“Nice lunch”

Price range: USD 1 - USD 20
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Benton Park
Reviewed 25 June 2015

We used a Groupon and had lunch today. The restaurant has an elegance about it, situated in the mansion itself. I had the Cuban Meatloaf sandwich, which was very tasty and large enough to take home half for dinner and my husband had the grilled chicken dinner, served with veggies and fruit. He said it was very tasty. A nice touch was yummy pretzel rolls. We also had the day's soup offering: white bean chicken chili, which was delicious. My only surprise was the automatic addition of 20% gratuity. I wonder if that is standard with a Groupon? ?? Anyway, I personally don't like being told what I must tip. Food and service was great though.

Reviewed 14 June 2015 via mobile

This is our 3rd visit and probably our last. I just didn't want to give up on this wonderful place. I remember coming here 20 years or so ago and it was a fabulous upscale restaurant. It has gone down hill. If you are going to charge upscale prices on your food, you need to serve a quality food.
They brought out bread. It looked like the bake and serve rolls.
We both shared a order of homemade toasted raviolis, yes they were homemade, but they did not look even close to St. Louis style. They were some kind of meat rolled into a log, breaded and fried. You received 5 of these for $10.00. Not at all worth it. I've had better tasting ones from the freezer.
I wanted to order the Beef Wellington, but was told I could only receive it medium or medium well. For Beef Wellington? I was surprised. My best guess for this is that they are precooked, frozen and reheated. That is why they cannot served it below a medium. Disappointing. We both ordered the Steak Charles. My steak was cooked wonderfully and was very tender. That is the only positive thing I can say about the meal. The steak had this soggy breading on it and the sauce was so salty that I had to scrape it off to eat the steak. It came with twice bake potato and mixed veggies. Sounds easy enough, right? You would have never guessed it was a twice bake potato. I don't think you would have guess that it was a potato at all. It was a brown crusty disk. It looked like it have been sitting under a heat lamp for a few days. There was very little potato that was not dried it to eat. The veggies consisted of yellow and green squash and 1 piece of cauliflower. I have to assume that they started out fresh because my cauliflower was raw. The squash again looked like it was sitting under a heat lamp for days. My husband received 1 green bean with his veggies.
We used a Groupon and with our order. Our bill should have been $10.00 with tax. But our bill came and it was over $27.00. I could not figure out why. It was because they added the tip to the bill. We were never informed of this. So read your bill very carefully. You could be tipping twice.
I do recommend coming to see the mansion and visit the museum. Well worth the trip.
I have always wanted to do the dinner theater and the Sunday fried chicken. I may do that someday, but not anytime soon.

Reviewed 7 June 2015

While waiting for our table, we ordered drinks in the bar which were served in plastic cups! That should have been our first clue. At our table, our waiter seemed to be serving to many tables because he paid little attention to us. As for the food, we ordered dinner salads. I ate some of mine but couldn't finish it because it was drenched in dressing. Waiter asked if he could bring me another, but by then I was turned off to the salad idea. Our steaks were well prepared. However, the steak was accompanied by a lukewarm twice baked potato and luke warm and very plain carrots/broccoli mix. I did like the pretzel bread an flavored butter.

We were going to order dessert but by the time the waiter got around to our table, we were too disgusted to order and wait. I expect better for the price.

Reviewed 4 June 2015 via mobile

I have fond memories of Lemp Mansion so decided to take my teen daughter for lunch. The garden and grounds are very beautiful.They would be lovely for an event.
Our waiter was very nice and welcoming.
The a mansion itself is just gorgeous and it was fun to look around.
Our actual lunch, however, was just awful. The French fries had been fried in the same oil as fish and tasted strongly of fish. (Not a fan) I ordered a prosperity sandwich. Turkey and undercooked bacon with cheese sauce that was the same squirt cheese you'd put on ballpark nachos, then a piece of cheese was melted in top. Really not edible.
Sorry Lemp, very nice staff, lots if interesting history and ghosts, but you killed my appetite.

Reviewed 18 May 2015

We went to the mystery theatre dining experience "A Fistful of Hollers" and we had a wonderful time. The mansion itself is a wonderful venue - the outside is lovely and very welcoming for somewhere that's supposed to be haunted. Once inside we had access to a few rooms to wait for our dining room to open up - the bar, the gift shop / museum, and other dining rooms. Inside there is something "off" about the mansion. It has a gorgeous interior and you can see how it would have been quite luxurious in its time. The rooms were full with other events, but the whole place seemed still. It wasn't off putting at all, but knowing the history and knowing that some people stay there, it is not somewhere that I would want to spend the night -- too spooky.

As for our dining experience we were part of a large group and we were seated in a dining room with another large party and two smaller parties. The participation level in the mystery varied. It seemed to me that the actors were watching for the more outgoing members to give "lead" roles and although everyone got a part, not everyone participated, so I'm sure that if you're uncomfortable with that kind of thing you could decline or ask for something small. The show surpassed my expectations - I was expecting something really lame and corny, and make no mistake it was corny, but it was really funny. The whole thing is ridiculous and we had a hilarious time participating. The pacing is such that you start off with an intro and then as the show progresses you get a salad, entree, and then dessert in between acts so you're watching/participating at differing times than when you're eating. The foods was fine, nothing outstanding - a salad with a very heavy mayo-based dressing, fried chicken with green beans and potatoes, and chocolate cheesecake for dessert. Wine was offered as well as soft drinks.

Overall the evening was very enjoyable and it made me want to return to the Lemp Mansion for a "regular" meal. One note about parking: there is a small parking lot next to the mansion, but it was full by 6:00pm on a Saturday. Street parking is available, but be sure to feed the meters!