“Great!”

Ranked #60 of 3,115 Restaurants in Saint Louis
Price range: USD 0 - USD 20
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch
Description: Providing delicious old-fashioned sodas and a great, family-friendly dining experience in the historic Delmar Loop. Open everyday at 11 a.m.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Fast service, great food, good prices, we even bought a 24 count of mixed flavors of drinks. We recommend the bottomless mugs so you can try all of the different flavors.

Amber A, Manager at Fitz's, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2018

Thank you for your support! The "Build Your Own Case" is the way to go, especially with 19 soda flavors to choose from. So glad to hear that you enjoyed your visist and we thank you for your business! --Fitz's Management.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,028)

Reviewed 4 April 2018

I love this place. Been going since I was a kid. The bottling line (usually seems to be running on weekends) has never ceased to amaze me. If I remember right, someone once told me it's from the 1940's and is still running like a gem.

The food is classic american cuisine, burgers & fries to start but there's also some great options for those who aren't in the mood for a burger. I'm a meat eater all the way, but my wife doesn't eat beef or pork and says that both the Black Bean Burger and the Veggie Burger are tops.

The floats here are a true thing of BEAUTY! A frosted mug filled to brim with freshly made soda and topped with a mountain of ice cream and an array of toppings (depending on which you order. sorry folks, I don't think you can build your own float - but I've never asked!) They are not only picturesque, but MMMM MMMM MMMM delicious!

The service here is also always top notch. I really don't know how they do it. I went in a few weeks ago for lunch on a Saturday. I know from experience that it would be slammed and there'd most likely be a wait. Sure enough there was, but it's well worth it! After waiting 40 minutes for a quoted 1 Hour long wait we were sat. Our server, who was clearly very very busy, still took the time to tell us of new menu offerings and even let us sample a few sodas we hadn't tried before.

I worked in the service industry for years and I'm always impressed by their ability to perform so well with that much going on.

Will be back!

Amber A, Manager at Fitz's, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2018

Thank you so much for your glowing review, Jack! So glad to hear that you have been a long-time fan, and we want you to know that we really appreciate your business. You are right that it is an antique bottling line from the 1940's. It was actually found in a barn in Shawano, Wisconsin, and then installed at Fitz's after being completely refurbished. Even though she's an antique, the bottling line still turns out a bottle every second, which is about 28,800 bottles a day.

As for the floats, our dairy bartenders take a lot of pride in creating picture-perfect desserts, and they love to hear how much customers enjoy them. We never tire of seeing people take pictures, or awe in amazement when a server walks by with a tray full of beautiful floats. You can always customize your float by substituting for a different soda, ice cream, or even switching out toppings.

We are very pleased to hear that you received great service and that even though the restaurant was full, you still felt taken care of. Weekends, especially, get very busy, but it is important to us that our guests have a great dining experience and feel valued. Thank you again for choosing to dine with us, and for taking the time to review us. We look forward to your next visit to Fitz's.

---Fitz's Management.

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

If you like root beer you’d be a fool not to go. Every type of root beer you can think of. Place serves food too but we were there for the delicious root beer floats. Mine was almost too big

Amber A, Manager at Fitz's, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2018

So glad to hear that you enjoyed your Root Beer Float! Thank you for taking the time to review us, and come back and see us again! --Fitz's Management.

Reviewed 30 March 2018

While visiting St. Louis, we tried to hit some iconic eateries. We were so excited about root beer at Fitz's, We were told it was "about" a 30 minute wait, which turned into 45+ because, we overheard, our family (6) was large so other got seated first. Right away, some of the kids ordered root beers; others announced they'd have root beer floats as dessert. Much later (after others who were seated afterwards had already been served), our food arrived - WITHOUT any drinks (which we were told were temporarily out). Despite watching many tables get served drinks, we ate our (cold-ish) food without drinks. Only about 15 minutes after we were finished did the server finally bring the "bottomless" root beers. I reminded him that the others wanted to order floats, and that took another 20 minutes or so (we hadn't seen the server since placing our order initially so we had no chance to speed this up). When he brought those, he offered to bring a pitcher of water. I asked about refills on the "bottomless" root beers, and apparently I misunderstood because it seemed like that was a ridiculous request. Oh, and I myself had ordered coffee when we first were seated, which I never did get. I know the place has a great reputation, and the root beer was outstanding from the sip I stole from a kid's drink, but what's the point of "bottomless" mugs that aren't served until dinner is over and can't get refilled without grovelling? As a single mother of 6, I'm pretty budget-conscious. The mugs and floats were a splurge, but instead, we ended up with a $100+ bill to enjoy a few swallows of the famous root beer only long after dinner was done. Maybe it was our server, maybe it was the fact that we ARE a large family and this place isn't family friendly, or maybe it was just a bad coincidence of events, but after wasting 2.5 hours, we left feeling thirsty, disappointed, and scammed.

Amber A, Manager at Fitz's, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2018

Thank you for taking the time to review us. Your feedback is very important to us and I am deeply saddened to hear that you had a disappointing dining experience. Especially sad to hear that you left feeling scammed and thirsty! At Fitz's, we are known for being busy on weekends and anytime school is out for a holiday. Although we try to staff accordingly, sometimes we miss the mark, and this is an occasion where we really missed the mark. Even though we were understaffed, it is no excuse for poor service. First, food should never arrive before drinks, and I am incredibly sorry that you had to wait so long for a beverage, and then again for your floats. This is not the type of service that we strive to provide and I would like to know more about your visit so that we can take steps to make sure this doesn't happen again. If you would like to email me directly at amber@fitzsrootbeer.com with any additional information I would appreciate it. Again, I sincerely apologize for any frustration. We pride ourselves on being a family-friendly establishment, and we do take this seriously. On the plus side, I am glad to hear that you liked the root beer, and I hope we get the chance to make it right. --Fitz's Management.

Reviewed 26 March 2018

We had a long day of adventure at the St. Louis Zoo and skipped lunch so by the time we arrived at 3 pm, we were famished.
It only took about ten minutes to get a seat, they were packed and to be fair we could have had one a few minutes earlier but my sister had just had ankle surgery and couldn't walk up stairs.
Our drink order was taken right away and the server was very kind.
While waiting for your food you even get to watch them bottle soda from the dining room.
Three people in my party ordered floats and I ordered a shake.
Our food came before the floats and shake, there was only one young man working the drink bar for the entire restaurant. That was fine with me since it was more for dessert per say.
I had the BLT with an egg and my son the chicken strips and the S'more float.
The food and float.shake were FANTASTIC. We even purchased some 4 packs of soda to bring back to the hotel.

Amber A, Public Relations Manager at Fitz's, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2018

Thank you so much for taking the time to review us and for making Fitz's a part of your day out in St. Louis. Happy to hear that you enjoyed your meal and desserts, and even took some soda home with you! Your son made a great choice with the S'mores float. It is one of my favorites! We hope we get the chance to serve you again.