“Sunday Chicken Dinner is AMAZING! Like something your southern Grandma would serve for Sunday dinner!”

The Lemp Mansion Restaurant
Ranked #427 of 3,077 Restaurants in Saint Louis
Price range: USD 1 - USD 20
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Benton Park
Reviewed 1 September 2015

I've always thought of the Lemp Mansion as a murder mystery dinner theater location or somewhere that ghost hunters enjoy visiting. As I was searching for a great place to eat fried chicken at the request of my 8 year-old birthday girl, I discovered that the Lemp Mansion serves a family-style chicken dinner on Sundays. We called ahead and made reservations, and were seating promptly upon our arrival. The waitstaff was dressed nicely in black suits and ties. The historic home is very interesting, and the grounds are beautiful. We were quickly served. I ordered an iced tea, and it was wonderful. Many times restaurant iced tea can taste stale or as though it were made from concentrate. This was NOT the case. The meal is served family style, and our table could barely hold our 4 plates, drinks and all the food. We were served fresh, homemade fried chicken (this stuff was definitely not out of the freezer!), roast beef, ham with a pineapple glaze, mashed potatoes and gravy, hot biscuits and hushpuppies, green beans in a yummy gravy/sauce, corn, cole slaw (wonderful!), a tomato, onion and cucumber salad and stewed cinnamon apples. The apples were like the best pie filling you've ever eaten -so delicious! I told my husband that this is what you imagine your old, Southern Grandma would fix you for Sunday dinner! It was $17 per person, but this was a bargain. It was wonderful, and refills were available, although we couldn't finish what they brought us. You cannot take home any doggie bags (much to my disappointment), so enjoy it while you're there!

2  Thank Cheryl S

Reviewed 3 August 2015

Let me start by saying this is really 3 different places to eat. The first is a dinner theatre which is a parody on an old Western. The second is a room for group dinners, and the third an eating area for those wishing to have a quiet dinner in a historic mansion. We were looking for the last, and thought it was an interesting evening. We were met and seated, (with a reservation) in a few minutes. Waiter came over with menus and drink orders. He was dressed in black and white which lead us to believe this was a more than casual place to eat........wrong. Those already seated were wearing shorts, t-shirts, flip flops and one man thought wearing a baseball hat while he ate was ok. The overall feel and look of the old mansion was what we were hoping for, but the noise from the show, and those seated around us made it less than a special night that we were hoping for. The waiter never bothered to ask if everything was ok until we were finished and given the bill, about 45 minutes too late to ask that question. The food was average, nothing special about the veal or chicken, although the service from the assistant server was top notch, she was a real pro. So, cant say it was a bad dinner, just not what we were hoping for.

Reviewed 31 July 2015

I came here as the owner of Haunted Heartland Tours and with the possibility of having this offered as a stay over haunted location for my tours. I was not let down. The food was amazing, the bartenders were most helpful and the gift shop attendant was very knowledgeable in the history of the area and of the Lemp family. A must visit for lunch or dinner! Or if its ghosts you want, book a room upstairs and dare to rest easy. (the rooms are beautiful- you will love it!)

Reviewed 20 July 2015

A bit on the expensive side, but totally worth it for the excellent food and unique, historic atmosphere. I was taken here for my birthday dinner and I enjoyed very single minute of it!

Reviewed 1 July 2015

Fun place to go as a couple but especially with a group. Had a ton of fun for a christmas party with our friends