“Use Caution! Nothing "American" about it.”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of American Inn

American Inn
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Sedalia
Troy, Missouri
“Use Caution! Nothing "American" about it.”
Reviewed 4 February 2012

I booked a room at the American Inn for one night via Hotwire in late October, 2011. In early February, 2012 I received an email from Hotwire stating that there may have been a change in the hotel's amenities - specifically that they could no longer guarantee that the rooms were non-smoking. When I called the hotel directly to check on our reservation and request a non-smoking room, I was asked to call back in half an hour because she was outside the hotel and could not access their reservation system. I called back about an hour later and this time she took my name, phone number and date of stay. She again said she was still outside and would call me later. After 6 or 7 more hours and no phone call, I called back that evening hoping to get someone that would take a minute or two and look into my reservation. I was told that there was no reservation under my name and that all their rooms were currently booked for that date. When I explained that I had made my reservation on Hotwire months prior to this and that I had my confirmation number printed and in front of me, she said the hotel had "changed ownership" in December. Apparently no one thought to look into the existing reservations and make sure they were kept intact??? Normally this would have just been a minor inconvenience and I would have booked another room, but this happened to be for the week of the National BMW Motorcycle Owners Association Rally with thousands of riders converging on this relatively small town. Needless to say, there were no other rooms available anywhere in the vicinity. Since we did not actually make it to the hotel I cannot comment on the rooms, but I can tell you that the customer service here is severely lacking in my opinion. No offer to call me back if they had a cancellation, no "I'm sorry for the inconvenience" although she did tell me that I could call THEM back again to check if any rooms had become available. It's called common courtesy, people!!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank DSL_Troy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Kansas City, Kansas
Reviewed 21 September 2011

I have stayed at this motel many times over the years while in sedalia. I have never encountered bugs, roaches, ants, hair, or whatever else anyone saw. It is an average room and very quiet. I have travled many times and stayed in many motels and have seen some really dirty places. The location is good and the owners are very friendly. I am not related nor have I ever worked for them. The airconditioner worked and so did internet. It puzzles me about these revies since I have stayed here so often. Its not the hilton but its a place to stay.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank quiet65
Saint Peters, Missouri
Reviewed 18 August 2011

This was by far the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. It was dirty and not taken care of. The rooms smelled aweful and the walls looked like a crime scene. I would never stay there again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Brower85

Travellers are raving about these Sedalia hotels

MO
Reviewed 24 August 2010

The most recent reviews of this hotel are right on! This place is disgusting! I am originally from the area, so I was skeptical to begin with. However, their website indicated the hotel had been remodeled. They do have a neat website, but don't be fooled. The pictures are very deceiving! This hotel has NOT been remodeled. In our room, I think maybe the toilet & sink were new. But that's it. Everything is so dirty. I felt just completely awful sleeping on the rough sheets & I didn't even want to use the blanket that was from the 70's. I booked a non-smoking room, but got a smoking one. So it stunk. It took 10 minutes of work to get the bathroom light to come on. The carpet was disgusting--I would not walk barefoot in there. The towels were small, thin & dirty looking.

We only stayed one night while going to the State Fair. It was the only hotel that still had rooms left. Now I know why. I was never so eager to get home & wash the "American Inn gunk" off me. I felt like I smelled like that place all day. Nasty!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Perrier
Reviewed 18 August 2010

We had a 4 night stay beginning Aug 9th, 2010. Light fixtures were very dusty upon arrival--after I wrote "wash me" in the dust, it was fixed the next day. Staff were very stingy with towels/wash cloths (3 small bath towels, 2 washcloths/day) for a 2 Queen Bed room. Only day shampoo packet was left in room was first day. One tiny bar of soap on first day---never received another one. Shower wouldn't drain---pulled a huge gob of hair out of the drain. Daily outdoor temps were 100 degrees yet air conditioner had been turned off completely when we returned to our rooms in the afternoon each day. TV very difficult to turn on--flicked on and off. Rooms were $55/night for 3 nights then suddenly $140/night for first night of State Fair. Certainly expected more for the money--seemed like wanted to spend as little money on customers/service as possible. Our room did not appear to be remodeled as quoted in hotel guide--very small bathtub, sink falling off wall.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank marymaude
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sedalia
2.0 km away
26.9 km away
Laci's Country Inn
Laci's Country Inn
#1 of 2 in Knob Noster

Been to American Inn? Share your experiences!