“Not a Birthday to remember”
Review of Tong's Thai

Tong's Thai
Ranked #133 of 736 Restaurants in Springfield
Cuisines: Thai
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

We selected Tong’s for a Birthday dinner based on recommendations and reviews. The food was above average but the service was much below. We made a reservation a week out then waited 5 minutes once we entered seeing several employees but never greeted. Finally, a man came and asked how many. We mentioned the reservation and his tone changed. Once we were seated-(waiting for a 4th person to join us) we waited another 5 minutes after he arrived to even place a drink order.

We ordered the combination appetizer which was pretty good. Please avoid the Tom Kha Kai soup. It almost ruined the meal. I couldn’t even begin to finish it

All four of us ordered the Crispy Duck which was overdone.

Water was finally refilled, but our regular ice tea was never offered.

My wife mentioned the birthday. The server dropped off our bill and never offered dessert. He was gone so fast

Very disappointing experience. We will not return.

Reviewed 9 March 2018

It was average. Not great, but not bad. When I see someone say this is the best Thai in Springfield they apparently have not tried anywhere else. We went here because it was closer to where we needed to be and it had decent reviews, but I would venture to try somewhere else next time or go back to the ones that we know are excellent. Unfortunately there are so many other Thai options it's not good enough just to be average. We would eat here again if someone else wanted to go, but we probably will not be going back on our own.

Reviewed 26 January 2018

Not in our part of town, but we will definitely be back. We went because we were picking up a gift certificate for friends, and am so glad we went. It was early on a week night, so there wasn't crowded, but there were several tables occupied. After our dinner, we were the only ones left, and Tong came over and talked to us for quite a while. He is very entertaining and interesting. The decor is authentic, and historical. You can even see the King of Siam. But besides that, the food we had was delicious and plentiful. My husband ate all of his, trying a number of sauces. I am less adventuresome, but mine was delicious (I had a HUGE portion of chicken fried rice). The chicken was tender, and there was lots of it. I had at least half my dish to take home, and it was delicious the next day, too. We are already talking about our next trip to Tong's Thai.

Reviewed 22 December 2017

Tong is a fun owner to talk to and makes great Thai food. His staff does a good job taking care of their customers. He also is connected to several orphanages in Thailand and makes regular trips to help his kids and to make donations of food, money, etc to them.

Reviewed 19 October 2017 via mobile

Been to Tong’s many times, serves good food. Like their noodle dishes more than their fried rice. Mango with sticky rice is good, lettuce wrap is meh!