“a classic and not expensive”
Review of Steak 'n Shake

Steak 'n Shake
Ranked #1,655 of 3,236 Restaurants in Saint Louis
Price range: USD 0 - USD 20
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours
Description: Steak 'n Shake, a classic American brand, was founded in 1934 in Normal, Illinois by Gus Belt who pioneered the concept of premium burgers and milkshakes. For over 80 years, the company's name has been symbolic of its heritage. The word "steak" stood for steakburger. The term "shake" stood for hand-dipped milkshakes. Gus was determined to serve his customers the finest burgers and shakes in the business. Today, Steak 'n Shake remains the "better burger" leader, serving premium 100% beef steakburgers, hand-dipped milkshakes, thin crispy fries, and more. Steakburgers are made without preservatives or artificial ingredients, topped with fresh produce, and always hand-crafted to order. Other classics include the Frisco Melt, 7x7, Prime Steakburgers, and fan favorite M&M milkshakes.
Reviewed 18 June 2018

One of my all time favorites. It's just hard to beat their double steak burger fries and chili. Toss in a real chocolate malt and you have a great meal for a little money.

Reviewed 30 October 2017

Ate here while visiting family in St Louis. First trip was for lunch. Service on this trip was terrible. Waitress brought shake to us that had obviously been sitting out for 10+ Minutes as it was nothing but runny ice cream. The cookie dough shake had no cookie dough in it. Did not pay for the shakes. The burgers and fries were good. Ate here for breakfast. They were very under staffed. The guy that cooked our food served it to us. He was very friendly and nice. The waiter/manager was ok, not much speed to him. Very unhappy customers in the restaraunt at the time. The breakfast was average. I ate breakfast at a different location a year ago and it was absolutely amazing. Was not impressed this trip.

Reviewed 29 September 2017

I just went through drive-through at the Kirkwood Steak 'n' Shake and not five minutes after leaving with my order, opened my sack of . . . COLD STEAK BURGERS & COLD, TOUGH FRENCH FRIES!!!! French fries are not supposed to be chewy.

THIS PLACE IS HORRIBLE . . . I thought I'd give it a try . . . as I am a hopeless optimist and hoped against hope that this location might have improved . . . although I did not think it could possibly get worse . . . it has!

I don't know who is managing this place . . . probably no one . . . but Corporate Offices need to check up on this location . . . it gives all Steak 'n' Shakes a bad name . . . I just spent over $9 on a food that was inedible . . . oh yes . . . the chocolate shake was about 1/4 whipped cream . . . made it look a lot taller than it was . . . great if you want a cup full of whipped cream . . . I thought I was getting a milk shake topped with whipped cream (no cherry!) . . . what I got was mostly whipped cream and very little shake . . . what a miserable experience . . . oh yes, their idea of a receipt is a mere listing of the food in your to go sack . . . not a dollar amount listed anywhere . . . since when is this a receipt???

Reviewed 12 September 2017

Spent 15 minutes at the register before someone sauntered over to take my to-go order. During the following 20 minutes before they finally handed me food, one person came in complaining of a cold burger he waited 15 minutes in the drive-thru for, and another came in having ordered online, but was still waiting after I'd left. The Fresco Melt had American cheese instead of Swiss, they shorted me on the fries as well as the side salad I'd asked for, had to look in the bag to see if they'd forgotten a fork, which they had, and didn't get the ranch dressing for the salad, either. As I said to another customer, also waiting, we could have gone elsewhere and eaten by the time we were served.

Reviewed 12 September 2017

food was good, but the service was poor. dining room was not too busy, but took a while to be seated. While we were there, 3 tables walked out because of the wait to be seated. I will think twice before I choose this restaurant again