“Excellent French cuisine in a city with a French heritage”
Review of Chez Leon - CLOSED

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Central
Reviewed 8 December 2012

Well, it isn't Paris, but the food is quite good. Reminded me of eating in a French bistro, if I used my imagination. Bouillabaise recommended.

Reviewed 2 July 2012

Chez Leon closed this Spring, and I'm not surprised. The food had become very disappointing to mediocre at best.

Reviewed 28 May 2012

Feels like a little bit of France and Leon is a gracious host.

Reviewed 27 May 2012

My wife and I finally bit on the Groupon for Chez Leon. If I did not have the groupon I would have been extremely upset, with the groupon I was mildly displeased. The decor is cliche French restaurant. The food, while not bad, does not warrant the > $50 per plate ala carte price. It seemed that much of the food was frozen and not fresh. Nothing about the meal was impressive and I could not recommend the restaurant. If I wanted to pay this sort of price for a meal I would much rather go to the grill in the Ritz Carlton.

1  Thank STL_MO_Traveler
Reviewed 29 April 2012

This was our first trip to Chez Leon. The restaurant is located in Clayton, in a rather nondescript downtown store front. We had a reservation through OpenTable and were seated immediately on a not too busy Wednesday night. Waitstaff was plentiful (Kris took good care of us, but he was not overly friendly) and the restaurant is beautifully decorated.

I ordered the beef filet with tarragon sauce, while my husband had the pork chops (both items had fancy French names, but since the menu changes daily, I can't recall what they were). My steak was wonderful, although a tad bit cool and undercooked for a "medium" order. The tarragon butter sauce was to die for and I really enjoyed it. The pork chops were served to my husband with a cherry pecan sauce. I loved the sauce, but the pork chops were a bit too salty. As I explained to my hubby, I think the sweet, tart cherry sauce is designed to offset the saltiness of the pork. However, if you eat them separately, I'm not sure you derive the culinary benefit. The potato side dish was very good, and the fresh vegetables and rolls were fresh and tasty. Since we started with the French onion soup (at $9 per bowl, I jokingly asked my husband if he knew how much soup I could make at home for $18?), we were somewhat full so we skipped dessert.

Overall, this was a pleasant experience, but due the menu price, we are not sure we'd return. The Groupon was a great savings, ($30 for $60 worth of food), but we still spent $55 on dinner and that was minus alcohol (we both had ice tea) and dessert.