a box.
The only bright spot was the filtered ice water. Good stuff.

Reviewed 8 September 2017 via mobile

We called for reservations but they were closed Weds so left a message and got a call back Thurs and decided to give it a try we arrived the place was empty noticed they had a full bar so thought we would start with some bruschetta and drinks the waitress very nicely states they do not have any bread today . It's 5:30 pm and they just opened I'm thinking this is an Italian Resto what no bread. We asked some questions about the meatballs are they homemade she said no, we asked if they make there own ravioli she said no we are thinking well maybe a drink from the bar and we will look over the menu. We ordered an Amaretto sour the waitress said they were out . I said you are killing me. We politely excused ourselves and went and ate the best Cajun food I've had since I left Louisiana. Check out Cafe Zydeco 1/2 a block down

Reviewed 15 January 2017

A quiet and cozy place. We found the service and food to be very good. The bread was freshly made and melted in your mouth. Yum! I enjoyed the lasagna & soup while others had chicken & veal dishes with salads. The Cafe offered a nice selection of spirits too. We found the prices to be typical of meal & locale. I will go back!

Been to Cafe Italia? Share your experiences!