“Cafe Madeleine is a winner!”
Review of Cafe Madeleine

Cafe Madeleine
Ranked #413 of 3,181 Restaurants in Saint Louis
Cuisines: American, French, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Buffet, Reservations
Description: Every Sunday year-round, guests can enjoy brunch in a setting unlike any other brunch in the area. Constructed in 1878, the Palm House is the oldest standing greenhouse west of the Mississippi River and the most historically significant building in Tower Grove Park. Dining amid beautiful plants and historic statues provides a relaxing atmosphere and an excellent way to wrap up the weekend. Where else can you enjoy a wonderful brunch, read European newspapers and conclude your experience with a carriage ride through the Park?The French inspired menu changes a little every Sunday, but has something to suit everyone’s taste. Each week the café features an omelet station, cold salads, soup du jour, warm entrees, and a tempting dessert display. Of course our dessert display includes our namesake item, the traditional French Madeleine. Café Madeleine also offers a variety of beverages ranging from coffee drinks to fresh squeezed orange juice, mimosas to mixed drinks.
Reviewed 5 June 2017

I'd never been to Cafe Madeleine, although I had seen "action" around the Palm House in Tower Grove Park. I was fortunate enough to partake in a brunch there this past Sunday.

Parking was surprisingly easy and so was seating. We arrived just prior to 11:30 with no reservation and were seating outside. They have a white tent that protects you from the sun and a potential interaction with any one of the many birds flying around. Fortunately, we had a nice breeze and a wonderful view of the park grounds as well.

The food is amazing. There are several types of salad and fruit, and then at the other end of the buffet provides all of the more substantial offerings. They had an amazing breakfast casserole, which was sitting next to some of the best bacon I've ever tasted! I went back for seconds.

I also tried their roast beef and their chicken. Each were very flavorful and so tender; rare for a buffet setting.

There is also a breakfast set-up with made to order omelettes, waffles and bread pudding. The chef had trouble keeping the waffles stocked in the heating pan, as they were gone as soon as he made them. I was questioning why they didn't have more than one waffle maker, but I digress. BTW... I'm not a bread pudding fan, but this stuff was pure pleasure. Try it!

Last, but not least, was the dessert area which sits in the middle of the buffet. It too was a feast for the eyes. I didn't try all of the desserts, as I was full. Of course, you have to try the madeleine!

I gave this a very good rating, as I thought the price of the buffet was a bit high at $25.50 per person. While it was delicious, I don't know if I would return again at that price. Also, several times we had to remove our own plates, so that we could return to the buffet, as the waiter was absent most of the time.

Lastly, I was a bit put off by the fact that the payment process required you to stand next to the register and THEN, you are provided the option of a tip of 18%, 20% or 25%. I felt a bit pressured to tip above 15%, even though I didn't think the service was that great.

However, it is a nice way to celebrate, share a brunch and soak in the amazing space in Tower Grove Park. They have indoor and outdoor seating. If it's nice out, I would suggest sitting outside so you can enjoy the view as well!

Reviewed 14 April 2017

Not many people even know about Cafe Madeleine. It is pretty special for a couple of reasons. It is in Tower Grove Park, one of the oldest parks west of the Mississippi, and the grounds are just beautiful.
It is only open for Sunday brunch.
and is housed in a historical green house.
Reservations are required, the space is large and there is enough room that you don't feel crowded at all.
The food is very nice and there are many items to choose from.
Each time I've been here it has been quite satisfying. I'd encourage people to dine here, even once.

1  Thank saharadweller
Reviewed 26 December 2016

I have a brunch-club that gets together for brunch once a month at a different location each month and we've been to Madeleine at least half a dozen times in recent years. I remember it being very good the first few times, then it seemed to fade a bit and we skipped it for a couple of years. We've gone back recently and found it to be restored to its earlier level of quality. There is an omelet station and a nice buffet style brunch with a good assortment of meat entrees, salads, fruit, desserts and other choices. As with most brunches are a bit pricey ($25.00 here), but the service is usually very good and the atmosphere is very nice. You can also take a stroll around Tower Grove Park, right outside, to get some exercise after you eat too much!

Reviewed 17 October 2016 via mobile

Our family group of 20 from ages 4 months to 80 (5 little children included) enjoyed a wonderful brunch at the Cafe Madelaine at the Piper Palm House. We celebrated our granddaughter's baptism in this light, airy setting with plenty of room for our group at two attractive huge, round tables with nice linen cloths and napkins.

The menu included old favorites and new and unusual breakfast and lunch dishes. As usual, the food was delicious and abundant. Omelets made to order were a favorite. The staff members were friendly and accommodating. It was acceptable to bring in a special cake which our server took to the kitchen to be cut. Next celebration....we will be back.

Reviewed 3 October 2016 via mobile

Came here with my wife and daughter on a beautiful day. Grounds are wonderful but I wasn't impressed with the brunch. Selection included an omelet station where the chef was obviously new and a little clueless. He burnt my wife's eggs. Buffett selection was limited to about eight choices for hot food, six or eight trays of deserts and a salad table. Not terrible but certainly not a wide range of choices. Service was excellent but tables and chairs were old and shaky. Our table wobbled every time someone touched it. Price doesn't include drinks of any kind, not even coffee or tea. Spent $100 for three people for breakfast and only one of us had a Mimosa. Not coming back.